Kenzi Solazur(Tangier)
Dar Jameel(Tangier)(Great Value!)
US$62
US$59
Savings alert! 16% below average rates

The price you found is 16% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$70/night.

Dar El Kasbah(Tangier)(Great Value!)
US$45
  • Restaurant
Savings alert! 25% below average rates

The price you found is 25% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$60/night.

Dar Nour(Tangier)
US$98
US$73
US$304
US$267
US$222
US$226
All reviewsfrench ownerroof terraceonly stayed one nightthe ground floorgillesheartmedinatlctangermorocco
Reviewed April 23, 2016

I stayed in the Riad Arous Chamel for 3 nights and the highlight was the tasty breakfast on the rooftop terrace every morning.
The location quite central in the medina and you're everywhere in no time. The rooms all have windows to the inside of the building which is very nice since it blocks out a lot of the noise from the streets. The rooftop terrace is among the highest points in the surrounding medina and you have a wonderful view over the whole medina from there.
Every morning I met the french owner of the place, Jilles, there and we had a nice chat. He and the housekeeping staff were very kind and helpful all the time.
But be aware for the rest of the staff, I wouldn't trust them a bit. They try to give you tips and places to go to but you always end up in some cousins place with horrible tourist prices. I only asked for a place to have a small dinner in and I was let to a restaurant with full blown tourist menus for 15€ which was quite expensive for tanger. Needless to say I left as soon as my "guide" was out of sight to a small place I found earlier with fair prices, excellent food and nice staff. Also a taxi to Chefchaouen would cost 120€ according to him, I found a private driver over the internet for 80€ which was perfect. He also arranged a taxi on my last day to bring me to the harbour. It was a grand taxi which shouldn't be used in the city, instead you normally take a petit taxi which would cost you about 10 dirham at most. At the harbour the driver asked for 100 dirham for a trip of 2-3km, a total ripoff but I was so fed up at this point that I just didn't care since I saw europe at the horizon already.

To sum it up: I can really recommend the hotel, breakfast and the location but be VERY aware of the staff since they try their best to trick you and rip you off at any time.

• Stayed: April 2016, travelled solo
2  Thank alexdnomad
Reviewed April 3, 2016 via mobile

It's hard to be too hard on this place as Tangier is quite simply 'rough' it's not a pretty town - so this place in the Medina is rough around the edges but from what I've seen in Tangier it's as good as you are going to get for the price . The guys are helpful and eager to please and the accommodation is simple but clean and well priced . We only stayed one night but if I HAD to go to tangier again I think I would stay here . The riad itself is obviously very old and without a total refurb these guys are doing in my option the very best they can with what they have , it does need more of a woman's touch here & there but I give them full marks for trying . Tangier I'm afraid is a different story ........ Don't go to Tangier if you are a foodie or a clean freak

Stayed: April 2016
Reviewed March 7, 2016

Listing states shuttle avail for an extra fee of 150 MAD. Booked reservation through Expedia with this Riad for the shuttle service as we could not utilize taxis (due to my daughter's situation). Called for shuttle, Riad said they don't have a shuttle and can't come get us. Advised us to take taxi. After a couple phone calls and speaking with a manager, they said they don't have shuttle or a driver available. Working with Expedia, the Expedia team called 5 times over 4 days (at various different times of the day) and they said only a manager can help, but there are no managers available. BE AWARE!!!!

• Stayed: February 2016, travelled with family
kamara31, Propriétaire at Riad Arous Chamel, responded to this reviewResponded March 8, 2016

Hi
Thank's for your review but you don't speak about the riad but only about airport transfert
sorry but we are a guest house with 7 room and we don't have a free shuttle only we can manage airport transfert with a taxi who work with us
On the airport you have a board with the taxis price and our price 150dhs is the correct price
We never write on expedia web site that we offer a free shuttle

Reviewed February 14, 2016

The good: this is a very very beautiful riad, perfectly decorated, with a great roof terrace

The bad: as others have said, there is an issue with damp, but that didn't bother us - it's next to the sea, after all. Our bed sheets didn't seem to be clean (there were some stains on the sheets and a couple of hairs on the pillow) but everything else was spotless

The ugly: we arrived in the evening and the manager who received us wasn't very friendly. But the worst thing was that we were constantly hassled by some friends of his, a couple of teenage boys who hung around outside the riad waiting for us to leave, and then tried to pressure us into going to various restaurants and shops (where presumably they would get a commission). Even when we said no they followed us through the streets trying to convince us to go with them, which was intimidating and annoying. When we asked the manager for a restaurant recommendation he just told us to go with the boys, which we didn't want to do. We weren't in Tangier for very long and this kind of ruined the experience for us. It's a shame because the riad is so beautiful, and some of the staff were really nice. The owner of the riad, when we met him, was also friendly and helpful. But unfortunately I don't think we would stay here again because of this experience

• Stayed: February 2016, travelled as a couple
2  Thank wherenext65
Reviewed February 5, 2016 via mobile

Nice location in the Medina
Interesting riad BUT the room was very HUMID. The walls had humidity stain and a heavy smell. Not healty for my wife and we had to leave after just 1 hour. We changed to another Riad super clean and healty. The owner of the Arous Chamel just said "Tanger in the winter is humid and nobody got sick in his Riad". We live in a city with the sea, humid and zero problems.

Clean is a word not for everyone.

Stayed: January 2016, travelled as a couple