“Very good”

Ttowa
Price range: US$8 - US$18
Cuisines: Korean
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Ttowa specializes in Korean dumplings, complimented by homemade dipping sauces. We’re a family owned restaurant with over 14 years in the restaurant business. We’re the previous owners of Ttowa Dumpling House in Morton Grove, IL. Come visit our *new* location in the downtown Arlington Heights area.
Reviewed June 20, 2017

We went on a Friday night- crowded and had to wait a bit. Very nice owner- had a couple craft beers while waiting. Korean food is not my usual- but this is a good place to try. Kind of Americanized- mellow flavors. Had the buns to start- excellent. The Dukk Bokki - a bit to dense for me. The Kalbi and Pork Belly very good! Will be back. Oh- asked about corkage and was told they do not allow it anymore. Had heard it was $10 a bottle- but I guess no longer.

Reviewed March 31, 2017

To make it clear, there is nothing I like more than marinated Kalbi presented table side over hot coals or hardwood for personal grilling like at San Soo Gaeb San. This however is another side of Korean food.
We started with the Corn Tea, served nice and hot with good (corny) flavor; a nice variation on Barley Tea. We enjoyed the Bun combo of two pork and two chicken; these are not like Chinese Buns with the meat inside, but rolled buns with substantially more meat; good flavors but rich.
We were given 5 sides (which is less than I'm used to): broccoli, cucumber, potato salad, dried fish and kimchee. The last 3 were especially good, but we scarfed them all and were offered (and accepted) replacements.
We had a soup and the Kalbi and Stew (spicy tofu with bacon). The soup and stew were very good; I take issue with the Kalbi which was covered with a very sweet sauce; the sauce was overly sweet and masked the flavor of the marinated meat (I'm not a purist - I do like my meat marinated, just not jellied).
Service was very nice with timely refills of tea and water.
I would recommend everything but the Kalbi.

Reviewed January 15, 2017 via mobile

Two couples having a wonderful dinner experience! We had a reservation, a must as very popular for all good reasons!
So enjoyed having the sample dishes for all of us to share, including cucumbers, potato salad, kimchi, etc. We had two appetizers: Belly Buns and Dak (chicken) Buns. Each plate had four. Entrees ordered: Dak Kalbi x 2 (fire grilled chicken); Ojngeo (Sauteed Squid); and Bibimbap (Traditional Rice Bowl) - requested 1/2 tofu 1/2 chicken, they were able to do. Waiter suggested adding $2, very hot bowl almost fried the sticky rice. As I mixed and scrapped my bowl with my metal chopsticks, was fantastic. Highly recommend adding this option! Two of us (ladies) brought leftovers home.
Restaurant staff very helpful and knowledgeable. Water is served in a large cold glass bottle, one per two people so we could refill our water. We also ordered a small bottle of Chum Churum (peach), shared, served in shot glasses, Fun! Need to ask for this, I don't think it's on the drink menu.
Highly recommend!

Reviewed January 4, 2017 via mobile

Such a great find. The spicy pork bun apps were outstanding as was the stews and soups we all got . Prices good and the atmosphere cozy .

Reviewed October 9, 2016

Just moved into the area. Happy to see a Korean restaurant option in my neighborhood. Service is attentive and informal. Definitely feel like we were guests vs. patrons. Make reservations if you plan on dining here on a Fri or Sat night.

Chef will adjust the "heat" to your dish if you see an entree you'd like to try but you're concerned it will be too spicy.

Apps were as good as the entrees. Good portions. Unusual dishes, all very flavorful. They'll plate your table up to share dishes or have your own entree if you'd prefer.

This restaurant has moderately priced asian fusion dishes but some might consider it pricey for this cuisine. Still cheaper than a steak joint and a whole lot more eclectic. A fun place, change of pace for sure.

The menu options are just adventurous enough that I have to warn readers that this is not your normal asian takeout. Be prepared for new flavors, recipes and condiments you wouldn't normally see at your table. This may not be for you if you're a meat & potatoes, American cuisine mid-westerner who doesn't normally like to try new things.

Fit for foodies I suppose.

In downtown Arlington Heights, close to the train so city patrons could easily dine here. No need for a car