“Beautiful Riad and an unforgettable experience......”
Review of Dar Fakir

Dar Fakir
Ranked #338 of 499 Hotels in Marrakech
Reviewed 5 April 2012

Dar Fakir is a calm oasis in a very central position and we have no hesitation in recommending it. We stayed for 4 nights for my birthday at the end of March.

It is a very short walk from the main square. I am renowned for my lack of internal sat nav, but I amazed myself by finding my way back, which goes to prove just how close it is!

Whilst we loved the craziness of Marrakech, it was so good to have a cool, calm, chic retreat to return to at the end of the day. The decor is beautiful, and we particularly loved the style of the inner court yard and the upper terrace where breakfast is served. The downstairs suite we stayed in (Salama) was a nice size and very atmospheric.

The service was warm, helpful and personal from most of the staff. We had the set dinner there twice as the food was definitely the best we experienced in Marrakech - do try the chicken, lemon and olive tagine - it is divine.

The sister restaurant - Le Salama, which is about a 3 minute walk away, is very good too. There's a belly dancing extravaganza every night and a lovely, covered roof top area full of twinkling candles of an evening.

The only reason I haven't given Dar Fakir a 5 star rating is the fact that it was at times a little Basil Fawlty'ish. To give an example, our transport from the airport was late, the driver had no sign, didn't know our names and didn't speak English. We can't speak French, so to say we had difficulty in communicating is an understatement. I ended up escorting him across the airport and presenting him to the staff at the information desk to try to establish his real identity! I tried to call the Riad a couple of times too, but there was no-one available who spoke English at the time. We eventually gave him the benefit of the doubt and got into his van, but he then got back out and proceeded to have a rather heated discussion with 3 other men in the car park. I look back now and find it really funny, but at the time it was a more stressful start to our break than we perhaps would have liked. Admittedly, I have a vivid imagination, but I did wonder whether we would be appearing as missing people on the BBC news when we didn't arrive back home 4 days later. Then, after all that excitement, when we finally arrived at the Riad, we were shown to the wrong room. To be fair there was a power cut at the time, which may have contributed to the confusion.

Whilst we loved our suite it was very noisy at times. The noise was not from the guests, but the staff - we were at times party to some lively debates. This went on way past midnight on one evening. In hindsight, perhaps one of the upstairs rooms may have been preferable, but in a strange, perverse way, I guess it all added to a genuine Moroccan experience that we will never forget.

We really did have a fantastic experience but there's definitely never a dull moment in Marrakech!

Room Tip: The suites are much larger and definitely worth the additional cost. We would suggest booking a sui...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank JulesJREE
DarFakir1, Director Dar Fakir at Dar Fakir, responded to this reviewResponded 8 April 2012

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at Dar Fakir with other travelers. I am very happy that you enjoyed the riad and appreciated the location as well as our cuisine.

We did make a mistake with the room check in, unfortunately one of our staff mistook you for some other arrivals. I can only apologize. Your feedback about the transfer has been most helpful. That the driver not holding a sign is unacceptable to us as we insist on this. Luckily we could now immediately take this flaw up with the transfer company. To further improve the transfer service we have asked to be informed of any delays which we would otherwise not have known about.

There will be no reoccurring noise issues of that sort. Management has dealt with this matter!

We intend to remain the oasis of calm that our guests so love and enjoy.

Reviewed 3 April 2012

Firstly I would like to say a huge thank you to Kerstin, Houda and the rest of the staff at Dar Fakir for looking after myself and 14 other girls (!) during our trip to Marrakech in March - you were all so helpful with anything we needed and the service was superb.
We took the property on an exclusive-use basis, meaning we had use of all 7 bedrooms and the rest of the property. We were met at the airport for our transfers and taken right to Djemaa el-Fna square, where we were then met by guides who led us to the riad - it was less than 5 minutes' walk through a few streets and very easy to navigate back yourself. Arriving at the property, you are greeted by a huge wooden door, and awaiting you inside is a true hidden gem. The property's decor is so well thought out and is very chic with a Moroccan touch - each of the rooms have comfy beds, lovely bathrooms and the largest suite has a TV (although we didn't watch it once).
During our stay the team at Dar Fakir organised some great activities - we had a traditional Moroccan dinner on the terrace on our first night (as well as sunbathing up there earlier in the afternoon) and breakfast there both mornings. We also took a trip to Nikki Beach - which was well worth the trip - great weather, great music and great fun for a group of ladies. Drinks and food, don't come cheap (cokes and beer cost 100 Dirham each), but it's worth it for a special day out.
We also dined at one of Dar Fakir's sister restaurants, Le Salama - traditional yet great entertainment (think belly dancing) and we all had such a giggle.
Some of the ladies had been a little bit nervous about travelling to Marrakech in a large group, but I can honestly say that other than a little banter in the souk, we had no problems - so long as you are respectful of the culture, Marrakech is a very welcoming city.
For anyone looking for a trip to Marrakech, I would highly recommend Dar Fakir.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank travelcatzUK
Reviewed 18 March 2012

