“A very good deal - clean & quiet”
Review of Super 8 Anamosa IA

Super 8 Anamosa IA
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Anamosa
Reviewed 17 January 2012

This Super 8 exceeded my expectations. The rooms have recently been upgraded, they are all clean and comfortable. The staff is friendly and helpful. The location is perfect - very convenient to Hwy 151 as well as many local businesses, including the Motorcycle Museum. I thought this hotel was a very good value.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank Robi_JC

Reviewed 22 December 2011

A very basic room with a fridge and microwave. Good location right off of the highway, and just across the street from the motorcycle museum. They do have a continental breakfast, although it was extremely limited, not very tasty at all and you had to hunt down things like butter and jelly. Breakfast area was very small compared to a lot of other places - you could probably only fit a dozen or so people comfortably. Front desk staff was friendly enough, but you almost felt as if you were bothering them if you asked a question. They are pet-friendly but be prepared to sign your life away! All-in-all, it wasn't a horrible experience... but I would definitely take the time to scope out other places.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Trina R
Reviewed 7 November 2011

This was a nightmare!! The hotel looks run down and shabby from the outside- we almost thought we were in the wrong place it was so run down- peeling paint, rooms are pretty worn out. Used a debit card BIG MISTAKE DO NOT DO THIS!!!!!! And used a different card when I checked in at to pay for the room. They charged my original card the $69.00 room rate AND THEY CHARGED MY OTHER CARD $89.85, WHEN MY RECEIPT SHOWED I PAID $78.35!!!! When I called they told me it was my fault I changed cards and that it would clear off my account on FRIDAY....(I checked out on sunday and this was monday when I discovered the double room charges, PLUS 11.50 IN INCIDENTALS JUST IN CASE. I HAD CHECKED OUT SO THERE WERE NO FURTHER CHARGES...BUT THEY ARE HOLDING MY $$ FOR MONDAY TILL FRIDAY AND I "DIDN'T UNDERSTAND" THAT IT WILL CLEAR UP ON FRIDAY------WHAT A RIP OFF. I HAVE BEEN OVERCHARGED AND DOUBLE BILLED AND THEY TAKE 5 DAYS TO GIVE MY $$ BACK. AVOID THIS PLACE AT ALL COST!!! And the continental breakfast was fruit loops and toast- thankfully McDs in across the street!

Room Tip: Don't stay here!!
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
AnamosaSuper8, Manager at Super 8 Anamosa IA, responded to this reviewResponded 10 November 2011

We apologize for the inconvenience you encountered at our Super 8. We take great pride in providing the best service to our guests. We sincerely appreciate your business with our hotel. Your bill was not an error, all hotels upon check in authorize the credit card for the room charge and a little bit extra to verify if they are using a valid form of payment. The hotel just just received an "A" on its latest Quality Assurance. I think the fact that your credit card has a hold on it, is making your judgement cloudy. We are in the process of renovating the whole entire hotel inside and out. Once you understand how a hotel operates then you will see you weren't "ripped offed". When you go to McDonald's do they serve you the food before you pay them? If we did not authorize credit cards upon check-in and preauthorize them for express check-ins we would lose a lot of revenues due to credit cards declining. So sorry, if you feel that way. Our breakfast is what Super 8 requires us to have. I am also sorry that you want the sun, moon and the stars. Super 8 is an economy hotel, you can not compare us the the Hilton or Marriott. We hope that you and your family will give us a second chance to make things right. Look forward to your next stay with us.

