All reviewsmint teathe main squareroom was clean and comfortablebook excursionsany requestsan oasisrooftop terracethe hustle and bustleyogurtpancakestaginesouksdriverchannelspalacehaggle
Reviewed June 2, 2017 via mobile

This place has great potential. It's in a great area of the Medina, just 15 minutes to the main square but set back enough to where you can't hear the hustle and bustle of the main streets. If they marketed themselves as a 2.. even 3 star place it would be different but this is FAR from 5 star.

Here's where they go wrong
1. The wifi is HORRIBLE no matter where in the hotel you are. It seemed to be a little better in the mornings but would barely load a webpage the entire stay
2. The beds are old and super springy. You roll right into the middle.
3. They only provide tiny packets of 2 in 1 shampoo and don't refill them after the first day.
4. They don't change the sheets. And worse, we found hair that wasn't ours on the pillows.
5. It's very noisy! Our first room was on the 2nd level and we were woken up in he evening and again in the morning by the sounds of the heavy chairs being moved from the terrace above. We were moved to a room on the lower floor by the pool and were told it would be very quiet there. It was worse! The bird they keep in the cage by the pool chirped all night, we could hear every time someone rang the doorbell to come in and every time people came to sit and have a smoke or chat on the phone by the pool we could hear everything.
6. The drain from the sink smelled like sewage. And the water pressure in the shower was intermittent. Not to mention the countless times we were unable to flush the toilet.
7. While it was nice to have breakfast, it was pathetic. Bread with jam and cereal every day is all they served.

The only good thing about this hotel was the hospitality from Ishan. While he didn't speak much English he was there what seemed like 24/7 and was very friendly and helpful.

I do NOT recommend this hotel. We barely slept due to the noise and we're extremely frustrated the rest of the time due to all the other things that make this hotel poor at best.

Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JuliePaige289
Brigittelefevre58, Gérant at Palais Riad Calipau Marrakech, responded to this reviewResponded August 30, 2017

Hello.

I want to apologize for the late response. And I sincerely regret that you have not found satisfaction in us.

However, let me see some points.

1- Internet. Internent works very well. You are the only ones to complain about it. We use the internet every day and it works perfectly. I use Facebook, whatsapp, youtube with other customers everyday and no one complained! You can understand that we are in the old town and that we do not have Optics Fiber! As well as the thickness of the walls that does not facilitate the flow...

2- Bedding. As always, you are the only ones complaining about the beds. A family spends more than a week in your room and never complained about the beds, on the contrary.

3- the shampoo and soap is refilled every day.

4- The pillowcases and sheets are changed every day. If you really found a hair that does not belong to you, why did not you come to see me?

5- Noisy? You heard sounds that nobody had heard before. You lay about people and birds ... Why not have was seeing people to ask them to make less noise? And why did not they come to see me for the bird? I could have changed the place of the cage.

6- Still something you are the only ones to smell.

7- Breakfast. Every day the same?

Monday: beghir + grissat + yogurt
Tuesday: Mssemen + lemon harcha + lemon yogurt
Wednesday: Batbout + orange cake + yogurt orange flower + mssemen salted
Thursday: beghir + donut + chocolate cake + vanilla yogurt
Friday: Méloui + toast + lemon yoghurt + salted meloui
Saturday: Beghir + orange harcha + orange yogurt
Sunday: Batbout + mssemen + yogurt vanilla + salted batbout

You complain of many things, but you have only come to see me once. It's surprising.

I regret you didn’t find satisfaction.

Christophe and all the calipau team.

Reviewed April 24, 2017 via mobile

What a beautiful Riad, I stayed here with my mother in a deluxe twin room and it was beautiful. We arrived late and they made us a lovely chicken tagine which was very tasty. The room was cool, the breakfast was tasty, the staff were extremely helpful and knowledgeable. We had a hamman scrub and massage which was great. The riad isn't far from the main square and the surrounding area has some nice places to eat and drink. I would stay here again for sure!

Stayed: April 2017, travelled with family
2  Thank Alice M
Reviewed March 15, 2017 via mobile

I came to find this place via TripAdvisor and this definately is a little gem. It's hidden in the back streets of the Kasbah and only a short walk to the Jemma Al Fannah square. As soon as you step into this place it's a complete cut off from the hustle and bustle of the outside. I wanted a real riad experience and this was great!

It's quiet it's clean and well kept.

The manager is knowledgeable with the areas to visits, does and don'ts.

PROS - close to everything, close to some good spas, tourist attractions and great restaurants. Beds are comfortable, air con worked great, any requests are seen to quite quickly. You always enter to this amazing aroma!! Excursions can be booked quite quickly through the riad. Towels are plentiful. We personally loved the fact that we were on the lower floor by the pool.

Cons - I only have one, the breakfast consisted of alot of breads/sugars/ pancakes/high carbs, variety was limited, hard to be healthy. But there probably are some guests that love that kind of stuff. A little more varied would be great.

There was a very rude old guest who decided to have a go at the wonderful night attendant, (I forget his name) but he spoke little English, always understood what I said and was always smiling. The rude old man was way out of line, shouting at him. His complaint was that some people were loud in the morning. Background- we were leaving for the airport this morning. Unsure if he was talking about us and the sound of our quiet trainers on the cobbled floors, whispering to each other, or he could have been referring to the call of prayer which is on loud speaker outside, and he thought that was the loud noises. Anyway, just a note to the manager, your attendant was very sweet very accommodating and any complaints that may come from that very old man is unjustified.

Morocco is a beautiful country and this is a great place to start your trip to discover it.

Stayed: March 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed February 5, 2017

This was our first trip to Marrakech as a couple and we received amazing service from everyone at the Riad. The owner was really down to earth and would always take care of us. There was a staff member who's name was Abdul sadek who really made our stay really pleasant and we will always go back to their Riad next time we visit!! His service was exceptional and he is a exemplary example of customer service at its finest.

Raza from London

• Stayed: December 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Raza_hassan
Reviewed January 29, 2017

Most taxis won't drop you in front of the Riad so at first glance it's a little uncomfortable, but there are normally kids standing on the corner who will direct you for a tip of course. I stayed here in January and it was chilly. When I arrived Stephanie gave me a map of a few places in the area that I could see and that was it. Later I met Abduel and Isham who offered tea, a tour of the Riad as well as arranged services that I was interested in. They were the best by far!! They were so attentive, and helpful and truly made my stay memorable!! Abduel suggested many excursions for me, assisted myself and other guests when trying to find restaurants, adjusted the heat in the room, just all around a wonderful, helpful person!! The owners were polite but not very talkative or helpful. I had a first floor room which at times was noisy and where most people smoke so that often traveled into the room. :( The breakfast is very basic, and the wifi isn't very strong at times. It's definitely not a 5 star hotel but it's clean and comfortable to rest your head. I had the room that sleeps 3 on the first level, both shower heads had a whole in them, but the owner Stephanie was attentive and didn't delay the issue. Kasbah, Tombs, and Souks are near just for example. They have a pool and offered to heat it if I chose to swim but it was too cold. I didn't eat dinner here, but another guest said they have to place the order hours in advance because there isn't a stove/oven for cooking so they send for it. I'm not sure if it's true but just an fyi if you choose to order in. Summer has to be fun with the rooftop.

Room Tip: Great Location
  • Stayed: January 2017, travelled solo