See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed July 22, 2014 via mobile

This a budget riad, but it is truly peaceful, with a great terrace from which storks can be heard and seen. Our room on the upper level was large but a bit dark. Location is great, but it is hard to find! Don't confuse this with the Dar les Cigognes! I would return, but this is definitely a budget riad. But very peaceful!

Date of stay: July 2014
Reviewed April 9, 2012

If I ever go back to Marrakech, I will definitely choose Les Cigognes again. I will try to highlight what I liked so much about it:
- the room was very large and beautifully decorated;
- the breakfast was very generous and fresh (tea, coffee, milk, bread, fresh orange juice, pancakes, grapes etc.);
- the price was very good considering the fact the room was en-suite and with AC;
- located in a very quiet area of the town, but very close to Djema el Fna (10-15 minute walk);
- beautiful terrace;
- nice pool, decorated with candles at night (it looks very romantic);
- the room was cleaned every day by one of the women working over there (bin taken out, beds made);
- the manager (Mohammed - I hope I spelled his name correctly) was very nice and helpful. He gave us suggestions about where to go and what to see. I would also like to share one incident. On one of our days out, we ended up buying from a place some argan oil, tea, spices etc. We spent quite a lot of money. When I got back to the riad I showed Mohammed what I had bought. When I told him how much I had paid, he was astonished. He said I had been overcharged with about 50% and that I should call the Tourist Police. He said he had a friend who worked for them and that he would call him if I wanted to. We called his friend, the police officer, and he arrived in less than half an hour together with another colleague of his. I took them to the place where I had bought all the stuff from and immediately I was offered two options:
1. to return all the products and get all my money back;
2. to get back that 50% I had been overcharged with.
The police officers told me the place that sold me the products had a very good reputation in terms of the quality of the products they sold. Because of that, I decided to choose option number 2. I got back the extra money I had paid and I went back to the riad happy. I invited the 2 officers to a restaurant to have a drink as my way of thanking them but they refused me :) Apparently there were more people in my situation and they had to deal with their complaints as well.

Overall, I had a great time in this place! I am sure I will go back one day!

Date of stay: October 2011
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank smarthutza
Reviewed November 1, 2011

a lot to say about it , surrounded by monuments, saadian tombs, badii palace, bahia palace, jamai elfena square, quite ryad, very sympathic owners Bruno and Rachida.

Room tip: get a nice room at the first floor, close to the terrace.
Date of stay: December 2010
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
1  Thank taguleft
Reviewed July 18, 2011

We stayed for 2 nights at this riad at the beginning of our week in Marrakech. The riad is situated in a much quieter part of the Medina which is great and generally has a very relaxed atmosphere. The central garden to the riad was the best we have seen throughout our trip and the staff were very helpful. Nothing is a problem.

Only negative would be that we found the room very hot at night, even with a fan.

Date of stay: July 2011
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed March 20, 2011

The location was great - an easy walk to the Jemaa el Fna and close to the royal palaces. I was amazed how quiet the place was (apart from the storks!!) despite being so close to the centre of the action.

The riad didn't quite live up to the photos - it was a little more rough around the edges than anticipated ( cracks in the walls, shower holder missing, wobbly taps, electrical socket hanging out of the wall...that type of thing ) but was nonetheless charming and comfortable.

We enjoyed breakfast on the terrace - especially after some other guests advised us to leave the orange jam on a separate table to keep the numerous bees occupied! The breakfasts were substantial and delicious - freshly squeezed juice, tea or coffee, fresh fruit or yoghurt, breads, jams, pancakes...and the staff were very friendly and helpful.

The roof terrace area was very pleasant with attractive plants, outside furniture and very close proximity to the storks' nests - plus the shade of the spacious tented area. Unfortunately it wasn't warm enough to make use of the pool, but the surrounding area was also well laid out with plenty of sun loungers.

We ate at a nearby restaurant - Le Tanjia (by Place des Ferblantiers). It was beautifully lit and very atmospheric and, whilst not cheap (about £55 for two for two courses each, plus one dessert and half a bottle of wine), the food and service were both excellent.

Date of stay: March 2011