“5 star? Not even close!”

Palais Riad Calipau Marrakech
Ranked #293 of 1,167 Marrakech B&B and Inns
Reviewed 2 June 2017 via mobile

Severely disappointed, we booked 3 nights here and were looking forward to relaxing. Too bad we couldn't! We first were placed in a room on the second floor, after seeing the room and trying to use the Internet, sitting on the bed and checking out the bathroom (saloon doors to the toilet?) we wanted to leave. We contacted our booking company but since the Riad manager had left for the day (pretty sure 5 star places have a MoD at all times) they were unable to help for the first night. We sunk into the old lumpy beds and fell asleep. We were awoken at 11pm by the sound of someone on the rooftop terrace moving around the heavy chairs. After they calmed down we fell back asleep, then at 6am someone started setting up for breakfast and moving furniture around. After the first night we decided to speak with the manager, he agreed to move us, we picked a bigger room that was on the first floor, one of two open. The first room we were shown was the same bed, but the TV had no connection and only DVDs, so we picked the second vacant room. Everything else was the same, but, our new first floor room had the added bonus of the other loud guests that came to sit by the pool early morning or late night would be loud, and the room had no proper insulation so their conversations were loud and clear. The people above us also had a parade every night around 9pm while getting ready, and then another one at 12pm when coming back for the night.

The amenities are not 5 star. We are not fancy people, but when booking a 5 star place we expect fluffy towels, real nice soaps, small bottles of shampoo and conditioner, sheets that are not falling apart and a shower curtail, or door on the shower as not to flood the floors. Oh, a toilet that flushes and doesn't run for 29 minutes after would be nice. We got threadbare towels, squeeze packets of shampoo, thin cheap soap and a lumpy bed.
There is a free breakfast, thats only good if you're a bread-a-tarian, lots of bread, the same bread all 3 days, only on the last day was there some warm yogurt. It also seemed that they made food, and when it's gone, it's gone. Maybe if you're first at breakfast at 8:30, you can eat like a king, or queen, but we ate at 9:30 and the "buffet" seemed to be bare. There was a whole cucumber and 2 whole tomatoes on the buffet if we got hungry enough. At least there was excellent mint tea and fresh squeezed OJ.

The internet/wifi was horrible. We are young travelers, we have been all over the world and this was some of the worst, couldn't load Facebook, upload pictures or video chat, let alone stream. The wifi signal was strong, but the internet was slow. We have yet to deal with such bad internet in Morocco yet.

The best parts of the riad was Ishan, he was always there, happy and helpful. The manager Christophe was knowledgeable about the area and helpful.

We booked about a month out, and paid the same as we would've for a real 5 star hotel in the Palmerie area. When we arrived we checked the rates again and it was $15-25 cheaper for each night, so make sure you get a booking site that will refund you if your booking price is higher. The location of the riad is nice, 15 minutes walk in the heat to the Jemma square, you don't hear the outside noises, just the other rude guests.

Do yourself a favor, don't pay more than $50/night, and expect 2-3 star amenities.

Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
3  Thank heavyroller
Brigittelefevre58, Gérant at Palais Riad Calipau Marrakech, responded to this reviewResponded 30 August 2017

Hello.
First of all sorry to answer you so late.

I sincerely regret that you have not found satisfaction. But let me clarify some points.

You had the most beautiful suite of our establishment. But you've heard noises on the terrace that nobody has heard so far. You are the first to complain about noise on the terrace early in the morning and at night. But I'll leave you the benefit of the doubt.

So in the morning you came to see me and asked me to change rooms. Thought I immediately accepted without discussion. I showed you two rooms. A very large double room and a large triple room. I even left you the choice!

The first thing you have done is to rush on television! Yes, there is no satelite in this room as it is broken down. But I have made available to you a dvd player as well as 50 films at your disposal! For 3 nights I think it's enough, right? You complain of the bed in the double room. But how can you tell that it is the same bed as the previous room when you had not spent the night there?

Then! So you asked to see the large triple room. As for the double room, you immediately turn on the TV, which by chance works perfectly! Phew! So you accepted that room.

You complained a lot about the bedding in yours reviews. A family spent more than a week in this room and they never complained about my bedding, on the contrary! By the way, no one is ever complained about my flush too...

