Riad Al Faras
Hotels.com
Riad Karmela(Marrakech)(Great Value!)
US$90
  • Breakfast included
Riad Vendome & Spa Marrakech(Marrakech)(Great Value!)
US$56
US$69
US$62
US$445
Cancelon
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed October 28, 2009

Based on the information provided and reviews on another site (all glowing) we booked this riad as a treat, as it was more expensive than we paid elsewhere. One of the reasons we booked it was the swimming pool. This is actually more like a pond in the reception area. You could swim in it (lie about it in rather than actually swim) which would have still been fine, but it hadn't seen chlorine for quite a while and was going green. Plus it was a bit awkward the concept of wearing ones swimsuit in reception... And isn't in the sun (shady in internal courtyard). The room was very ordinary, but comfortable and clean. The ensuite was fine, other than that the shower backed up which is one of my pet hates, and that there was just a white muslin curtain instead of door to the ensuite, which would be OK with your partner, but as it was a twin room and we were 2 friends it was a bit weird to say the least. The roof terrace again was disappointing. Just 2 sunloungers that weren't so clean, part of the roof set up for the hotel laundry and the other part mostly covered in shade cloth. Plus we had to squeeze past spare beds on the landing to get on to the terrace. No view. There is a nice little salon area off reception that would be a nice place to read a book, sit and chat. The hotel prices everything in euros rather than dirham which was a bit difficult as we aren't familiar with euros. The prices were very high. A meal was 36 euros for 2 people, where as we ate at one of the most popular and best places in Marrakesh, with entertainment, for 190 dirham for the 2 of us including 2 drinks each (about 17 euros I think) and the next night paid 135 dirham for the 2 of us (about 12 euors I think) right on the square to have delicious tagine (the best we had in 3 weeks), canned drinks, a huge pot of mint tea and watch the world go by in the square. A hotel transfer was 15 euros (about 160 Dirham), where as we paid 50 dirham, which is the rate on the board at the airport that you should pay to the square. The riad is basically impossible to find and the hotel give no real directions. I've been to Marrakesh five times and have a great sense of direction and I had not a hope of finding it. It has no proper sign - just a small plaque on the door, it's in a bit of a dodgy area off the main square. A moroccan guy basically insisted that we follow him despite us telling him no, then got aggressive with us as he wanted money - we were happy to give him some money, but he wanted a lot of course. If the hotel staff were willing to be texted and meet you at cafe france (big cafe on the square) the first time then I would recommend that. I wasn't too happy that the hotel staff let this guy in the riad to argue for more money, altho they did eventually sort it out for us and apologise. The staff are absolutely lovely and are helpful, but just not there most of the time. Early breakfast was a problem for them, and there was just no one around most of the time. I am being very negative, but it wasn't really so bad - it just didn't meet up with our expectations, and certainly was not worth the price we paid compared to other places we stayed in. We paid about £44 for the 2 of us, where as the night prior we paid less than £10 for the 2 of us and the place was certainly not as nice, but not bad at all and a better location. We paid £40 for another riad just off the square that was in another class altogether and was truly a treat. This riad did have some nice thoughtful touches with decoration, reasonable towels, hot water, comfortable beds with bedside lamps. It is not quiet however as the call to prayer sounds like it is coming from a loudspeaker just outside your room in the early hours....

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank travelkitkatnz
Reviewed June 25, 2008

What a fantastic little Riad! This place was cheap and therefore you need to remember that you get what you pay for. However, we cannot fault it at this standard. Our room was lovely and spacious, it and the bathroom was very clean. Our room was cleaned properly everyday and the staff were so friendly. Youseff, the Manager was very kind and only too happy to help. He saved our bacon when were harassed by guides we had to pay to get back to the Riad (we got lost!!). They demanded more money and he sorted them out. He never tired of our constant, how much for this, how much for that, how do we tell if it is a good one etc etc. The ladies were also very nice, always smiling and their breakfasts........sooooo good. Best breakfast we've had so far! What a feast.

This place was a little oasis in the mayhem of beautiful Marrakech. We would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
3  Thank dantri
Reviewed February 15, 2007

I stayed here for 4 nights with my daughter and generally it was OK; the decor and general atmosphere were very nice and people pleasant enough, when we saw them!
The communication with the owner re booking was fine, but I'm not sure this was transmitted effectively to the people actually running the place: there was confusion about the payment upfront for the airport transfers, for example. The breakfast was OK, but not great. The main issue for me was the availability of anyone - we seemed to be on our own most of the time, usually coming back to what seemed to be an empty place; I was a bit worried about fixing up exact timings for our return transfer. We had the mobile number of the main guy but given the earlier confusion I didn't want to rely on tricky conversations over my mobile to get the flight home, costing me roaming rates. It would have been very tricky to find without my teenager who luckily has a direction finder installed in her brain, and the government needs to do something about the homicidal nutcases who zoom through the alleyways on motorbikes - no escape for pedestrians- although this wasn't the Ryad's fault.

Stayed: February 2007
Reviewed January 15, 2007

Riad Al Faras was in a great location (a 5min walk to the medina) and was a decent price. It was clean and the breakfast was one of the best we had. I was picked up at the airport as arranged. This riad was by no means 'flash' but it was beyond basics and I would stay there again.

• Stayed: December 2006, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Backatwork
Reviewed September 27, 2006

We had two rooms here and it was ok for one night.

Its in a great location just 5 minutes walk from the main square but out of the 3 riads we stayed in Marrakech this one could not compare to the others and I would rather be a bit further out and enjoy a nicer stay.

The rooms were ok and were clean but a bit dark. The price was exactly the same as the other riads (Bayti and Amira) but no way as near as good value.

Breakfast was included and was the worse we had in the whole of Morocco. One small cold pancake. Everywhere is had croissants, pancakes, juice, yoghurts, bread and jams etc. We had to go and buy food outside which was not the case anywhere else.

Fine for a short stay if you are not going to spend too much time in the room.

Its main selling point is the location.

• Stayed: September 2006, travelled with friends