“Hidden gem in Ames!”

Ranked #51 of 213 Restaurants in Ames
Price range: US$0 - US$13
Cuisines: Vietnamese
Reviewed September 29, 2016 via mobile

Discovered this place in August, 2013 just before we left Ames and regretted not to visit it before. It is located on Colorado avenue right next to pamel grocery store.

The food taste amazing and the service was good too. Food portions are huge and cheap. Do try pho if it's still on the menu as I have recently heard from a friend in Ames that they have changed their menu and no longer serve Vietnamese dishes.

Reviewed June 27, 2016

I love asian food and le's is almost what you get in vietnam. for ames area it by far the best. the pho is great. my sister hates asain food and she had to admit its really good. do your self a favor and stop in. you'll be happy you did

Reviewed May 22, 2016 via mobile

The resturant was definitely more chinese and less Vietnamese. We ordered the Pho, Szechuan chicken, mango bubble tea and coconut bubble tea. The only thing that was good was the Szechuan chicken. The Pho is very plain and noodles not fully cooked. The bubble tea had no taste to them. The service wasn't that great. I had to flag down our waitress and the guy next to our table had to go up to the counter to ask for more rice. I won't return.

1  Thank Hell0KittyL0ve
Reviewed October 17, 2015

We always stopped to eat Le's amazing Vietnamese food when we were driving through Ames. It's been about three years since we were in, so we were surprised to see the menu with all Chinese dishes and all the lovely Vietnamese dishes gone. No more lemon grass chicken or pho. No more nuoc mam served alongside. The menu is in English and Chinese characters–it should have clued us in that the Vietnamese names of dishes were gone.

Now the food is definitely Chinese. My daughter had a whole fish cooked in bean sauce, which was simply outstanding, and everything else we ordered was very good. But they ought to stop calling this a Vietnamese restaurant, especially since it was around for so long as a Vietnamese restaurant.

Also: we ordered two appetizers and a few entrees, but the food all came at different times. That was fine, because we always share plates, but if you want different courses to arrive separately you might need to ask.

1  Thank catherine w
Reviewed October 7, 2015

Place was packed with Chinese students on a team buffet dinner when I went here. I was informed they were with the Chinese Hockey team. As that perspicacious commenter of our times Butthead would observe "Uh…..what?"

More hard to believe word juxtapositions followed. Cold blended vegetables, cold blended pig ears, pork and duck blood tofu in spicy hot oil.

Looking for something simple? How about Flavor Potato Silk? More complex? Why not Cold Blended Spicy And Sour Potato Silk? Sounds like people are clamoring for Potato Silk, why not jump on the bandwagon? Googling revealed such secrets as "a lot of people know that vinegar fried shredded potatoes sometimes didn't grasp proper metric, is affecting the taste". I hate it when potatoes don't grasp the proper metric! Don't they know it will affect the taste?! Damn them and the tubers they grew up from!

Try to pierce the mystery of the stoic and enigmatic "Northern Dish". Try to pierce with your teeth "Pepper Fried Gristle". Ow! Was that a molar? Just make sure your safe word is agreed upon before venturing into parts of the menu with such fare as Slippery Meat and Mushroom Fried Rapes.

Eventually "pork belly with sweet potato noodles" and "sparerib something maybe potatoes I forget I liked the photo on the wall" were procured to go. Neither were bad but neither were great. Liked the sweet noodle one better even though after cooling at least a solid half cup of fat was visible - don't accuse them of skimping on the calories!