“A Great Experience” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Class Act

Class Act
Reserve with OpenTable
Class Act is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #453 of 927 Restaurants in Maui
Cuisines: European, International
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Saskatchewan
“A Great Experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2013

The food and service was excellent. The cuisine was Moroccan when we went. The courses included: amuse bouche, naan bread, appetizer, soup or salad, entree and dessert.

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank SK_Sun_Girl

Newberg, Oregon
“Best value, by far, on Maui”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2012

If you want maximum value for your dining dollar, you can't do better than Lei's Class Act at bthe UH Maui culinary school. It's been a "must" destination on all of our trips to Maui ever since we discovered it. I'm mystified why there are so few reviews of this gem -- even at twice the price, you rarely will find meals of this quality on Maui.
Our most recent visit with friends and family was again close to perfect -- only a couple dishes were less than satisfactory for our guests. To start, our server brought out spoons of an amuse' bouche' -- a lovely take on caprese salad, with bits of fresh mozzarella, tomato bits and basil. The following cold appetizer, Ahi carpaccio with olive relish and roasted garlic aioli was so good, I would have been happy continuing with several more servings of that alone!
The hot appetizers were a little more mixed. The roasted butternut squash soup with creme fraiche and sage butter was silky heaven in a bowl. Extraordinary flavors that, again, would have made a most satisfying meal. The zucchini saltimbocca with fresh tomato coulis was a bit soggy for one diner, although the taste I had of my wife's dish was quite crispy; the tomato sauce was excellent, everyone agreed.
We tried all three entree offerings. The grilled lamb sirloin was delicious and tender, although one of my pieces was done almost to medium, while the second was a pefectly pink medium rare. One other diner had the same situation -- two pieces cooked differently. The pine-nut crusted opah was a great piece of fish, set off by a slightly spicy tomato-caper-butter sauce. the vegetarian entree, portobello and spinach ravioli featured several large ravioli with a light butter and cheese sauce that complemented, rather than overwhelmed the pasta. I'm a devout carnivore, but I would have been more than happy with that as my main course.
We finished off with a decadent, yet not-too-sweet mocha mascarpone panna cotta with pistachio gelato. The gelato wasn't as flavor-forward as we might have liked, but the panna cotta more that diverted our attention. The French press coffee service at the end of the meal, but for some reason, they couldn't get the water hot enough for one of our group. The others with the coffee service had no problem, but it took 3 times before they finally got it right. To the restaurant's credit, they comped the coffee for everyone without being asked, and our server promptly took it back each time with no complaint or argument.
Although both the chefs in the kitchen and the servers on the floor are still students, the whole experience was quite professional and very much what you'd expect in a fine dining restaurant. We brought our own wines (high-end Bordeaux and Oregon pinot noir) and although our server obviously was not familiar with them, she was quite competent in opening them. When offered the "Dollar Tree" glasses, we asked for better stemware, and she was able to find some large-bowled stemware that showed off the wines much better. She seemed to take our hints and requests in the instructive manner we intended, and are quite certain she will be an excellent assest to a fine dining establishment in the near future!
Thank you again Class Act students and advisers/teachers for a most enjoyable meal. At $32, what a bargain! We will be back many more times, you can count on it!

• Visited October 2012
4 Thank OregonJohn97338
Quesnel, BC
“Excellent”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2012

My wife and I ate lunch there with Rotary Club of Maui, the culinary students practicising their skills on us Rotarians. I have no idea what we ate (they forgot to give us their menu for the day), but I do remember the appetizer was a crab cake that was sublime, and the entree and dessert were both delicious. Best of all, I did not feel hungry after eating...something that happens a lot when restaurants focus more on the feeding my eyes than my appetite!
If I have one criticism it would be that it is not easy to locate and a website would be nice...but this hidden treasure is worth finding

• Visited April 2012
1 Thank Deebwex
Saint Louis, Missouri
“a culinary experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2012

Joined them for their last dinner of the year on dec. 7. It was a 5 course dinner w/paired wines culinary extravaganza.. A few of the courses were duck, lamb, and scallops. It began with Champagne, and a caviar topped ahi(I believe) pupu. Everything was excellent & the service impeccable, We've dined here on all our previous maui trips. I don't remember how my wife learned of it, but it's a real culinary experience at a reasonable price. Something I recommend to all my fellow uncultured blackguards. The dinners are prepared and served under the strict supervision of a number of top island instructor/chefs. It's all part of the culinary class their all attending. I've never had a bad dinner and many were down-right memorable. All this, casual dress, and a great view of the north harbor to boot. It's a culinary training experience well worth experiencing. Thanks CLASS ACT for the memories.

• Visited December 2011
1 Thank robert b
Newberg, Oregon
“Too good to keep secret”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2011

My wife and I discovered this gem several years ago on one of many trips to Maui. We've made it a must to have lunch there on every visit since. Already looking forward to returning next fall when friends will be joining us. Class Act's renditions of French, Italian, Latin cuisine -- whatever the theme -- is always flavorful, authentic and thoroughly enjoyable. In addition to a guaranteed first-class meal at a bargain price for the quality, the student servers are not only competent, but amiable, enthusiastic and a total delight in their interactions with us. We can't say enough about the wonderful times we've experienced here. Many of our best Maui meal memories (including David Paul, Roy's,Tropica Cuatro...) come from Class Act. I just hope letting the world know about it doesn't make it impossible for us to get reservations in the future!

• Visited October 2011