“Not our goal, but worth the visit”
Review of Gumrai Thai

Gumrai Thai
Price range: US$10 - US$15
Cuisines: Thai
Reviewed July 23, 2016

My friends and I were in Arlington Heights as a weekend trip into the Chicago area. The first night, we wanted some more exotic food - Thai, Malaysian, Japanese, Indian, Moroccan, Afghani. We were headed to another Thai place, but passed it accidentally when we saw Gumrai and that they had parking next to the restaurant. That was the deciding factor.

Although we initially concerned that the sign at the counter said "No sushi", the waiter assured us that they had some that day and we could order it. The more conventional members of the group got traditional Chinese food, the more adventurous got green curry. Most of us indulged in our sushi fetish, and were amply rewarded.

The food was tasty, hot, and well prepared. The appetizers followed conventional treatments, but were clearly made fresh. The fish was outstanding and sweet as candy. Even the green curry, eaten by a connoisseur, went down very well. Everyone was happy with the meal, and the prices were not extreme.

The only criticism we have - the restaurant was hot. We sweated in our seats despite the weather being mild outside.

But with food this good, I can ignore that.

Reviewed May 4, 2016

We dine here monthly, crab rangoons the best you will find. Thai , Chinese and sushi. All good. Friendly service and nice atmosphere. near downtown.

Reviewed April 14, 2016 via mobile

They seem to have flavorful dishes with traditional seasoning but the atmosphere was pretty bland. Our server was polite & efficient but that was about it. I will probably go somewhere else for my Thai fix next time I'm in town.

Reviewed January 10, 2016 via mobile

This is my favorite Thai place in Arlington Heights. Everything is always good and the service prompt. It's a little annoying that, if the Sushi chef does not come in, they have no sushi that day, but that's my only complaint.

Reviewed January 5, 2016 via mobile

We used to order from here until we moved from Arlington Heights. We miss their panang salmon and the pad se ew.