All reviews modern hotel barcelo hotel gate tour mall across the street sized room breakfast buffet normal hotel the wi fi restaurants and shops housekeeping staff hotel restaurant stayed here for two nights beds were comfortable lobby gate1 kettle morocco
Reviewed June 11, 2017

This is supposedly a 4-star hotel, and it may once have been.
The Good: it is centrally located and has a decent pool for bathing in, no lines for laps - if they let you use it.
The Bad:
1) when I checked in, the couldn't find my reservation number, so had to put a hold on my credit card of double the room cost until they could find the reservation. They took their sweet time. Fair enough.
2) When I got up to my room, it had two twin beds pushed together when i had booked a king bed (same size as two twins, but there is a crack and it wasn't made up as a king bed either... So I asked the front desk for a new room with a king bed, to which they said that they only have this double-twin set up, but that they could re-make it as a King for me. Not cool, but ok.
2b) I go down and ask them twice during the evening when they are going to re-do my bed, to which I get nebulous answers. They never get around to actually changing my bed over to a King. Fail.
When I tried to call down to ask them, there was no number for the front desk, so had to walk down every time. Fail.
The room:
a) bed was pretty hard, but I was so tired, wasn't a problem
b) when i tried to close the curtain, the whole curtain fell off with the rail hanging down the wall.
3) the toilet had a brown stain down the back and smelled like a public restroom.
4) the shower took over 5 minutes to turn to anything but burning hot.

5) I was on a 5am flight, so asked them to call me at 2:30am to wake me up. No call came, so am lucky I woke up by myself. Front desk said they did call me. I doubt it, and shouldn't they come knock if you don't pick up if you tell them you are going to catch a flight?
6) When I tried to check out they asked me to pay extra taxes, after my hotel.com booking already had a $6 (12% of the hotel price) addition for taxes and fees. I refused to pay this and showed him my receipt. The front desk person was very confrontational and insisted I pay despite my proof right in front of him that I had already paid taxes and fees. Also, why would they do this when I am leaving/late for a flight, not when I checked in?
7) When I had told them about my early flight they had nicely told me that there was another guest that wanted to leave at the same time, so they could get us a cab to share. The cab from the airpot had cost 120 dirham ( $1.20). Now, when I was ready to leave, they said that I owed 200 dirham. The guy I was to share this with was also there and had already paid his 200 dirham. We complained that we were willing to pay the 200, but that we shouldn't pay close to 4x the actual price. the dude at the front desk asked if we were traveling together, I said yes (we were both headed to the airport). The front desk guy calls some manager and keeps talking in arabic, and the transfer driver (that is maybe why it was more, it was a minivan, not a cab) refused to take us for less. There were no cabs around that early, so we were forced to pay under duress to get to the airport.
7) The driver was happy with his extra pay so when the front desk man kept hounding me for my hotel tax all the way into the minivan and through the open window, the cab driver paid him 20 dirham to get him off our backs.

Summary: great location, worst front desk and service, probably trying to line their pockets while providing zero value add and hounding you like beggars when you are in a rush to get out.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled solo
Manager_Fes2016, Director General at Barcelo Fes Medina, responded to this reviewResponded June 13, 2017

Dear guest,

We are really sorry to hear that you did not enjoy the experience in our hotel to the fullest as we strive to make each stay with us an unforgettable one.

Regarding the hotel taxes,this is something that has been in operation since 2011, and they are mandatory charges straight from the local government, that is probabaly why our receptionist insisted on, which may not be the correct way.

Anyway, discussions involving the respective team members and management have taken place to review your comments, and we would like to assure you that all of your concerns will be addressed and attended to.

Thank you again for your visit and constructuve critics, we are eager to regain your confidence during another occasion if you gave us that chance.

