“Good but not 5*”

Ranked #128 of 500 Hotels in Marrakech
South Shields
“Good but not 5*”
Reviewed 27 April 2012

Our four nights here were throughly enjoyable with excellant weather which always helps.
A lovely room overlooking the golf course and childrens play area - no, it wasn't noisy! Two balconies meant that we had both the morning and evening sunshine.
Breakfasts whilst not cheap were excellent - the usual buffet style continental with the added advantage of omelettes, fried eggs,and pancakes made to order. All eaten beside the pool accompanied by a Moroccan musician playing quietly. Sit in the sun or in the shade is your choice.
Evening meals were a bit of a disappointment as some of the restaurants weren't open and as the last hotel bus into town went at 18.00hrs it was an early start to go for dinner. And a taxi ride back (150 dirhams -about £13 plus tip) to be added to the bill.
The golf course has 3 x 9 holes and you play according to the starter. We had a 30% discount from Expedia - hotel guests get 25%, which makes a round of golf for 2 with a cart about £87.
It's a shame that the hotel doesn't run more courtesy buses into the Medina, especially at night.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
London
Reviewed 9 April 2012

I stayed at the hotel for five days in March 2012 as part of an incentive trip organised by the company I work for. Overall the trip was fantastic and both myself and the group I was with had an amazing stay. There are, however, one or two points I'd like to raise about the hotel.

In terms of the facilities, interiors and architecture of the complex, I couldn't fault it - there are several restaurants, bars & night clubs in the hotel grounds in addition to shops, a spa & gym and of course the golf course. My room was also of a very high standard - a large and extremely comfortable bed, well stocked mini-bar, bath robes & slippers.

However, this hotel is let down massively by its poor levels of customer service. Here are some of my experiences:

1) One morning at 9.22am I asked the bar tender at the poolside bar for a bottle of water. Despite the fact he had finished setting up the entire bar (and that the fridge in my direct view was fully stock with bottled water) he told me, "No. You must come back at 9.30". Slightly bemused, I took a seat and waited patiently for the next eight minutes, then at 9.30am I returned and once again asked for a bottle of water. He then looked at me and said, "No. You can't have water. I have no money in the till. You will have to wait until the till has change". I was absolutely stunned and outraged by this! If that was the case, why didn't he just tell me that when I asked for the water in the first place?! If this was a true 5* hotel the bar tender would have given me the bottle of water and perhaps have charged it to my room. Needless to say, I had to hunt for water elsewhere.

2) When it came to paying for the drinks I'd had from the mini-bar when we were checking out, both myself and other people in my group had several drinks added to their bill which had never been consumed. Perhaps the chamber maids were thirsty for mid-morning alcoholic beverages? If this had just happened to me, I would have brushed it off as a mistake, but this was too much of a coincidence for it to happen to a handful of people in our party. Be warned - make a note of exactly what you drank and refuse to pay if they charge you for more. Staff in a 5* hotel should not behave in this way.

3) The speed of service at the pool bar and also the main bar in the hotel was nothing short of appalling. You would order a drink, be told to sit down, and you'd be lucky if it turned up less than twenty-five minutes later. At first I thought they were slow as we were a large group, but this happened every time we ordered a drink (sometimes when I'd gone by myself). I dread to think what it would be like in peak season - you'd probably have to wait for up to an hour! Again, poor service for a 5* hotel.

4) Overall, I found the staff uninterested and unaccommodating. Service was rarely with a smile and at times you felt like you were intruding their party.

These are just some of my customer-service experiences. There are more, but I'd be here all day.