A huge thank you from the Marrakech Biennale to Dar Fakir. We greatly appreciate your support in hosting one of our participants and our film program. Kerstin and Nordine went out of their way to make everything so seemless and just right. You have definitely helped us in making this edition of the Biennale a great success!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 March 2012

We had an amazing time at Dar Fakir. It is the perfect place to stay in Marrakech!
Great location, beautiful rooms, delicious food and most of all amazing service! We felt just like home in this magnificent and luxurous riad thanks to the fantastic service of the hole team!!

Thank you once again Houda,Norredine,Fouzia, Nadir and Kerstin for an amazing stay!

Justine-Najib.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 February 2012

Only a few minutes walking distance from the main square in the Medina, Dar Fakir is by far the most elegant Riad I have come across in my various trips to Marrakech.

Not only is it an oasis of calm & tranquility amongst the bustle of the Medina market, Dar Fakir is also superbly decorated in a signature style that feels both classic and modern. I found myself gazing at every detail - the beautiful gold lacquered tables, the paintings, the armoires & the authentic Moroccan lamps. My travel companion and I even spent a 1/2 day just relaxing on the luxurious sofas while soaking up the serene atmosphere. Our room was perfect & if it had been a bit warmer outside, we would have spent some more time lounging on the beautiful terrace.

Christina (manager) & her wonderful team provided a warm welcome upon arrival and were always on hand throughout our stay to give helpful tips on what to see, where to dine and make the best of our stay. We really felt at home...

100% pleased and I will most definitely re-visit!!!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 February 2012

i have just returned from my second amazing trip to Marrakech staying at the Riad Dar Fakir, from the moment I made contact to book to the moment we left I found the service faultless!
We arrived at lunchtime after an early start from Gatwick Airport, after being shown to our rooms which were all exceptional and a welcome drink we were served lunch on the roof terrace where indeed we remained enjoying the sunshine and the local vin gris. Dinner was arranged for us in the Riad absolutely superb cuisine. Service here is obviously of great importance and the staff never faltered. Kirsten will make any reservations for you, local guides, restaurants, balloon rides etc. This is a great place to go as a couple small group or like us take over the whole place it felt like a private house party. We have vowed to return every year for that bit of winter sun and amazing hospitality. Well done to all the staff keep doing what you are doing as it is perfection

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank carol p
DarFakir1, Director at Dar Fakir, responded to this reviewResponded 3 February 2012

Thank you Carol, we look forward to having you come back again.

Reviewed 31 January 2012

Just returned from Dar Fakir Riad- Great Website and Photos, unfortunately does not live up to reality when there. (does the camera lie?)
My opinion is that it is overpriced for the standard of accommodation, and I could not recommend it to anyone, even though the day to day staff try their best. It is appoached by a series of entryways/streets approximatly a metre wide, and on our second evening the only light in the entryway had gone out (apparently responsibilty of authorities in Marrakech) Management at the Riad suggested I telephone when returning each evening -and staff would walk us back with a Candle! Why the Riad do not install a external light in a pitch black entryway is beyond me.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank 481TrevorMac
DarFakir1, Director Dar Fakir at Dar Fakir, responded to this reviewResponded 1 February 2012

Thank you for your feedback. It is good to know what you thought of your stay however I am surprised at the criticism of the entry to the riad - I know that you wandered the streets of the medina I am sure you will have realised that the streets in Marrakech in general are narrow and windy. I am suprised that unlike other people you did not appreciate the simplicity of finding the riad or it's close location to the square. Exactly this is what most of our guests find so charming. Further as you rightly say we had a problem with the electricity in the road. You might have noticed that 3 lights were out not only ours and it was immediately reported to Radeema. Unfortunately in Morocco response times are not of the same service level that you could expect in Europe and can therefore take a little longer to fix. We therefore offered to walk you to and from the riad every evening. In all fairness whether we offer to do this with a candle or torch is irrelevant. The point is we appreciate our guests comfort and security and it is about being escorted by a person - which you however turned down.
So why you would not mention your concerns to us directly during your stay but first when you have left is beyond me. In terms of fixing an external light we are a step ahead as this has already been implemented.