All reviews rooftop bar citrus trees an oasis the owner modern twist courtyard garden central fountain cooking class hammam experience traditional hammam spa services beautiful palace travel agent ancient medina junior suite breakfast was included an unforgettable experience
Reviewed November 8, 2018

Old but recently renovated property entered from the medina, a truly fantastic world of its own dating back many centuries. Hotel has quiet tree lined courtyard with constant background of fountains. In morning and evening songbirds flock in trees making the most fantastic alarm clock imaginable. Rooms comfortable. Opening into courtyard rather than hectic medina. Bedding and baths outstanding. Spa with fantastic hammam, massage services. A must experience. Full bar in courtyard and on rooftop terrace. Great restaurant. Tagines of course. Despite entrance to medina hotel is completely safe-a refuge. But do visit medina! No camel head the day we visited but the butchers did have some lamb heads on display! The tannery is a must, great rug stores. Just at edge of medina a wonderful pottery that makes fine ceramics of all sorts.

Date of stay: October 2018
palaisfes, Responsable relations publiques at Palais Amani, responded to this reviewResponded November 15, 2018

Dear Guest,

Indeed the building dates from 17th century and after 4 year of renovation it has all the attributes a traveller would expect today. Thank you for your lovely review full of compliments regarding all the services we provide to our guests.

We hope to see you again at the Palais Amani in a near future.
Sincerely yours,

Reviewed November 6, 2018 via mobile

Hidden behind one of Fes’ many blank alley walls, this hotel/Riad was a treat.

Our room was spacious and decorated with period furniture. So, spacious, but cozy too.

They had a wonderful bar with a fireplace where my wife and I snuggled up to read both of the evenings we were there.

Their restaurant served delicious cuisine.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Thank you for your lovely review and we're pleased to hear that you and your wife enjoyed the fireplace and had the time to relax.
We have passed on your compliments to our team members.
Hope to great you in Fez in a near future.

Best wishes,

Reviewed November 5, 2018 via mobile

This was our first stay in a riad in Morrocco so perhaps our expectation may not have been correctly calibrated. Situated in the medina, so glad we used a porter to take our bags from the public parking area to the riad. I am not so sure we could have found our way to it without our porter. Having really heavy bags we felt sorry for him, he definitely earned the dirhams we gave him.
The riad is beautiful, ornate and with very intricate mosiacs. The team serving this place was very friendly, attentive and welcoming.
We ate dinner and breakfast here, nothing to shout about really but just okay in our opinion. We decided to use the spa here and the massage therapists were really good. The vigourous style was something new for us but we enjoyed it. Unfortunatly at the time of our treatment, the maintenance team was doing some miantenance work so drilling could be heard so it detracted from the experience.
The room we got was cozy (thats another way to describe small!), low ceiling and sound proofing very minimal. We could hear people passing the stairs and in the courtyard. If you are a light sleeper then I highly recommend bringing earplugs.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience in our boutique hotel and I'm sure you got to experience more Riad experiences during your stay in Morocco. The particularity of a riad (ours, the Palais Amani is one of the largest in Fez's medina) is that all the rooms are different. We are an 18 bedroom riad and the sizes of our rooms range from 18m2 to 100m2. Some of our rooms are low beam (3 of them), others have 6m high ceilings and the category our rooms depends on their size.

We're very pleased to read that you enjoyed the beauty of our 17th century riad and appreciated the friendliness of our team. We'll be sure to let them know.

Hope that you enjoyed your time in Morocco and that we'll be able to welcome you again at the Palais Amani.
Sincerely yours,
The Palais Amani team.

Reviewed November 2, 2018

They sent a guide to collect me from our hotel, walked to PA, then went shopping with the cook. I was the only student! The cook has some English and enough French
Taught me how to make several dishes, which I have since replicated at home. At the end I got a certificate(!) some recipes and a free fez.
Great experience, not too expensive; but you would need to be fairly confident.
Hotel is beautiful.

Date of stay: September 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank lowryepp

Dear Guest,

Very please to hear that you enjoyed your experience as a non resident in our Cooking School - The Fez Cooking School at Palais Amani.
We'll be sure to pass on your feedback to our members of team.

Hope to see you back in Fez soon and next time why not stay in our riad.

Best wishes

Reviewed October 31, 2018

We booked this hotel for a 3-night stay because it was recommended by Mr and Mrs Smith as well as the New York Times. What a tremendous disappointment Palais Amani turned out to be. I really wish we stayed at Riad Laaroussa instead.

The biggest problem was the staff, who were incompetent and not well trained for the job.

- There is no "Do Not Disturb" sign. We slept in one morning, and the cleaning lady unlocked our door without knocking first.

- We checked in on a Wednesday afternoon, I asked the reception to call Nur (a famous restaurant in Fes) so the restaurant knows where we were staying and will pick us up for dinner on Friday night. I also asked the reception to let me know what time the restaurant will come to pick us up. The receptionist said certainly, no problem. Then I heard nothing from them about it for the next two days. Did they ever call the restaurant? I had no idea. I went to the reception again on Friday morning and requested that they call the restaurant. And again, I heard nothing from them all day. I had to go to the reception a third time on Friday afternoon, and finally this resolved. I don't understand why it took three days and three visits to the reception to fulfill such a simple request.

- We asked the hotel to buy us train tickets the day before we were leaving Fes. It was a service the hotel offered for a 200 Dirham (about 20 USD) fee. We went to the reception at noon to give them the money in cash (for some reason they could not put it on our hotel bill), but the receptionist could not tell us how much the tickets would cost despite looking it up on the computer. I was able to look up the cost myself on the ONCF website. Anyway, the receptionist took our money and said the train tickets would be delivered to our room before 7AM next morning. But in the evening, the receptionist called and said that they sent someone to the train station but he couldn't obtain the tickets. And the excuse given was "maybe because the train will be delayed." I kid you not. It made no sense to me whatsoever. We wanted to get our money back, but the reception tried to charge us for the taxi the guy took to the train station. It was ridiculous. The next day we went to the train station ourselves and bought tickets from one of those automated machines in 30 seconds.

Our room was very noisy. The guests were loud in the courtyard and the staff was loud in the hallway. It was impossible to get quality sleep. I also didn't like the smell coming out of the bathroom and the furniture setup in the bedroom but they were the least of our worries during this uncomfortable stay at Palais Amani.

• Trip type: Travelled with friends
4  Thank Dallas2World
palaisfes, Propriétaire at Palais Amani, responded to this reviewResponded November 9, 2018

Dear Dallas World,
Well!
Mismatch of property? possibly, unhappy tired traveller?, inability to communicate face to face ? most definitely, but some of what you have written is just simply not true.
The reception staff remember you well. Some clients leave lasting impressions and the majority of our guests leave positive lasting impressions Some don't. Fortunately those that don't are very rare.
Your stay is past and it is now too late for you at least to rectify, and without wanting to go through a blow by blow reply, there are a couple of things that merit attention for future travellers as they paint a very distorted and untrue picture.
There is a do not disturb system on the back of each door that is and was explained to you at check in.
The restaurant of your choice was called and you were informed a couple of times.
concerning the ONCF, there was a serious accident the day before you were due to travel making ticket purchase impossible.
That the reception asked you to pay for the taxi, I am not convinced either as this is definitely not the policy or the ethic of the property but I will investigate further,
As you can see from the large number of comments, the helpfulness of the staff is one of the most recurrent comments. It would appear that you didn't find this to be, but it does appear that simple face to face human interaction rather than online ruminations may have made your stay a positive and enjoyable one.
This obviously was not the case and for this we are very sorry. Nobody is perfect, and for you we weren't.