I think it's a real shame, as the hotel complex itself is top quality. If the customer service levels were improved, I'd be able to rate this hotel higher than just average.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the pool or golf course/Atlas Mountain and on the first or second floor f...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank AndyLilliman
London
Reviewed 9 April 2012

We didn't stay in the hotel but did stay at the pool area and tried their buffet one day. Both of which were nice (costs about 320 dhiram for outside guests). The hotel is about 20mins car drive from the old town / medina and a cab should cost about 50-80 dhiram. If you take a cab back, I would suggest to just walk outside of the hotel complex where the cabs wait, because if you have the hotel lobby order you a cab, it will cost about 200 dhiram.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Utrecht
Reviewed 1 April 2012

Spend six days with my family looking for some sun & golf after a cold and snowy winter in the Netherlands. The resort is beautifully situated in the Palmeraie area, close to but not too close to to the buzzing Medina; they operate a shuttle service on a regular base (5 times a day) to the Jemaa el Fna, which is the central square, if one wants to visit it. Except for the shuttle service we also used their taxi service (from and to the airport, and to the Jardin Majorelle), which is excellent (very punctual) but a bit pricey. Hotel rooms are well equiped and nicely furnished; on the downside WIFI reception is poor in the rooms (but good in the public spaces). Breakfast at the pool is good, service in the pool area could do better. The fitness center was exceptional spacious and wel-equipped (Technogym), best I have ever encountered! Pool area is designed well especially for children, the surrounding gardens are luscious and well-maintained. Golf was great and we enjoyed playing every day. Lunch facilities were limited during our stay, but Dar Ennassim is close by fortunately (separate review). All in all we liked it very much and will certainly come back.

Room Tip: Swimming pool view adds to the oasis-feeling.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
chaumont-gistoux
Reviewed 26 March 2012

Second stay after first visit in 2011.Still impressed by the service level and kindness of the staff.Golf in excellent shape (first 9 could be better this year).Restaurants and spa super.

Room Tip: Better to select first or second floor to enjoy more light and views.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
UK
Reviewed 5 March 2012

I booked a golfing break to the PGP through 'Golfbreaks.com'. I was a little concerned at some of the negative reviews here though.
In the event, such concerns were unfounded. Is this a 'genuine' 5 star hotel? Well, in terms of the facilities on offer yes, but in terms of the quality and 'finish' no, it would rate more as 4 star.
What it does offer however is attentive, friendly and polite staff, keen to assist you in any possible way.
It offers well proportioned rooms, with good furnishings and large very comfortable beds. Reception rooms that are spacious, well appointed and relaxing.
Restaurants that serve up good food, though at prices a far bit higher than I expected in Morocco.
We stayed in a 'golf' room, one of the smallest rooms, but we had a seating area, and small patio in a shaded garden spot. Whilst perfectly acceptable, the rooms on the higher floors with balconies and views are without doubt better positioned.
The pool area is very nice, it is relaxing and with good furnishings. The weather in late February was just about perfect, around 23c or 74f, warn enough to sit by the pool in complete comfort or play golf with heat stress. By night temps dropped of to around 6c, cool enough to make sleeping comfortable, without the need for the air con.
Housekeeping staff were very efficient in cleaning the rooms.
The hotel is about a 20 minute taxi ride from the old town of Marrakech, The ride should cost around 100 MAD.
Overall we were very happy with our stay and would certainly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Higher floors have balconies with views, lower floors tend to have no effective view at all.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Cirencester
Reviewed 5 March 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Palmeraie Golf Palace for three weeks in February. We thought it was great. Our two objectives were warmth and golf and both were achieved. The golf course is a fair test, the greens were in good shape and we played most days. The caddies were a mixed bunch but on the whole we enjoyed the new experience of having a caddy. Most days it was warm enough to sunbathe by the pool. I can't think of one aspect of the hotel that disappointed us ; the room was large enough, the balcony and view stupendous towards the high Atlas, there was variety enough on the food front and the staff were friendly and helpful. The gym and indoor pool were first class. This is not a luxury hotel but it has character and is well appointed. We thought for the price we paid we got an excellent experience
The gardens are a feature of this hotel and they are impressive. Probably a bit quieter than we would have liked in the evenings but then again it was February. If you want to play golf in February in a warm climate,only 3 and a half hours from London, a not quite luxurious hotel - but good value for a lot of amenities The Palmeraie is recommended. We will recommend the Palmeraie to our friends

Room Tip: Try to get a view of the Atlas mountains
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple