“Definitely not what it used to be”

T Bonz Steakhouse of Augusta
Ranked #12 of 495 Restaurants in Augusta
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 4 September 2017

Very sorry to have to say this, as I've been there a hundred times and left happy......
So, I've been visiting TBonz for many years, since they opened, going back to the days where they could rightfully boast of having the "Best steak known to man". But my, how times have changed. We went there tonight after a 2 year absence (too many other favorites), and were very, very disappointed. Wife usually gets a small Phil's Filet, but instead got the salmon......she said it was dry, tasteless, and much overcooked. I ordered the large Phil's Filet (Mignon), and was somewhat puzzled when it arrived. It was much thinner than normal, and looked more like a sirloin. When I cut it, it was very tough to cut with a knife, unlike any "filet" I've ever had. The taste was so different from even a half-decent filet (on a scale of 1-10, it was a 2), and was tough to chew....took me forever. I called over the server and asked if it was indeed a filet, and she said she would ask the chef. She came back and reported that yes, he said it was a filet, but "maybe not center cut"..... DUH. Frankly it was awful---not a flavorful steak at all...tasted "strange". I was shocked. She asked me if I wanted another steak, but I declined----too late, not interested. If that was a filet, it was the worst filet I've ever had. (And I've had many fantastic ones even recently, like at Houston's in Atlanta, at Lobster Chophouse in Atlanta, at a Ruth's Chris out of town, at Hall's Chophouse in Charleston, and many others------and locally at various of the better Augusta restaurants within the past year.) No longer can TBonz boast of "the greatest steak known to man"....not even the "Best Steak in Augusta" as they used to do for many years running. Hope they know to take away THAT ad. Now TBonz is not even in the top 10 in Augusta, maybe 12 or 15, and that's a fact. Compared to Frog Hollow, Cadwalladers's, Calvert's, Abel Brown, Sheehan's, Beck's, Rae's, Augustino's, Oliviana, French Market Grille, Country Boy's in Keysville, and chains like Longhorn's, California Dreamin', Bonefish, Carrabba's, and even Texas Roadhouse, TBonz gets blown away. Sorry, guys at TBonz, but my time there is forever done. A filet is a prime cut of beef, and what I was served was more akin to something at Applebee's (an experience I had there 15 years ago when another couple insisted we go---yuk! Yes, I lowered my standards). And another thing---the restaurant looked very tired and old, nothing to look forward to, that's for sure. I would rate it as "poor" at best. Just a bad night? Sorry, can't have "bad nights", as what goes out of the kitchen means something to me. I can't believe it could sink so low, and I hope the ownership (whom I know---- sorry, "H") gets a wake-up call soon, because his Masters business will suffer greatly. Future doesn't look good, imho. From now on, I'll simply pick any of the other places mentioned when I want a good steak. My only hope is that someday I hear that TBonz has regained the following it once had because of GOOD STEAKS. Really, I hope so.

Reviewed 30 August 2017

With a large group here. The server did excellent with the number of people he had to take care of. The steak was fair did not have much taste. Food was served hot but the rib eye was tasteless.

Reviewed 29 August 2017

The food is very good and service was reasonable considering the size of my party. I had a Caesar Salad to begin. I was disappointed to find that it was tossing in a real Caesar dressing, but it was good.

I ordered the Black and Bleu Filet and it was well prepared. This was accompanied with the side order of Sauteed Mushrooms and Onions. It was a lot more onions than mushrooms.

The atmosphere was busy and it was very noisy. Yet the overall experience was good.

Reviewed 26 August 2017 via mobile

2nd time here and it was off the hook! Wife had 10oz ribeye medium she said it was DAM good. I had the Drunkin Ribeye medium , it was awesome. Tommy fries is a must.. Terrance was our server is very knowledgeable of his steaks. He also has a great personality. We will be back!

Reviewed 9 August 2017 via mobile

This restaurant is in our home city and we frequent it often. It can be for couples or family; and for causal or fine dining. You will not go away hungry. The appetizer "potato fries" will definitely fool you as they are chunks of about two potatoes cut up, cooked of course; spread over ranch dressing and covered with bacon and other wonderful, delicious additions for a very reasonable price. I usual go away eating only that and thus have had a "stuffed baked potato" and am very happy. On the other hand, their steaks, crab cakes, and other items are delicious as well. ENJOY!! You won't be disappointed!