“Great service!”

Ranked #19 of 20 Hotels in Ames
Harlan, Iowa, United States
“Great service!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2012

Staff was extremely helpful and friendly. Good location with updated rooms. Hotel was undergoing renovations, but nothing disturbed my stay. Staff very helpful in helping me retrieve an item left behind in my room after check out. Highly recommended and a great value!

Room Tip: Enjoyed my non-smoking room
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Matt S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Menomonie
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2012

Newly updated. Our rooms were fresh and clean. Staff was friendly. Breakfast basic. Loved the price!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Ann P
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2012

We just stayed here last weekend. Checked in rather late and got attitude from the lady at the desk. The double room was small and smelled like sewage had backed up. The beds were smaller than our full bed at home. Really unpleasant.

• Stayed January 2012
1 Thank Mizanne

Travellers are raving about these Ames hotels

De Witt, IA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 September 2011

I have had a very negative experience with this hotel: I made reservations over the phone 3 months in advance (at that time it was the ONLY hotel with available rooms for that weekend--minimum 2 night stay since it is a home Cyclones football weekend) and never received a confirmation e-mail as stated that I would. I remember being told 48 -hour cancellation policy...no problem. I called to cancel the Wednesday morning prior to the stay (at 8:05 am) and was told that it is a "busy weekend" so they need 7-days' notice. I was not told this nor do I have an email stating this policy, but because of this "policy" they are going to charge me for BOTH nights at their escalated rate due to their "busy weekend." I was told I would be charged for both nights' stay unless they were able t fill the rooms...OK, two hours later i called Days Inn Ames to let them know that I had someone who wanted the room for Saturday night, and was told that "that's ok we're only going to charge you for 1 night...that's ok..." They had filled the Saturday "reservation" within 2 hours of me "canceling" it because it was so sought after, but are still going to charge me for Friday night. So I inquired if they were full on Friday night or whether they still had rooms available--and Yes, they do indeed have 5 other rooms available besides the room that I was canceling!! I do not think this is fair--and I told them so, to absolutely no avail. If they were completely full I would understand the charge, or at least be more understanding--even though I am disputing the reveal itself of the "7-day" policy...
Look online and read other reviews--this place is not well-kept and due to their policies I WILL NEVER STAT HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank deedee188
Onalaska, WI
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2011

Non-smoking room that smelled like the bottom of an ash tray. Side door to hotel not at all secure, unless duct tape counts. Cramped parking lot with very narrow parking stalls. Continental breakfast was a joke.

Room Tip: Room look very tired, and smelled very bad!!
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
Apple Valley, Minnesota
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2011

This hotel is a little rough around the edges but clean, safe and well equipped. The whole building is a bit cramped, rooms, hallways, lobby and especially the breakfast area is small. Everything in the room worked, microwave, fridge, bed wasn't uncomfortable. Desk didn't have any unused power outlets so I had to unplug things to use computer and phone charger.
Stayed three nights, maid service was spotty, beds were made but little things were overlooked. Breakfast area tiny and food selection wasn't good at all, very small selection if items and bad coffee. Luckily Panera is next door and Perkins across the street. A small nit, parking spaces are tiny, OK for a small car but useless for a larger one. Wifi performed reasonably well.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
Ames, Iowa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2011

I moved to ames for work and needed a place to stay until I found an apartment. Andy was very helpful in getting me in at a reasonable rate and made sure my stay was good. thank you Andy and staff for a great stay!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business