Barceló Fes medina

Reviewed June 4, 2017

Fes was a very pleasant surprise after casablanca. The Barcelo hotel is perfect, good location on a large Avenue,
nice rooms, everything clean and modern, comfortable beds. The staff was great, very young people who speak french and english and greet you wth a smile.We got the wi-fi code with our room key, no need to ask for it. Nice restaurant with a wide variety of dishes to choose from, and very attentive service. What more can a tired traveller
ask for. I only wish they had more local cuisine. We spent two days in Fes, not enough to fully absorb all there is
to see. The visit to the medina is something you have to be prepared for, there are no shortcuts, once inside we followed the guide through the winding narrow streets, just wide enough for a heavily ladden donkey to pass, and i must say that of all the medinas, markets, bazars that we have visited, incl. istambul, jerusalem, and in the far -east , the medina of fes is the most authentic and agressive to the senses. Imagine at the turn of an alley coming face to face with the decapitaded head of a camel stuck on a pole. Yes they eat camel meat, in France they eat horse meat, and in the far east they eat our pets. The smells,the sights and sounds are overpowering, and it takes hours. wear good closed shoes, no sandals, and roll your pants. We bought some souvenirs and three hours later our driver Jamall took us to a restaurant in the medina where he had ordered, a day before, a dish called pastilla, it was delicious, and Jamall called the restaurant ASNA. This place looked like a palace, richly decorated, and the tall waiter made a show of pouring our tea from high up. By this time we were so tired we only wanted to get back to our nice hotel. At night the streets of Fes were lighted,full of people and families with children, until all hours. Quiet an experience.

Stayed: April 2017
1  Thank benben_8
Manager_Fes2016, Director General at Barcelo Fes Medina, responded to this reviewResponded June 5, 2017

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for sharing this great review of your recent stay at Barceló Fès médina. We are thrilled that you have enjoyed your stay and certainly agree that our dedicated staff plays a key role to our guests' overall experience. The entire team works very hard to ensure that we deliver a high standard of service and a warm, memorable experience.

Thank you again for making us your choice hotel on this occasion, we look forward to serving you again in the near future.

Barceló fes medina

Reviewed May 30, 2017 via mobile

Barcelo Fes Medina, a real jewel of Fes. Beautiful location with an amazing view of the city.
Modern eye pleasing interiors, comfortable and easy check in process,well furnished beautiful rooms. overall a happy comfortable stay.

Stayed: May 2017, travelled with family
Manager_Fes2016, Director General at Barcelo Fes Medina, responded to this reviewResponded June 1, 2017

Barceló fes medina

Reviewed May 24, 2017

I wouldn't think this is a four-star hotel. That being said, it is a solid three-star. Thanks to the use of tiles throughout the hotel and rooms, it is kept pretty clean. There was only two very small elevators serving the entire hotel to include service staff. So the wait can be very long if you can't use the stairs. The hotel caters to tour groups. There were four large tour groups when we were there. Making the breakfast area very chaotic and unruly. Making it worse they had a smaller staff working on Sunday. Monday was better with the service of cleaning up. The room itself was comfortable and of a good size. When we entered the room though we found a bird inside our room! It freaked us out at first because we thought it was a bat. The poor thing was so weak from being trapped inside for probably a long time. I was able to cover it with a towel and release it. How could the cleaning crew miss this is beyond me. AC took awhile to cool down the room or not work altogether for some of the other guests. The hotel is in a good location. There's a large Carrefour super market inside the mall across the street. Overall this was a decent hotel of our time in Morocco.

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled with friends
Manager_Fes2016, Director General at Barcelo Fes Medina, responded to this reviewResponded May 25, 2017

Dear guest,

Thank you for the time you spent to share your feedback on your recent stay at our Barceló Fès médina, to be considered as one of the best hotels you stayed at is certainly high praise.

Thank you again for leaving these wonderful comments on Tripadvisor, we are delighted that you enjoyed your stay among us.

see you very soon !

Barceló Fès médina

Reviewed May 17, 2017

Best of the hotels we visited while on our four city tour of Morocco with Gate 1. Room had nice natural light and a nice bathroom. Good location in the city for visiting the Medina and there is a shopping mall nearby. Many other travelers complained about the hard mattresses but we thought they were perfect. The included buffet breakfast including an omelet to order station.

Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank klmaestra
Manager_Fes2016, Director General at Barcelo Fes Medina, responded to this reviewResponded May 19, 2017

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for sharing this great review of your recent stay at Barceló fès médina. We are thrilled that you have enjoyed your stay and certainly agree that our dedicated staff plays a key role to our guests' overall experience. The entire team works very hard to ensure that we deliver a high standard of service and a warm, memorable experience.

Again we thank you for this very kind review of our hotel and we look forward to serving you again in the future.

Barceló fès médina