“Best Meal in Maui, Best Mahi Mahi of my Life”

Hali’imaile General Store
Reserve with OpenTable
Hali’imaile General Store is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #63 of 1,048 Restaurants in Maui
Price range: US$31 - US$50
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Hali'imaile General Store is Bev's original and most acclaimed restaurant featuring eclectic Pacific regional American cuisine with Asian overtones. We strive to use fresh, local ingredients and service with aloha. We look forward to sharing meals with loved ones, close friends and our new friends. Mahalo for your support and a hui hou (until we meet again).
Reviewed May 27, 2018

After recommendations from a friend and former native to the island (thanks Ginger!) we ate dinner at Hali’imaile General Store after driving up from the beach of Wailea. We were not disappointed as the food was delicious and ended up being the best tasting meal of our whole trip.

We started off with some ”Togarashi Shishito Peppers - blistered semi-spicy peppers tossed with togarashi, kabayaki sauce 10” and the “Sashimi Napoleon - layers of ahi tartare, smoked salmon, sashimi ahi, crispy wonton stack wasabi vinaigrette 24”, both of which were great ways to start off a meal, especially the Napoleon, which was practically a meal on its own.

For main course we had the “HGS House Salad - fresh island greens, orange segments, toasted walnuts, shaved maui onions, balsamic vinaigrette 10” and “Macadamia Nut Crusted Mahi Mahi - tropical fruit salsa, whipped molokai sweet potatoes, mango-lilikoi butter sauce 42”. The fish was a nice thick cut and the juiciest piece that I had on my whole vacation. I kept ordering mahi-mahi at other places hoping for another masterpiece, but all fell short of HGS (Paia Fish Market was a close second, but missing the gourmet accompaniments).

The presentations were simple and elegant, with attention to detail even down to the small garnishes and one could tell right away that there was a chef in the kitchen who cared about their craft. Only later (on a trip to the restroom and seeing all the articles on the wall) did I discover that it is the restaurant of Chef Bev Gannon, one of Maui’s and Hawai’i’s leading chefs. It showed. A job well done!

Mahalo to Ginger for the recommendation, Janet for being the hostess with the mostess, and Chef Gannon for creating such a gem of a restaurant in a quiet little upcountry location.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,307)

Reviewed May 24, 2018

The atmosphere was relaxed and Chef Mark wowed us with creative appetizers . Our waiter Chris was very entertaining.

Reviewed May 23, 2018 via mobile

An an upmarket eatery this place is great definitely worth a visit. Our sandwiches were really tasty and the chips were great, even if one portion between two people would have cut it.

We didn't fancy the desserts that much but then they're competing with Hawaii's famous shaved ice so it was always going to be stacked against them. But Dale was a great host and we had a good meal.

Reviewed May 20, 2018 via mobile

We arranged for dinner at the Hali'imaile General Store after staying for the sunset atop Mt. Haleakala. The sunset in mid-May was around 7:00 pm, and the drive to Hali'imaile a little over an hour, so an 8:30 pm reservation was about perfect. While we originally made our reservation out of convenience (we were driving back to Wailea), the General Store is worth a special trip even if you are not planning a visit upcountry. Of course, we had to try the crab pizza, which is very good (and very rich!) The Sashimi Napoleon was outstanding and is highly recommended. My order of ribs was nicely prepared, with the meat practically falling off the bone. While we enjoyed our time at our resort in Wailea, it was nice to escape to a place that served great food and felt more "genuine," with a good local to tourist ratio.

Reviewed May 14, 2018

A friend recommended this place as a "must" when visiting Maui. We were out sightseeing and decided to try and get in for dinner without having made a reservation. It's a popular spot but we managed to get a table for 2. We tried the special appetizer of the day, fried avocado - delicious. I ordered Coconut Seafood Curry and weeks later I am still raving about how good it was. My sister ordered Paniolo Ribs - tender and finger-licking good! Their version of a mai tai is the "Tai Mai" - again, delicious! Even the decaf iced coffee I ordered was superb. I really hope I make it to Maui again so I can visit this wonderful restaurant.