All reviewsriad fesauthentic moroccan foodlovely dinnerrooftop patiowould stay againbeautiful place to staythe ownerstayed longerthe hustle and bustlehammamsuitecourtyard
Reviewed January 10, 2016 via mobile

My wife and I have been visiting Morocco for the past 4weeks and stayed in a variety of riads across the country. This was not the best. We were first greeted with mint tea but unlike other riads we had stayed at the host failed to provide an explanation of where we were located on a map or in relation to various features of the city. There was no enquiry about what we might like to do while in Fes. It felt like lots of upselling was going on and we often felt obliged to eat at the Riad and it was reasonably expensive...160DH per person but the entrees mains and deserts were all shared. At other riads it would be 160 per couple for the same meal. The Spa was TERRIBLE! In a room no bigger than a cupboard the massage table was wedged between two walls. There was no face washer/towel just the vinyl material of the table. No face hole or cushion. There was no heating in the room (it was winter). The massage itself was terrible. I doubt the masseuse was trained. Worst I've ever had. The massage cost 300DH for 45mins. The massage actually only went for 30mins not 45 after the masseuse was late by 10mins. All other riads my wife and I stayed at during our 4week stay in Morocco offer a 1hr massage for 300DH. We went on a walking tour of Fes. The guide was arrogant. He blamed tourists on terraces for stopping Moroccan ladies having freedom in their homes. A bit rich coming from a tour guide. He walked off on us a couple of times in a busy souk and we were a little lost and didn't know where to go to catch up with him. Overall the building and the rooms were reasonably nice-not worth what they are charging though-but we didn't feel as welcome as we had been made to feel at all other riads stayed at. On a positive the decor of the Riad was grand as was the breakfast. The Moroccan scrambled eggs was delicious.

Stayed: January 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank hammerkon
Reviewed January 2, 2016 via mobile

Stayed in late December, room was comfortable, hot water in separate but own bathroom. Filling breakfast including eggs and olives, juice, tea, coffee,local breads and toast, from 830am. All the telltale signs of a good place to relax. Intense offering by Touria in early part of stay suggested helpfulness and as we looked closer at costs we were being offered we realised they weren't our best option to be frugal with our money: we needed some washing done- shopping bag quantity 400 drhm ~40€~>50 aud (other Riad didn't charge, we got a guide for full day for same rate). Hammam 300 drhm, massage 250 drhm Meals we were suggested at recommended restaurant 950 drhm, 90€, 130aud incl bottle wine and +4 performances/ shows we should have walked when we realised there were so many shows at Al Fassia - very slight of hand. You will find better establishments, you will find less obvious methods to extract your holiday spending $'s or enjoy it more - enter at your own risk of blatant wallet note loosening. There are just too many alternatives to return.

Stayed: December 2015, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Brisbanebrewster
Reviewed December 31, 2015

This is by far the best place you can stay in Fes for the money. It is owned by the nicest people in the world and they will treat you like family. It has quite possibly the most fantastic hot Moroccan tea in town (all complimentary). My fiancee and I stayed here on our honeymoon and would go back in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: Choose the "Berber Room!" It's on the first floor and unique from all other rooms.
  • Stayed: November 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed December 13, 2015

The hamman itself was not relaxing, but it's my first so I can't review it well, but the massage and the ambiance was so bad. No massage table, just a table with no face hole, so expect a strained neck. Non-trained massuist. The hamman and the massage table are in the same room and the guy that helped me with the hamman was bathing himself and moaning as I'm getting my massage. His phone rings. He answers it. Only for the last 10 minutes he wasn't in the room making noise or walking around. He leaves the room and and then comes back because he forgot something and the "massuist" gets it for him. At the end they didn't have change for me. So I left with with them owing me money.

Room Tip: just use other ryad's hamman
  • Stayed: December 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed November 30, 2015

We arrived in Riad Fes Baraka after a very long and delayed journey. However, all was forgotten when Samir welcomed us with warm Moroccan tea. It even got better when he told us that we got upgraded to the best room in the Riad! Beautiful room, astonishing Riad and very hospitable service. Thank you Samir and Touria, you were great hosts!

• Stayed: November 2015, travelled with friends