“Fantastic location, nosy staff”
Review of Hotel Bouregreg

Hotel Bouregreg
Ranked #38 of 45 Hotels in Rabat
Bremerton, Washington
“Fantastic location, nosy staff”
Reviewed 11 January 2011

On the whole, I didn't have a huge problem with this hotel, which is situated perfectly to see all the major sights of Rabat -- the medina, Hassan Tower, Kasbah, the beach. It was a great mid-range budget choice, if you are not looking for a hostel or a ritzy hotel experience. The showers worked fine, it was safe, clean and secure, which was important to me, as a female, solo traveler.

However my experience was tainted by a rule that said you were never allowed to bring anyone up to your room, even if it was just to your door. I was in town to visit a friend (male), and even in the daytime, he would get harassed for wanting to escort me to my room. I've stayed at plenty of places in Morocco, and I understand the culture (my friend is Muslim), but I have never been anywhere where, if you've paid for your room, you're not allowed to have people visit (NOT stay the night).

On our last night in Rabat, we decided we would pay for a double instead of a single, because we were traveling early together the next morning to our next destination. The daytime manager said it was OK, but when we arrived back at night, the night manager (who had had the most attitude toward us) feigned misunderstanding and said that my friend would have to pay for a separate room.

Also, the walls were very, very thin. I would wake up at the sound of furniture moving in the next room.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Belgium
Reviewed 25 June 2010

I stayed here a second time in May 2010 and was disappointed. The location is good, accross a main entrance to the medina, souk, near the Kasbah Oudaia, the beach and the tour hassan and mausoleum. Next to the hotel you have a place where the grand taxi's gather. It is easy if you want to travel around, but most tourists take a petit taxi. The grand taxi's make a lot of noise and if you have a room on the side of the boulevard than it is very noisy. The rooms on the boulevardside are big, but you will not get much sleep or rest. The rooms at the back of the hotel are quiet but very small.

The rooms are rather old and not cosy at all. Beds are not that comfortabel.

I had half board, but diner was poor, not much choice and poor quality. Breakfast was ok, but also not much choice.

Staff was friendly, but not very professional.

For me it was rather a Moroccan two star than three star.

The hotel has no garden or swimming pool, so you can not sit outside.

You have free wifi access at the reception area.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled solo

Travellers are raving about these Rabat hotels

Verona, Italia
Reviewed 2 September 2009

I can't say it was absolutely dirty, but the rooms facing the street were very noisy (the window didn't close properly). At the beginning they gave us a room facing a court, but the A/C didn't work and so, after a lot of time in which they tried to repaired it, they changed us the room.
However there was a lot of noise from other rooms because the walls are thin as paper. So we dind't sleep at all.
The staff is very rude: I asked for an extra towel and they answered me that they didn't give an extra one. At the restaurant they don't speak English or French, they pretend to understand and give you at random.
The following morning we were very happy to leave this "hotel"
So, please, avoid it!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lauram109
Glen Ellyn, Illinois
Reviewed 26 March 2007

My family and I stayed at the Bouregreg for about 6 nights in February, 2007. We are a family of five so we had to stay in two rooms. Overall, it's a good hotel but has some weak spots. The hotel is located on the busy Ave Hassan II right across from the madina qadima, Rabat's old city. Also, right outside the hotel is where the grand taxis stop. Access to the old city is great and rooms facing the street have nice views of the walls and the madina. However, street side rooms, while they are the largest, are very noisy. Interior rooms are quiet but small. The rooms and bathrooms were very clean. Water tended to be hot early in the morning and lukewarm after that. The staff were very friendly and helpful and the breakfast was decent. For muslim travelers, the hotel is very convenient to the mosques in the old city. The adhan can be heard from the rooms. However, the hotel does have a small nightclub that serves alcohol. Overall our stay at the Bouregreg was a positive experience and I would recommend it if you don't mind street noise.

• Liked — location and frienly staff
  • Disliked — street noise
  • Stayed February 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
10 Thank Robert B
Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 November 2006

I had a very good sized room with a very nice en-suite bathroom.

The atmosphere outside at night was great- lots of market stalls selling food.

• Liked — The room
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed October 2006