All reviews rooftop terrace mint tea dar el bacha an oasis moroccan slippers fresh fruit salad inner courtyard beautiful room little touches breakfast and dinner the hustle and bustle four nights old city atlas mountains visiting marrakech airport transfer day trip
Reviewed January 3, 2018

I happened to find this place by chance by searching for a place to book using my credit card points. Three years after our wedding and my husband and I were finally taking our honeymoon and we had a ton of points that allowed to book some decent places without batting an eye. Riad Idra came up as a result for our days in Marrakech and it looked too good to be true. Good location, good reviews, beautiful pictures.

I reached out directly to every hotel I booked using points and reconfirmed that they received my booking. Riad Idra immediately responded and offered some help, including their airport shuttle service. I booked that with our points as well, so I didn't end up using their ride, but I suggest you do use them, since it's a very convenient option for a pretty confusing city. You can't get dropped off right at the hotel, since the roads aren't open to all cars, so they have someone meet you at the drop off point and walk the short distance to the front door!

Karine was friendly and helpful right from the get go with info about the car, a list of Marrakech experiences, and a day before our arrival she emailed us to ask if we wanted to have dinner in the Riad. Since our flight wasn't going to arrive until about 5:30pm and I didn't think we would have our bearings yet, I figured it was a good idea. We chose our dinner and were looking forward to a relaxing night after our arrival. Turns out we were about an hour and a half late and they held our dinner for us. We arrived at the Riad, bags were taken to our room, we were served our first mint tea in the beautiful courtyard, and Abdel greeted us warmly. Dinner was delicious and the way we were taken care of was amazing.

Let's talk about breakfast for a minute... I thought that the dinner and its presentation was amazing, but then we had breakfast. Tea or coffee, fresh fruit bowl, yogurt, different smoothie every day, fresh squeezed OJ, honey, two types of jam, two types of bread, individually wrapped pieces of butter, 3-4 different types of pastry, cream cheese, porridge or eggs or bean soup (different each day). Incredible start to the day.

This review is already just too long, but I can't say enough about this place. It's an excellent location inside the Medina, the rooms are beautiful and comfortable, the bathroom is delightful and the shower is fantastic with excellent water pressure, the courtyard and rooftop terrace are total sanctuaries, the Hammam is intimate and so luxurious, and the service is outstanding. I am so grateful to everyone there for all they did for us while we were there (including the "Happy Honeymoon" message in our room when we arrived!). Every single person at this Riad is a delight and I look forward to seeing them on my next visit.

You cannot go wrong by booking your Marrakech stay here, just do it.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
3  Thank SarahsAdventures
Reviewed December 27, 2017 via mobile

AMAZING. Amin, Omar, Abdou, & the rest of the staff went out of their way to help with us while sick (nothing to do with them or Morocco), getting our lost bags, and more. Miss them! Perfect place to start our honeymoon. Thanks guys!

Date of stay: December 2017
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed December 16, 2017

The reviews tell the story, and don't mislead you. I spent hours researching where to stay in Marrakech, wanting to avoid too much of a labyrinthine escape, and wanting something close and accessible to the major areas for sightseeing. And after careful analysis -- size, cost, reviews, modern comforts, nuances in the details -- I settled on this riyad and hit a home run. It is exceptionally well-run and will not disappoint. (Sometimes, it doesn't matter if a place is beautiful -- it needs to be managed well. Because of this, Riad Idra shines.)

- Abdou: Nickname for one of our waiters, tended to us with warmth and earnestness, hovering eagerly to take away plates and ensure we had all that we needed dining on the terrace.

- Omar: His counterpart, an older distinguished gentleman who took consummate care of me when I fell ill and brought me pot after pot of water, bowls of soup, and fed me a hearty breakfast when I emerged from my room, shaky and weak.

- The food: Fresh, carefully curated, presented with the tiniest and most charming of details, with a little crystal decanter for this and a little porcelain dish for that and individual pats of butter tied lovingly in wax paper and twine. Beverages: Refreshing and clever, flavorful and tasty. Even if you only eat breakfast -- don't skip the meals. They're worth it and different every day, generous and indulgent, from oatmeal to local eggs with dried meat, to yogurt to croissants to msemmin with honey.

- The service: Karine exchanged many many emails with me and was exceptionally patient in advance of our stay; atop that, I fell very ill with a flu and fever and she arranged a doctor's visit that morning and we were able to arrange an additional night's stay (originally 2 nights, became 3). Her team took great care of our group of 3 (we had 3 rooms booked in the riyad), and from a private shopping tour in the medina to a sunrise balloon ride to recommendations for nearby sights and restaurants -- the recommendations were all spectacular and at no point did I feel the "one of many" service that can happen with a large hotel or boutique hotel that prioritizes mercenary behavior over the comfort of the guest. I felt absolutely pampered and absolutely thankful.