Now, the other guest. You are also the only ones to complain about them! Why not have been seeing them for their asked to make less noises? It's just like complaining about my bird ... Yes, a bird sings. And it is a very good thing because it brings a touch of cheerfulness. It pleases everyone except you! Why you didn't come to see me about that?

"We are not fancy people" Are you sure? Now internet! Internet works very well. We do not have a huge flow as we are in the old town! We do not have optics fiber. Every day I use internet, whatsapp, youtube and facebook with other customers and it works very well. You are still the only ones to complain about this!

Breakfast now. Every day the same? Please just let me remind you:

Monday: beghir + grissat + yogurt
Tuesday: Mssemen + lemon harcha + lemon yogurt
Wednesday: Batbout + orange cake + yogurt orange flower + mssemen salted
Thursday: beghir + donut + chocolate cake + vanilla yogurt
Friday: Méloui + toast + lemon yoghurt + salted melon
Saturday: Beghir + orange harcha + orange yogurt
Sunday: Batbout + mssemen + yogurt vanilla + salted batbout

Every day the same? Hicham is always with you on the terrace to make sure that there is nothing missing ... I want to remind you that the riad was not full during your 3 days and that the majority of people come to take their breakfast towards 9h 9h30. So it astonishes me that it is empty as you say ...

Now, my management. So for you I have to sleep at the riad? Do not I have a right to a family life? Do you know many managers who sleep at their hotel?
Just to finish. It is normal to find cheaper rooms on the same day or at the last minute.

You complain about a lot of things but you only came to see me once. It's stunning.
I sincerely regret that you did not find satisfaction with us.

Christophe and the whole team of Palais Calipau.

Reviewed 2 June 2017 via mobile

This place has great potential. It's in a great area of the Medina, just 15 minutes to the main square but set back enough to where you can't hear the hustle and bustle of the main streets. If they marketed themselves as a 2.. even 3 star place it would be different but this is FAR from 5 star.

Here's where they go wrong
1. The wifi is HORRIBLE no matter where in the hotel you are. It seemed to be a little better in the mornings but would barely load a webpage the entire stay
2. The beds are old and super springy. You roll right into the middle.
3. They only provide tiny packets of 2 in 1 shampoo and don't refill them after the first day.
4. They don't change the sheets. And worse, we found hair that wasn't ours on the pillows.
5. It's very noisy! Our first room was on the 2nd level and we were woken up in he evening and again in the morning by the sounds of the heavy chairs being moved from the terrace above. We were moved to a room on the lower floor by the pool and were told it would be very quiet there. It was worse! The bird they keep in the cage by the pool chirped all night, we could hear every time someone rang the doorbell to come in and every time people came to sit and have a smoke or chat on the phone by the pool we could hear everything.
6. The drain from the sink smelled like sewage. And the water pressure in the shower was intermittent. Not to mention the countless times we were unable to flush the toilet.
7. While it was nice to have breakfast, it was pathetic. Bread with jam and cereal every day is all they served.

The only good thing about this hotel was the hospitality from Ishan. While he didn't speak much English he was there what seemed like 24/7 and was very friendly and helpful.

I do NOT recommend this hotel. We barely slept due to the noise and we're extremely frustrated the rest of the time due to all the other things that make this hotel poor at best.

Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JuliePaige289

Hello.

I want to apologize for the late response. And I sincerely regret that you have not found satisfaction in us.

However, let me see some points.

1- Internet. Internent works very well. You are the only ones to complain about it. We use the internet every day and it works perfectly. I use Facebook, whatsapp, youtube with other customers everyday and no one complained! You can understand that we are in the old town and that we do not have Optics Fiber! As well as the thickness of the walls that does not facilitate the flow...

2- Bedding. As always, you are the only ones complaining about the beds. A family spends more than a week in your room and never complained about the beds, on the contrary.

3- the shampoo and soap is refilled every day.

4- The pillowcases and sheets are changed every day. If you really found a hair that does not belong to you, why did not you come to see me?

5- Noisy? You heard sounds that nobody had heard before. You lay about people and birds ... Why not have was seeing people to ask them to make less noise? And why did not they come to see me for the bird? I could have changed the place of the cage.

6- Still something you are the only ones to smell.

7- Breakfast. Every day the same?