Reviewed 7 October 2011

For $69 a night, I would not consider "basic" a normal motel room in the "middle" of Iowa. The perfume smell in the room to "freshen it up" was VERY strong. The person on duty said that they had a fan (they smelled it and agreed it was strong.) They offered me a larger room downstairs that smelled wet and moldy and was higher priced. I should have left at this point, but was too tired/too late to argue. Coffee maker had a dirty burner - no indicator as to where the fill mark was (assumed was the top neck, but it wasn't, so hello super-weak coffee.) No stir stick in the "package" - one pkg with one pkg creamer, one sugar, one napkin - but pot was to designed to make 4 cups. Alarm/clock/radio was completely unplugged, so had to set everything from scratch (but coffee pot was not!) Only one bath towel, and two face towels (& 2 washcloths) for a queen-sized room. No extra blankets in the room at all. No Gideon Bible. I sometimes like to read but didn't bring anything. If I would have not been charged $69, I would not gripe. It would be fine at 1/2 the price, but I had simply assumed better. My fault.

Room Tip: Check the room BEFORE you buy.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
AnamosaSuper8, General Manager at Super 8 Anamosa IA, responded to this reviewResponded 8 October 2011

We at Super 8 value our guest’s feedback. Please know that we strive to make each and everyone’s stay nothing less than satisfactory. We apologize that yours was anything less. Please know that your issues have been addressed and hope that you will find that the next time you travel through you will give us another try.

Reviewed 21 June 2011

I dont know what kind of owners they have had changed to , but let me tell you what (Ray) sits in the lobby, T.V blaring. also I noticed his wife or girlfriend does the housekeeping, but she is doing it ALL DAY LONG , to like 9 pm I seen her in the hallway still cleaning. I actually felt sorry for her !!!!

Room Tip: go on to the Americ inn..
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
AnamosaSuper8, Manager at Super 8 Anamosa IA, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2011

May 23th 2011

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for sharing your comments regarding your recent stay at the Super 8 of Anamosa, in Anamosa, IA. Our top priority is creating an environment in which our guest can relax, renew, and recharge. Please accept my apologies for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay. Constructive feedback from our guests is crucial in our continued quest to provide unparalleled guest service and impeccably clean lodging accommodations.

I am sorry that you had a problem with me sitting in the lobby and enjoying watching the news after a long day. The management team has given us permission to watch TV in the lobby, long as our daily task has been done for our shift. I'm not sure what type of business you would run, but we here are offered a working environment which is friendly. The management team lets us have the option to either sit at the front desk or watch TV in the lobby. I think that after you checked in with a COUPON into our hotel it was the last room sold. Common sense would let any night clerk know that when there isn't any rooms left to be sold and all the duties of the shift are completed, that they should just relax till they clock out. I would never work for a company where they pay you minimum wage and ask for you to work like slaves. I'm sorry that you may have seen me trying to relax after a long hard day at work and winding down till the clock expires. I hope that it didn't offend you to see me not tired and sweaty like it was a 3rd world work environment. The other contradiction I don't understand is that you said the hotel was unclean? Then on the other hand you seen an employee cleaning the hallways till about 9pm? We here at the Super 8 are encourage not to date co workers do to our sexual harassment policies. You advised our future guest to go to the Americ Inn, which is a wonderful new hotel. And yet you come to our hotel and pay 40% off the rack rate. I don't think that they would have accommodated you with your small budget like we have. You must be addressing this out of frustration due to the fact that you may have seen me enjoy my self because I was done with my duties and the other employees of the hotel were still working since they haven't finished the work which was assigned to them. I am sorry you are upset because I executed my duties fully and effectively. In the future can you please get off you High Horse and understand how a hotel works and that we are just trying to get by in life like you are. There is no reason for you to give us a bad review, when we are working our behinds off to make this hotel more accommodating. It took God Seven Days to make this Earth, and it still isn't perfect. Please don't hate us because we are trying to chase the American Dream and working long hard hours to get there. If you only knew the work we get accomplished every day that you do not see. Just because you caught glimpse of a small fraction of our day there is no reason to assume anything.

Again, we apologize for the experience you encountered. It is our wish that you will continue to benefit from our excellent accommodations, exceptional guest service, and that you will honor us with another opportunity to exceed your expectations. We are dedicated to providing the highest standards of service for our guest and I can assure you we will do everything we can to make your stay a comfortable and happy one. We look forward to serving you again in the future.

