“far from medina, service could be improved but nice decor”

Riad La Porte Rouge
Ranked #107 of 502 Hotels in Marrakech
Reviewed 16 July 2017

This riad is far from the medina and is located in an area with no restaurants or places to eat. Getting around would require taxi service each and every time. Upon arrival at the riad the manager, Mustafa was kind enough to come to the street to help us with bags and walk us back to the door. Unlike other riads I stayed, there was no welcome tea etc. I was advised that the next morning I would be walked to the medina so that I could get to know the area. The next morning I had breakfast and spoke to Mustafa briefly, waiting for him to complete his breakfast duties. I went back to ask what time we would walk, and another employee informed me Mustafa left for the day. There was no knock on my door, no notification that plans had changed, nothing. He was even supposed to loan me an iron, which he never came to bring. When I asked the ladies in housekeeping, they advised me that they do not have ANY irons in the entire riad. Ironic that the next day Mustafa gave me the one he promised the day before. Breakfast consisted of some form of bread and butter or crepe and jam. It was the most underwhelming breakfast I have seen in my history of travels. Again, compared to the spread served at other riads, I was highly disappointed. Furthermore, my butter one day was served with a strand of hair in the dish. It was promptly changed upon request. The Hiba room was nicely decorated and came with a private bath, but there was no television in the room (for those with children). The cat did not bother anyone, but if you are allergic, you may want to book elsewhere. I tried to cancel upon learning they had a cat, and it went like this. In February I accidentally booked this riad for a non-refundable stay in June. (Multiple screens open would do it sometimes :-(. I called the booking company right away, and they called the hotel to see if I could cancel with no penalty. They were advised the decision maker was not in. I had them call the next day at a different time, they received the same response. A 3rd day came, and they advised to put it in writing and it will be done. My main issue was the cat. I later received a final decision that it was declined. Keep in mind this was 4 months ahead of the date of stay, not 4 weeks or 4 days prior. Anyway, they are entitled to decline, and that they did. All in all though, I am big on service, and I felt this riad lacked the top notch service I seek. I would not recommend this riad to others based on location, and subpar service, but I wish them well. I am astonished they have such a high rating, but I recently received an email from the booking agent that was thanking me for the feedback on this riad, and since this is my first feedback, I am not sure how accurate these high ratings are, and what ghosts are sending ratings to the booking agent on my behalf. Weird!!!

Stayed: June 2017
1  Thank kee146
There are newer reviews for Riad La Porte Rouge

Reviewed 15 June 2017 via mobile

We stayed here for four nights. The raid is a bit out of the main area so had a panic when we first arrived. We booked there transfer from the airport and were met as expected. The riad is quite new but decorated in the traditional style. Our room was on the ground floor( a bit noisy both ways!). But clean the bed was a tad hard for me but my husband slept really well. The breakfast was fresh but a bit of fruit would be nice! Coffee was really nice. We had dinner twice here and it was really good both times. We had pastries with a chicken and lemon tagine then the next time a lamb and prune tagine.
The hotel cat Max was very friendly. The roof terrace was a nice retreat although it was too hot to be up there long.
They had a swimming pool ( more like a plunge pool) but no one used it I think because they had a big palm at the steps so not easy to get into.
Nice traditional riad, good food and friendly although a bit out the way.

Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 June 2017

I have travelled to Marrakech and stayed at Riad La Porte Rouge with my partner last May. The riad is tucked away from the busy road of the city centre and it is 15 mins walk to Badia Palace and 30 mins by walk from Jamaa el Fna, the main square.
We had the Kaoutar room on the top floor and it was beautifully decorated and really quiet as there is only one room on that floor. On the top floor there are sunbeds and a nice sofa corner where you can relax too. We had breakfast every morning in the Riad and it was really nice, typical Moroccan pastries and also bread, butter and jam.
We also had dinner 2 times in the Riad, might be a bit more expensive than the restaurants in the centre but it is totally worth it. The Tajines that Mustafa cooked us were simply delicious and way more tasty that what you can find elsewhere!
I would really recommend the Riad and would definitely stay again if we go back to Marrakech.

Stayed: May 2017
1  Thank Arianna C
Reviewed 6 June 2017 via mobile

I had searched for weeks for the perfect riads (porte rouge was my first of 3) and I was not disappointed. Me and my husband were very warmly welcomed, and seated swiftly with cold drinks. We had run in to a lot of bad luck on our way to Morocco, and it was just so nice to walk into this peaceful riad. We had booked a meal for our first night which was beautiful; gorgeous flavours and well cooked. The riad was exceptionally clean, as well as our room (Argana) with lovely decoration. We found the breakfasts filling, though hubby started to miss savoury breakfasts (it was usually always sweet - sweet breads, honey, jam) though savoury breakfasts can be made for an extra charge. The only downside we found was location - although we felt extremely safe, it was always quite a walk to get anywhere. It is in the heart of the residential district, therefore it truly is raw, unfiltered Marrakech (not necessarily a bad thing as it opens your eyes to a different way of life). We came across a lot of children following us back to our riad and then asking for money (didn't experience this anywhere else in the medina) it is hard to turn them down but you get a bunch of kids that watch from afar to see if they managed to get anything from you. So it is best not to fall for it, as it attracts more begging.
The riad is close however to two of what turned out to be some of our favourite restaurants; Earth Cafe and Cafe Clock. Very reasonably priced, good wholesome food that caters to vegans/vegetarians.
On the whole, I cannot complain about the riad, it was everything I had hoped for.
We made use of the Jacuzzi one day which was lovely, as it is all shaded. Also not forgetting Max, the riads resident cat, who would come and greet you. If you're a cat lover, you'll love him! He just enjoys lazing about the riad.
Great staff, very helpful and courteous and beautiful interior.

Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank PurpleStrawberry44
Reviewed 31 May 2017

This is a seriously beautiful riad. I was looking for a riad that had Moroccan décor (why go all the way to Morocco to stay somewhere that looks like back home?), and Riad La Porte Rouge delivered, with Moroccan touches in every nook and cranny. The location was excellent- near the main square and souks, and a very quick trip to the airport. Having stayed at a more out-of-the-way riad earlier in the week, we were a bit surprised at how lively and noisy this section of town was. It was nice to be in an oasis of quiet while the city pulsed around us. Do understand that this riad prides itself on being a very quiet place. The staff speak only in whispers at night and early morning. If you're the rambunctious type, another riad might be better for you.

Room Tip: All the rooms we saw looked lovely
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank abeautifulday365
Reviewed 15 May 2017

Well... The Riad itself was fine - our room was pleasantly decorated, clean and quiet. It definitely had a "homey" feel. BUT:
1. The riad's location is quite far from the medina; Be prepared to do a lot of walking.
2. The walk from the riad to the medina is not very pleasant.
3. There are few, if any, restaurants close to the riad.
4. Eating dinner at the riad gets expensive.

If you are planning to stay at the Riad La Porte Rouge, prepare yourself. Marrakesh is made up of a labyrinth of narrow streets. Not only is it very easy to get lost, but it is also a real challenge to avoid getting hit by the motorcycles that fly along its mazes. The exhaust fumes from the motorcycles and cars can be overwhelming. Marrakesh is also very dusty and a little dirty. Some reviewers have said that this Riad is located in a "sketchy" area. I disagree. At no time did I feel unsafe. The location is true, unfiltered, unsanitized Marrakesh, very different from our western expectations.

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled with family
3  Thank karensammatt
Reviewed 5 May 2017

We loved our stay in the Riad. The checking process was a bit of a mess, so much papers to fill in, but I guess this has nothing to do with the Riad but rather the country security policy. The design and decoration is amazing, we loved the Moroccan touch in all and every detail and of course the roof top Jacuzzi !! The staff was very helpful and provided an excellent and friendly service.
The only down side is the breakfast which we found to lack variety. Also, I would recommend to put some more light in the rooms, Ours was very dark in the evenings.
Overall, gorgeous Riad and I would definitely recommend it!

• Stayed: April 2017, travelled with friends