As others have said -- I highly recommend you arrange your transfer via the hotel. You are dropped very close at the nearest "drop off" point and it's easy to actually learn and find your way to the riyad after that for when you go wandering on your own. But for transfers -- the cost of things is so low in Morocco that if you're going to go to the trouble of staying at such a nice place, you honestly aren't saving much by arranging your own transfers / etc. Rely on the service, and let them take care of you -- everything is seamless, and they will take very good care of you.

Big bonus -- there is an elevator for those with bad knees or other issues. For those who are bee wary -- the upper terrace can get sunny and with sweet meals (breakfast) can attract bees so if that frightens you take your breakfast in the courtyard.

Hot water -- plentiful, fast, with great water pressure in the bathroom. The bathrooms are spectacular, with towel warmers and plenty of room. The beds are great. There are in-room safes, aircon, and cable TV, although we had some trouble with the cable in one room. Also the wifi is not the greatest in some of the rooms but depending on the floor you are on you should be able to get one wifi signal from the upper terrace or the courtyard. If you are sensitive to scent, they sometimes put a candle in the courtyard (my room was Kamal) -- you might ask them to move it away from your window. This is a riyad, so things are not as soundproofed as a modern hotel -- if you are sensitive to sound, remember to bring earplugs!

All in all, a dream of a stay that I'll always treasure and I know this is on my list of places to return to. Thank you, Karine and team, for such an amazing stay!

• Trip type: Travelled with family
2  Thank thmilin
Reviewed November 26, 2017

Riad Idra turned out to be a perfect choice for a 3 night stay in Marrakech. Every aspect of the Riad met or exceeded my expectations. The location, the room, the courtyard, and the staff were wonderful. Riad Idra is centrally located in the Medina. This is good because guests have no choice but to quickly orient themselves to the many small alleys and streets. I highly recommend having the Riad arrange a car from the airport, as guests are met by a member of the hotel staff and walk the last bit to the riad (this seems typical if staying within a Medina in Morocco.)

The Aliya Suite is very spacious, nicely decorated and comfortable, and of course very quiet. The large bathroom is wonderful. The courtyard is gorgeous and really adds an appropriate sense of place for the city and country. The breakfast on the terrace was excellent and meticulously served by Omar, a perfect gentleman.

Karine was very helpful before and during my stay. She had great recommendations for restaurants, food stalls, and sightseeing. She brought in a very professional doctor on short notice to attend to a mysterious shoulder injury I developed while there.

I researched perhaps ten choices for a room in Marrakech and I am very happy with my decision to stay at Riad Idra. This was my first visit there, so I can't compare, but I can't imagine expecting anything more.

Room tip: The Aliya Suite is awesome!
Date of stay: November 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank sactrav8
Reviewed November 21, 2017 via mobile

This was my first visit to Marrakech and I was blown away by the wonderful Riad Idra. The property itself is even more beautiful than the photos and nothing can describe the atmosphere of relaxation and calm when you walk in. When Omar serves mint tea in the courtyard any stresses from the day will evaporate!

Right from my very first emails with Karine, the manager the service was exceptional. She helped me with several bookings and questions. Also, the help and advice I received from Amine at the front desk went above and beyond. All his recommendations were excellent. The Riad really cares for its guests.

On arrival, I highly recommend arranging the transfer with the hotel. It will make your life much easier! The Riad is in a great location close to the Dar el Bacha which was a good spot for being dropped off in taxis. However if you don’t know the city at all it’s easier to go with the transfer when you first arrive. It was so helpful to have Salah help with my bags and Amine go through the map of the local area when I arrived as well.

The food at the Riad was a highlight. Chef Abdul is doing great things. I ate dinner there one night which I highly recommend and loved the breakfasts. You could taste the freshness of the food. The rooftop breakfast setting was so lovely! And Abdou does a wonderful job of serving.

My first room was the Noor Suite which is very richly decorated in red. On my return from the desert I was lucky enough to be upgraded to the stunning Aaliyah suite. Fantastic space and gorgeous to look at. I loved the Chanel perfume and the gift of the slippers in each room! So charming.

Also the hammam is small but gorgeous! The massage room has a ceiling of stars. I enjoyed a nice relaxing treatment.

Don’t hesitate - book your stay here!

Date of stay: November 2017