Monday: beghir + grissat + yogurt
Tuesday: Mssemen + lemon harcha + lemon yogurt
Wednesday: Batbout + orange cake + yogurt orange flower + mssemen salted
Thursday: beghir + donut + chocolate cake + vanilla yogurt
Friday: Méloui + toast + lemon yoghurt + salted meloui
Saturday: Beghir + orange harcha + orange yogurt
Sunday: Batbout + mssemen + yogurt vanilla + salted batbout

You complain of many things, but you have only come to see me once. It's surprising.

I regret you didn’t find satisfaction.

Christophe and all the calipau team.

Reviewed 24 April 2017 via mobile

What a beautiful Riad, I stayed here with my mother in a deluxe twin room and it was beautiful. We arrived late and they made us a lovely chicken tagine which was very tasty. The room was cool, the breakfast was tasty, the staff were extremely helpful and knowledgeable. We had a hamman scrub and massage which was great. The riad isn't far from the main square and the surrounding area has some nice places to eat and drink. I would stay here again for sure!

Stayed: April 2017, travelled with family
2  Thank Alice M
Reviewed 15 March 2017 via mobile

I came to find this place via TripAdvisor and this definately is a little gem. It's hidden in the back streets of the Kasbah and only a short walk to the Jemma Al Fannah square. As soon as you step into this place it's a complete cut off from the hustle and bustle of the outside. I wanted a real riad experience and this was great!

It's quiet it's clean and well kept.

The manager is knowledgeable with the areas to visits, does and don'ts.

PROS - close to everything, close to some good spas, tourist attractions and great restaurants. Beds are comfortable, air con worked great, any requests are seen to quite quickly. You always enter to this amazing aroma!! Excursions can be booked quite quickly through the riad. Towels are plentiful. We personally loved the fact that we were on the lower floor by the pool.

Cons - I only have one, the breakfast consisted of alot of breads/sugars/ pancakes/high carbs, variety was limited, hard to be healthy. But there probably are some guests that love that kind of stuff. A little more varied would be great.

There was a very rude old guest who decided to have a go at the wonderful night attendant, (I forget his name) but he spoke little English, always understood what I said and was always smiling. The rude old man was way out of line, shouting at him. His complaint was that some people were loud in the morning. Background- we were leaving for the airport this morning. Unsure if he was talking about us and the sound of our quiet trainers on the cobbled floors, whispering to each other, or he could have been referring to the call of prayer which is on loud speaker outside, and he thought that was the loud noises. Anyway, just a note to the manager, your attendant was very sweet very accommodating and any complaints that may come from that very old man is unjustified.

Morocco is a beautiful country and this is a great place to start your trip to discover it.

Stayed: March 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 February 2017

This was our first trip to Marrakech as a couple and we received amazing service from everyone at the Riad. The owner was really down to earth and would always take care of us. There was a staff member who's name was Abdul sadek who really made our stay really pleasant and we will always go back to their Riad next time we visit!! His service was exceptional and he is a exemplary example of customer service at its finest.

Raza from London

• Stayed: December 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Raza_hassan
Reviewed 29 January 2017

Most taxis won't drop you in front of the Riad so at first glance it's a little uncomfortable, but there are normally kids standing on the corner who will direct you for a tip of course. I stayed here in January and it was chilly. When I arrived Stephanie gave me a map of a few places in the area that I could see and that was it. Later I met Abduel and Isham who offered tea, a tour of the Riad as well as arranged services that I was interested in. They were the best by far!! They were so attentive, and helpful and truly made my stay memorable!! Abduel suggested many excursions for me, assisted myself and other guests when trying to find restaurants, adjusted the heat in the room, just all around a wonderful, helpful person!! The owners were polite but not very talkative or helpful. I had a first floor room which at times was noisy and where most people smoke so that often traveled into the room. :( The breakfast is very basic, and the wifi isn't very strong at times. It's definitely not a 5 star hotel but it's clean and comfortable to rest your head. I had the room that sleeps 3 on the first level, both shower heads had a whole in them, but the owner Stephanie was attentive and didn't delay the issue. Kasbah, Tombs, and Souks are near just for example. They have a pool and offered to heat it if I chose to swim but it was too cold. I didn't eat dinner here, but another guest said they have to place the order hours in advance because there isn't a stove/oven for cooking so they send for it. I'm not sure if it's true but just an fyi if you choose to order in. Summer has to be fun with the rooftop.

Room Tip: Great Location