Regards,

Ray Patel
AGM
Super 8 of Anamosa

Reviewed 10 June 2011

Thanks to Ray ( the owner ) and his staff we were made to feel as if we were from Anamosa,rather than just visiting,we were helped with the best places to eat how to get there and with the hotel pretty much in the middle of everything, it would have been almost immpossible to get lost which helped us squeeze alot more things to do in just the two days we were there. But we already know we are going back and where we'll be staying ( see you soon Ray!! )

Room Tip: Stay close to front for the 24hr. coffee
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 May 2011

I have been to some bad motel rooms but never, ever this bad. Run while you can! Should I start with the mold? Don't walk bare footed on the carpet-why-within 10 sec. your feet will be BLACK! Bathroom fixtures have visual mold on them (have pictures). A/C unit has mold. Owners said they had just purchased property within the last 30 days-bad investment or they are lazy at fixing this place up. Seriously if I didn't have a funeral to attend I would have called and waited for the health department! Manager, would take other phone calls as I (I am a paying customer) waited for him to finish so he could assist me. Security lights in parking lot are out. AND THE SMELL IS BEYOND DESCRIPTION. My recommendation for this discust-o-rama is shut this place down fix this old flood property and then re-open. And only then. I will be contacting AAA, I physically became ill, this place is so unhealthy its dangerous.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel to get the best room
  • Stayed: May 2011
AnamosaSuper8, Manager at Super 8 Anamosa IA, responded to this reviewResponded 25 May 2011

Dear Guest,

I am very sorry that your experience was less than perfect. Our goal here at the Super 8 Anamosa is to provide you with the best possible stay. If you did notice the unpleasant environment, you should have alerted staff right away. They would have gone out of there way to make sure you were better accommodated. If your feet was turning black after tens seconds, I think the right choice would have been to alert the front desk and ask to be put in an upgraded room. It is no fault of yours. I understand that you might have been experiencing some depression due to the death in your family (funeral), and I would like you to return to Anamosa in the near future and give us another opportunity to make your stay a pleasant one. When we did our daily courtesy call you said everything was just fine. We had no idea until we seen this post that you had a bad experience. The new management understands your concerns and is working around the clock to make sure the appropriate steps are taken to prevent future problems. We just had the health inspector out here after the new management took over. This is common practice when you apply for a hotel license. The inspector gave us our license. If the inspector would have thought that the health of future guest was at risk she would have not given us the license. So the conclusion that I came up with was that maybe since you had to wait at checkout to get your bill you might be holding some ill feelings towards us. In your post you said you had to wait and because the staff was on the phone with another guest. We appreciate the fact that you are a paying customer and we respect your opinion. If a phone call comes in it is Super 8 policy that we pick up the phone within three rings. I’m sorry that you had to wait the extra 20 seconds till you received assistance. Our parents taught us to treat everyone equal. Just because you had spent money doesn’t give you priority over another person. We treat everyone with the same common courtesy and due respect they deserve. That person that was on the other line did book a block of rooms for May 25th by the way. In our line of work it is not about how much money you spent with us, it is about how much we can do to provide the best possible experience for our guest and that we treat you with the respect you deserve and are entitled to. Again I would like to extend out my deepest sympathy for the loss of your family member and wish that you return in the near future to give us the opportunity to make mends.

The appropriate steps to ensure that these challenges don’t happen again were made. The staff has also been made aware of your comments and will be very involved in the corrective action taken to prevent future issues. This is certainly a training opportunity for our team.

Please accept our atonement with a discount off your next stay with us. To assure that this unpleasant experience doesn’t occur again we are going to make the right changes and make updating the hotel our top priority.

Regards,

Ray

AGM

Super 8 of Anamosa

Also consider these accommodations in or near Anamosa
13.6 km away
Boulders Inn & Suites Monticello
2.4 km away
AmericInn Lodge & Suites Anamosa
24.8 km away
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Marion/Cedar Rapids

Been to Super 8 Anamosa IA? Share your experiences!