Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
montgolfier
Zurich, Switzerland

Promises not kept

Review of Riad Goloboy
2.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed Jan 6, 2024
Attention - what you see is for sure NOT what you get!
Pictures are outdated and chosen / designed for their instagrammability only . So beware.
Let me describe our experience:
- Location: The place is remotely located by all standards. Be prepared to walk, you cannot approach it by car / taxi. Fair enough, but the walk is through construction materials, spilled sewage and litter. The air quality is bad even for Marrakech standards.
- Rooms: quirky design some, but not comfortable; some are window-less, most are chair-less, all are super noisy and cleanliness is a notable issue. The most uncomfortable bed in a long time. But, of course, you can’t see that on insta…. The rooms are made for nice photos on the web, but not for nice experiences.
- Breakfast / food: simple, limited choices, but good quality for breakfast, other meals: don’t bother
- Service: mixed bag. Some of the guys are very trying very hard, booked services sometimes don’t work out; most of them are very friendly though.

All in, the place is a giant over-promise. It’s a cash-making machine because the owners are brilliant online marketeers. We booked it because we found it on a CN traveller recommendation list! How it ended up on that I find somewhat miraculous. You can’t make this up.
Stay away. There are myriads of better options that care about the guests and not the image.
Date of stay: December 2023
Exterior view
  • ibis
6.4 km from Riad Goloboy
View more hotels in Marrakech
All reviews min walk beautiful riad hamid rooftop mamounia taxi morocco alley medina palace
Selected filters
Reviewed October 24, 2023

The service is good. They ensure you have breakfast and coffee available. The riad needs work and updating. We didn’t realize until the last day that we were in the old city and there was a new city. If we had known, we would’ve stayed here for just one night for the experience and then went to the new city. The old city is very overwhelming and everyone is trying to hustle you and panhandling is a bit too much. My only issues were….The Goloboy is off an alley street which doesn’t seem safe and cats everywhere. We asked the riad staff about where to get wine and he told my young adult son, we have wine. My son went with him to choose the wine, and asked do you take credit card? The man put a hand on his chest, “Its fine, it’s on me.” The next day when I went to check out, he charged me $20 euros for travelers tax (although we prepaid on booking.com) and asked for 150 dhs for the wine. I was shocked and annoyed because we could’ve easily went out for much better wine and he gave the impression it was “on him.” I told him I had to go to the ATM and he stated to give it to his colleague in the morning when we checked out. The next morning, his colleague followed us as we were going to catch our taxi so we could stop at the ATM and give him the money. Of course the ATM doesn’t give change so I ended up giving him 200 dhs for “CRAPPY” wine! The whole time my son and I was in the old city we felt as if we were constantly being hustled and unfortunately the same applied here. Do yourself a favor, reduce the anxiety of being followed and hustled while on vacation…stay in the new city!

Room tip: If you don’t want to be overwhelmed w/hustlers & panhandlers, stay in the new city. Stay at a riad one night for experience.
Date of stay: October 2023
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed October 2, 2023

This riad is BEAUTIFUl!! Within good walking distance to main area of city (apx. 10 minutes). The staff was fabulous- incredibly helpful. Amazing breakfast, dinners, and tea. Our room was lovely, spacious, and the bed was very comfy. We would recommend this riad to everyone- it was perfect!

Date of stay: September 2023
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed January 5, 2023

Very very tired and unclean place to stay. The pictures placed on the website by the owners are outdated not indicative of the condition of the Riad. I am in the hospitality business and this place is not as it looks on the websites unfortunately.

On the website, the room that we reserved was not intended for 3 people, yet they squeezed 3 of us into the room without any room for our luggage.

The shower had black mold (see picture) which is why we needed to place a towel on the bottom.

The floors were filthy, and the rug soiled (see pics).
Wi-fi did not reach into the room.
The public areas are tired, along with the sofas and chairs which are soiled/stained.
Very disappointed in the misrepresentation of this property.
While the staff was lovely, the owners clearly need to get this place cleaned up.

As we had to check out and find another place to stay, we requested a refund. The owners, while they could have been honest with the condition and descriptions on the web, have refused to do the right thing. Very Sad!

Date of stay: December 2022
5  Thank DanaGT
Reviewed December 2, 2022

Found this riad online at a great price and the pictures looked good so we booked for two guests. It’s a great central location in the Medina. It’s not accessible directly by car, so it’s about a 3-4 min walk from the gate to the riad. The staff is absolutely amazing! They went above and beyond to make our stay comfortable and everyone was so sweet. They brought us Moroccan mint tea and cookies on arrival and we had it again multiple times throughout the stay. We talked with the staff for hours and they were always cheerful and welcoming. I celebrated my birthday there and they got me a whole cake and sang to me. The guys helped with our luggage going and coming since there’s a short walk to car path. The riad itself is so cute and decorated by an artist. There’s an indoor pool and a rooftop where they serve breakfast every morning. There’s also a restaurant that can be reserved. We had dinner there one night and it was great. It’s very easy to get a taxi right from the front gate. It’s also fairly close to the airport. There are other rooms, but we rarely saw other guests and it is great for privacy and quiet. I highly recommend booking here. Thank you Riad Goloboy, Juwad, Hamid and all the staff for a great stay and for being so kind.

Date of stay: November 2022
Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed November 27, 2022

Just spent 4 nights in Riad Goloboy with my teenage daughter and would not hesitate to recommend it.
It is showing its age a little, however, it is kept very clean.
There are more luxurous riads with more facilities (priced accordingly) but if you are looking for an authentic Marrakesh experience within the ancient city walls (with all of the sights, odours and sounds to match from sunrise onwards) you will not find a warmer welcome or more helpful staff, anywhere in Marrakesh.
Highly recommended.