All reviews small flight of stairs private bathroom french owner beautiful roof terrace only stayed one night call to prayer moroccan style the ground floor gilles heart medina tlc tanger morocco
Reviewed April 19, 2017

I stayed at the Riad with two friends. We had two rooms. I had a double on-suite at the ground floor. It was beautifully decorated with nice tails in the bathroom. The hotel was easy to find and within walking distance from the harbor. I would not recommend getting a taxi, as the streets are so narrow that they will never be able to drive you to the door or even close anyway. It is only a ten minute walk from the FRS or Intershipping harbor. The halls and rooms are beautifully restored and one gets an authentic feeling for this having been an old Moroccan mansion. Right outside the door is one of the main shopping streets particularly if you are into Moroccan kilims. Follow this shopping street and you will get to the main market or turn to one of the side streets and get up to the beautifully Kasbah area. The views from the roof top of the riad are beautiful. The breakfast we were served was wonderful: fresh fruits, croissants, Moroccan "pancakes", freshly squeezed orange juice, marmalades etc. We only stayed one night, but our impressions were that the owner is a service minded and nice man and the other staff were nice as well. We felt safe after dark in the streets around the hotel when looking for restaurants, people were friendly and helpful. At day time all the streets seems to be full of so called touts who wants to show you around or lead you to one of the tourist restaurants that have higher prices. I would definitely not mind staying at Riad Arous Chamel a next if I get the opportunity to get to Tanger again.

• Stayed: April 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank ErikaGohde
Reviewed November 5, 2016

we stayed for 5 nights in this place. the riad is rather small but very beautiful and cosy with simple and tasty decoration
the location is perfectly situated in the medina and very close to the kasbah
the combination quality - price combined with charm, location and excellent service is really a perfect deal `
Very friendly and smiling service
Breakfast on the terrace is a perfect start of the day

some points for improvement
- our room had an external but private bathroom which was perfect as such
the bathtub should be refurbished
- on some days there was this nasty odour in the house coming from the sewerage this was may be not a problem for the house but more from the public sewerage system
in that case it would be good to put perfumed candles or incense
- a last comment : and I really want to be careful and respectful and I do not want to harm or comment anybody on his religion or bring him into problems with his job because of that.
I am in a muslim country and I do fully respect the muslim religion . The multiple muezzin call for prayer is a part of the culture and I like it.
The only annoying thing has been that at the first morning muezzin there was a member of the personnel taking care of the night service, who participated in the prayers. And this prayers and songs were done very loudly and the echo went through the whole Riad and was waking up all people. So no problem with the prayer of course but the early morning prayer could be one a bit more silently

Room Tip: all rooms are similar and all are best location - on the lower levels you have less stairs
  • Stayed: October 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed April 23, 2016

I stayed in the Riad Arous Chamel for 3 nights and the highlight was the tasty breakfast on the rooftop terrace every morning.
The location quite central in the medina and you're everywhere in no time. The rooms all have windows to the inside of the building which is very nice since it blocks out a lot of the noise from the streets. The rooftop terrace is among the highest points in the surrounding medina and you have a wonderful view over the whole medina from there.
Every morning I met the french owner of the place, Jilles, there and we had a nice chat. He and the housekeeping staff were very kind and helpful all the time.
But be aware for the rest of the staff, I wouldn't trust them a bit. They try to give you tips and places to go to but you always end up in some cousins place with horrible tourist prices. I only asked for a place to have a small dinner in and I was let to a restaurant with full blown tourist menus for 15€ which was quite expensive for tanger. Needless to say I left as soon as my "guide" was out of sight to a small place I found earlier with fair prices, excellent food and nice staff. Also a taxi to Chefchaouen would cost 120€ according to him, I found a private driver over the internet for 80€ which was perfect. He also arranged a taxi on my last day to bring me to the harbour. It was a grand taxi which shouldn't be used in the city, instead you normally take a petit taxi which would cost you about 10 dirham at most. At the harbour the driver asked for 100 dirham for a trip of 2-3km, a total ripoff but I was so fed up at this point that I just didn't care since I saw europe at the horizon already.

To sum it up: I can really recommend the hotel, breakfast and the location but be VERY aware of the staff since they try their best to trick you and rip you off at any time.

• Stayed: April 2016, travelled solo
2  Thank alexdnomad
Reviewed April 3, 2016 via mobile

It's hard to be too hard on this place as Tangier is quite simply 'rough' it's not a pretty town - so this place in the Medina is rough around the edges but from what I've seen in Tangier it's as good as you are going to get for the price . The guys are helpful and eager to please and the accommodation is simple but clean and well priced . We only stayed one night but if I HAD to go to tangier again I think I would stay here . The riad itself is obviously very old and without a total refurb these guys are doing in my option the very best they can with what they have , it does need more of a woman's touch here & there but I give them full marks for trying . Tangier I'm afraid is a different story ........ Don't go to Tangier if you are a foodie or a clean freak

Stayed: April 2016
Reviewed March 7, 2016

Listing states shuttle avail for an extra fee of 150 MAD. Booked reservation through Expedia with this Riad for the shuttle service as we could not utilize taxis (due to my daughter's situation). Called for shuttle, Riad said they don't have a shuttle and can't come get us. Advised us to take taxi. After a couple phone calls and speaking with a manager, they said they don't have shuttle or a driver available. Working with Expedia, the Expedia team called 5 times over 4 days (at various different times of the day) and they said only a manager can help, but there are no managers available. BE AWARE!!!!

• Stayed: February 2016, travelled with family
kamara31, Propriétaire at Riad Arous Chamel, responded to this reviewResponded March 8, 2016

Hi
Thank's for your review but you don't speak about the riad but only about airport transfert
sorry but we are a guest house with 7 room and we don't have a free shuttle only we can manage airport transfert with a taxi who work with us
On the airport you have a board with the taxis price and our price 150dhs is the correct price
We never write on expedia web site that we offer a free shuttle