“Excellent Food inside the Blue Gate”
Review of Cafe Jawharat Fes

Cafe Jawharat Fes
Ranked #60 of 224 Restaurants in Fes
Reviewed 30 October 2017

Cafe Jawharat is the first restaurant on the right as you go through the Blue Gate. It has blue tiles on the inside walls. The food here is cheap, tasty and well prepared. Tagines for 40 to 50 dirhams are great value, much cheaper than the tourist restaurants your guide will take you to. The owner speaks English and has menus in English. He is a very nice and helpful person. To avoid the rip off tourist restaurants, have lunch here and meet your guide to tour from here. Be aware the guides will quote a 3 hour rate, but with the visits to the high pressure carpet, leather, fabric and pharmaceutical places,it will take 6 hours and you will be charged double. TheJawharat Cafe is a great place to eat and a focal point around which to base your visit to the Medina.

1  Thank dubsMelbourne

Reviewed 23 October 2017 via mobile

Good location, nice atmosphere, tasty food.
We had the mince kebab and roast chicken which came with a colourful salad, rice and fries. I’d say an all round nice balanced meal for lunch.

Reviewed 23 September 2017

After we were disappointed by a top rated restaurant previously, we asked our hosts at our riad for a recommendation for dinner, and he suggested the Cafe Jawharat Fes.

It’s situated just inside the Bab Boujloud and has a relaxed dining atmosphere with low tables in- and outside.

We settled on a lamb kebab dish and a chicken and almond tagine. The kebabs were good – certainly way ahead of the disaster we had elsewhere, but the tagine was to die for! Probably the best tagine we had (ok, maybe a tie with Dar Tajine). It had an incredible depth of flavour – lemon, olives, traditional Moroccan spices – it was amazing!

We found the prices quite reasonable and the service fine - pretty unengaging, but we got what we asked for in good time.

In short, great food, average to good service.

1  Thank IngC
Reviewed 28 August 2017 via mobile

Jawharat is exactly the type of restaurant - if you can call it that - one must absolutely avoid. Now, before you continue reading you must know that I'm not one who usually complains. I appreciate the context I am in, and sometimes I see it as part of the fun. If I wanted something exclusive, say, fine dining, I would have searched exactly that. In fact, if you go through my reviews, you can easily notice that I'm not usually one to complain. However, today I'm making an exception as it is only fair to warn other travellers.

We decided to stay on the terrace overlooking the Blue Gate and order the set menu costing 70dhms (around €7) which stated that one could get a starter, main (any plate or tajine) and dessert. However when it came to ordering, the waiter said that the main dish came with conditions - basically we could not order any main we wanted but had to choose from a limited choice. This was fine for us.

When it came to serving, the waiter brought everything at once - nibbles, starters, main and dessert! This was probably so the waiter just takes one trip up the stairs. This did not bother us much, however by the time we ate our starter, the main got cold, of course. The food was pretty bland and tasteless. I've eaten way better elsewhere for much less.

Rain started and the umbrellas did not serve much. The food and us were getting wet and the waiter was nowhere to be seen to help us carry our food down to the main restaurant. By the time we actually managed to go down, we were soaked. We found an empty table next to the bar and just sat there.

All of a sudden however I felt a couple of drops on my head, back, and arm. I looked up thinking the rain was actually leaking through the terrace to the main restaurant. No, it wasn't. I looked at my arm and I see ketchup on it. Only then did I realise the waiter was messing around with ketchup and mayonnaise!! When I remarked that he stained my white t-shirt, he took a napkin and without apologising tried to scrub it away, which actually made the stains worse!

Finally asked for the bill. The amount did not add up and started calculating it off the menu. The same waiter came angrily to me and started using the calculator in front of my face explaining how he ended up with that sum. Basically, he charged us an extra 10dhrms (€1) for service charge. This was nowhere stated in the menu and in a place like Morocco, you almost take it for granted that sometimes you will find people trying to take advantage of you as a tourist. However, given the appalling service and the ruined clothing, I was not having it. Told the waiter that this was unacceptable and he started shouting to "shut up because it is better".

I would have gladly paid the €1 extra had the service and food been passable. However, considering that the Moroccan minimum wage amounts to €300 monthly, €1 for a so-called service charge is downright theft. Unfortunately, it is instances like this that keep tourists away from such a gem that Morocco is.

Reviewed 6 July 2017 via mobile

We had dinner at this restaurant and although we had to wait for 15 minutes to get a place on their rooftop terrace, it was worth the visit. The meals take some time, but they are really cheap: we had dinner with the two of us and the bill was 130 MAD. Secondly, since the restaurant is next to the bab bouljoud, it is easy to find.