“Most disgusting hotel i've been in my life.”
Review of Dar Bouanania

Dar Bouanania
Ranked #161 of 216 Fes B&B and Inns
Reviewed 15 January 2015

The rooms are dirty. The bed was not clean, you could see and feel, that they did not change the bedding, which is just disgusting. I tried to clean the bathroom but it was so dirty, that i couldn't fix it. The toiletseat was over and over packed with old urin. The shower didn't got warm. The host was unfriendly and tried to sell the room for an high price. When we wanted to leave he grabbed us and didn't wanted us let go. Even though we paid less, but still more then in other places for less service. One towel was okay, the other one was just a joke. It had a huge hole in the middle. There are nice hotels in Fès.
SO PLEASE NEVER GO HERE.
They did not even removed old garbage from the guest before. Or the ones before...
Really DISGUSTING

Room Tip: There is no good room. The rooms upstairs might be a little better...
  • Stayed: January 2015, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Dar Bouanania

Reviewed 10 January 2015

We stayed in the DAR for almost a week and had a real great time.
Beautiful place with a great atmosphere and very friendly and helpful staff. Said & Ahmed were always there when we had any questions. All minor issues were solved immediately.

First we stayed 2 nights in the top room, after a two night break we came back from our desert trip (which, if you are lazy like us, can also be arranged by the hotel) and had a different room on the first floor which was equally nice with even a bath.

The hotel is located near the blue gate and a great starting point for strolls down the medina.
Nearby local hammam is a must!

But the best selling point (again) are Said and Ahmed, both receptionists of the place.

• Stayed: January 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 November 2014

Dar Bouanania in Fes is a good economical guest house. It is located in the heart of the medina around the corner from its namesake medersa. It is comfortable and reasonably priced, with a quiet indoor courtyard. They serve a good breakfast, and the two gentlemen who manage the place provide good information and directions.

Room Tip: Rooms have shared bathrooms. Upstairs is probably better than the ground floor, because the main com...
  • Stayed: September 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 7 November 2014

I was traveling with a friend, and we stayed 3 nights in Dar Bouanania. A local guide took us there when we got to the old medina.

We got a room with two twin beds and a shared toilet and shower. The room was nice and linens were clean. In our floor there were two toilet & shower rooms. They were not the cleanest, but clean enough to use them.

The lodge location is good. It is in the old medina, not far from Bab Boujloud (few hundred meters), and easy to find in the old medina labyrinth.

I would like to kudos Ahmed who was the host during the day hours. He coddled us with coffee and tea (for free). We had few discussions about what to see Fes, Morocco, and Israel. We even taught him some Hebrew.

• Stayed: October 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 14 July 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights. The building is beautifully decorated (Riad style) and is centrally located in the Medina. Staff was friendly and helpful.
Rooms were a bit muffy and dark downstairs but then again relatively cool with an outside temperature of 42 degrees celcius. The shared bathrooms looked like they hadn't been cleaned for quite a while but were ok if you're not too demanding.
Overall an OK experience in a scenic location.

Room Tip: In summer, downstairs the rooms are cooler (and ask for a fan!).
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank joepsi
Reviewed 25 June 2013

We really liked this place. The staff was friendly, and it was beautifully decorated, conveniently located and easy to find. We loved the breakfasts in the morning and just sitting in the courtyard. Our one big problem was that we had a room on the top floor which was set up to sleep four, and the bathroom up there was horrible. We locked the door and burned candles and only went in there when we absolutely had to. However the rooms on the ground floor that we looked at had nice bathrooms. The only problem with those is that they are right next to the breakfast area, so you might be woken up in the morning. The owners do live there, so there is drying laundry on the roof, and a toddler roaming around, but for me, that's all part of its charm

Room Tip: Do not, under any circumstances, get a top floor room.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 December 2012

Well this time I had my bad hotel experience. All started smooth, we contacted the hotel on a short notice, and advised Said (the carekeeper) that our arrival will be very late afzer 2 am in the morning. He was ready to pick us up at the nearby Blue Gate of Fes. We managed to find the hotel by ourselves. The carekeeper was a very gentle guy, he showed us our room which leads directly to the small courtyard. The hotel is in an old riad, quite nice decoration survived I must say an harsh renovation. Our room had also been updated with an brickstone application, I have no idea whose idea was to integrate such an decor to an 400 year old riad, but taste obviously differs greatly. The room was big enough, but not clean enough. The beds ( we had three in the room, a King size and two single sized) were old, and the mattresses had died a long time ago. Well, we were not in the shape after a 7 hour train ride to discuss this with gentle Said.The next disappointment was the bathroom, I am quite aware that in the arab world the bathroom is quite differently seen, its quite normal that the shower is inmidst the room, and one is showering always the toilet as well, but usually this is not a feature of riad hotels, or at least I was not aware of it yet. The price of 400 DHM was in retroprospective quite high for this place, breakfast was not included in this price.The breakfast was standard, all was brought in from outside, just the tea was made in the hotel, The lady who brought it was fighting with her english, french as it seemed made things not easier as well, also fusah arabic seems a bit to complicated for many working in moroccan hotels nowadays. The big disappointment came upon check out. We headed out of our room after a second night. We were quite early out, at about 8 am. I was greeted by Said, and I asked him whether we could store the luggage somewhere until we leave the hotel. He warmly showed me a storage room, nd we left our belongings there, and Said received our keys. When we came back by 2 pm were greeted by a guy I hardly recognized as being in any ways involved in running this hotel. In his sport suit he looked rather like those guys who want to sell you highly addictive substances in the zengas of Fes or who want to be your best friend for the day. He told us that since we check out so late( the regular check out time was 12) we had to pay an extra charge of 20 DHM for the luggage storage. My insisting questions if he really meant what he said was true or his right intention, he gave me the clear message, that surely this is what he is after. He had the guts to discuss with me that I was not obeying their rules, and therefore had to pay the surcharge, a phonecall with the gentle Said would have been enough for this fella, but he insisted to charge us. I may say it clearly, I never have a problem to pay a rather small amount for the safety of my belongings, but please owners of hotels, leave the choice by the customer, and do not act the way the did in this riad. This guy( he never even gave us his name) even had the guts to argue with me in front of an new guest ( the first guest I have seen in those 2 days) and his argument that things are like that in Marocco, were of course for me the summit of this bad encounter. So fellow travellers, find better places, travel times are too precious to be spoiled in this way.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple