“Lovely little place”

Henna cafe
Ranked #71 of 1,057 Restaurants in Marrakech
Cuisines: Moroccan
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The most important thing for visitors to know about the Henna cafe is that it is a non profit organisation. This means that it does not create a wage for an owner, it uses every penny of profit to serve the local community in the form of education and support. You can see the recent details of work and projects of the Henna Cafe online. We thank you for your feedback and your visits. Please always head to the bright warm orange decor of the Original Henna Cafe to ensure that your henna leaves a beautiful mark on the lives of young Moroccans as well as a beautiful mark on your skin! Henna cafe is situated 10 minutes walk from the Koutoubia Mosque near to the Pasha's palace). You can ask a taxi to drop you at Dar Moha, dar el Bacha. We are a 2 minute walk towards bab Doukalla from here......
Reviewed December 7, 2017

I found the Henna Café before our trip as I'd read not to get Henna done at the markets. So it was our mission to get here one day. And we made it! We took the long way around through the Medina and on our way out we realised we were actually really close to the square and could have gone an easier way!
Anyway it's a tiny place with a tiny door but its perfect for an authentic experience. The people were the most welcoming and the food was delicious. There are so many Henna designs to pick from and the lady who did mine was very lovely. It took her no time to do the Henna and then after it dried they covered it with lemon juice to protect it. Then we were on or way. This was the highlight of the trip for me I really enjoyed it and would go back and recommend. Thank you :o)

Date of visit: December 2017

Reviewed November 30, 2017

From the nice Moroccan food to the expert Hanna artists and very knowledgeable staff who provide Arabic lessons this place is an all round gift to the british traveller in Marrakech,

The manager took the time to give a member of our party a language lesson when her teaching staff wernt in which was a nice bonus.

Henna art done in a clean safe place with reliable sources and reasonable prices.

All round a fantastic little café that also provides education to local children and is not for profit. Helps everyone local and tourist alike with a friendly and charismatic owner.

Reviewed November 25, 2017

I read great things about this cafe and opted to go here, bringing my sister along, over any other henna artist in the city. While my sister's henna ended up being good, mine was smudged while the artist was transferring me over to the drying area and then was half-way fixed after the fact. The older female artist noticed my distress over the messy areas and tried to fix them, but given that it has partially dried, the henna had already stained some. When I asked the owner whether the smudged areas would show he said yes, they would appear a bit messy. I then asked whether it could be fixed and he said that I could wash it off and try again. Not wanting to go through the 45 minute-long process over again, I asked if a slight discount could be taken given that the finished product was less than perfect, through no fault of my own.

He stated that no discount could ever be given and I could either wash it off and leave (the tint already having partially dyed my skin) or I could pay full price. He then, aleady defensive and angry, briefly spoke to the artist in Arabic, who told him that I had moved during the drying (several others there can attest that I did not). Contradicting his earlier statement, he went back and said that it would look just fine once I took it off, not messy at all. We left having paid full-price at a premium rate (given the reputation of the cafe), as I didn't want to further disturb other clients, for henna that was messy. The beauty of henna is that it's imperfect, but clean lines are desired in nearly any form of hand art. This is just shoddy work and poor business practice.

Reviewed November 14, 2017

friendly staff, not much too see. good food. you go there to get a henna tattoo, nothing else. unfortunately, you have to wait for your turn a bit.

Date of visit: December 2016
Reviewed November 8, 2017 via mobile

My wife and I were very fortunate to be staying in a riad just round the corner. Warm, friendly and unprepossessing. Great food I really enjoyed the smoked lamb and omelette sandwich. We have visited a couple of times and plan another couple of visits before we leave. There is information on how to speak simple phrases in the local dialect and French. This is all under the umbrella of an educational charity.