All reviews small flight of stairs private bathroom french owner beautiful roof terrace only stayed one night call to prayer moroccan style the ground floor gilles heart medina tlc tanger morocco
Reviewed July 16, 2017 via mobile

This is the worst place that I've ever stayed at. It should be listed as a hostel. The riad is in the worst location. You get dropped off in the middle of a market and have to make your way through a labyrinth of streets. I would think that you could arrange for someone from the riad to meet you at the top of the street, but I'm sure that would be asking too much. A man appeared after I was dropped off and said he was family with the owner and took me to the riad. Of course he had nothing to do with the riad, but how would I know that. Then the staff at the riad said I should pay him.

The staff that I dealt with seemed to be very dishonest and lazy. When I arrived, the guy at the desk said he needed to make keys for my room. I'm not sure why this wasn't taken care of prior to my arrival; I had a reservation and arrived after 17:00. I waited in the courtyard and noticed a piece of paper, out in the open, with my name and room along with two others.

As for the room, the aircon barely worked. I asked the staff if it was working. He laughed with one of his friends, said of course, and continued what he was doing. The bed linen was stained. The toilet was dirty with yellow stains and had hair on the back of the seat. The shower drain filled up with water and went down 10 minutes after the shower. The room door was a shutter that I could barely fit through. It didn't lock properly and I was able to pull it open after I locked it.

I would think they would discourage the hustlers and "unofficial" tour guides from knocking on the door, but they seem to welcome it. The staff doesn't give any advice or assistance. I asked how much a taxi to the train station should cost and he said he didn't know. I overheard another guest asking the cost for a taxi to the airport, he replied with the same answer.

This was a slap in the face rather than a welcome to Morocco. I wouldn't recommend this riad to a dog.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled solo
2  Thank Robert X
Reviewed June 5, 2017

My partner and I booked Riad Arous Chamel as we were looking for authentic Moroccan accommodation in the heart of the Medina. The Riad is a beautiful old building furnished in a traditional style set around a central courtyard, our room was one of the smaller rooms and although compact was comfortable and had everything we needed for our two night stay. The bathroom was separate to our bedroom down a small flight of stairs (although allocated for our sole use), this was the only disappointment , being very basic and lacking a bit of TLC. However, the roof terrace was lovely, with views over the city and across the harbour, the breakfast was served up on the terrace, and was delicious, plentiful and served with a smile. We met the French owner each morning, who took to the trouble to introduce himself and come over to talk to us and make us feel welcome. Initially I was a little worried about the Riad's location, the medina is like a labyrinth and a little claustrophobic in places, however, we soon got our bearings and had no issues, finding the local people to be in the main very helpful and friendly. The upper part of the Medina is beautiful, with all the walls painted a brilliant blue and covered in murals, I also loved where the medina opened out to the Kasbah with its pretty white buildings and views across the Atlantic. We also found a great little restaurant at the bottom end of the medina called Rif Kebdani, serving very tasty traditional food, at good prices with very pleasant and obliging staff. All in all we thoroughly enjoyed our stay, the Riad is a peaceful, cool haven from the hustle and bustle outside. Tangiers,does take you out of your comfort zone but isn't that the whole point of visiting new places - listening to the call to prayer from the roof terrace at night is something we will remember for a long time.

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed April 19, 2017

I stayed at the Riad with two friends. We had two rooms. I had a double on-suite at the ground floor. It was beautifully decorated with nice tails in the bathroom. The hotel was easy to find and within walking distance from the harbor. I would not recommend getting a taxi, as the streets are so narrow that they will never be able to drive you to the door or even close anyway. It is only a ten minute walk from the FRS or Intershipping harbor. The halls and rooms are beautifully restored and one gets an authentic feeling for this having been an old Moroccan mansion. Right outside the door is one of the main shopping streets particularly if you are into Moroccan kilims. Follow this shopping street and you will get to the main market or turn to one of the side streets and get up to the beautifully Kasbah area. The views from the roof top of the riad are beautiful. The breakfast we were served was wonderful: fresh fruits, croissants, Moroccan "pancakes", freshly squeezed orange juice, marmalades etc. We only stayed one night, but our impressions were that the owner is a service minded and nice man and the other staff were nice as well. We felt safe after dark in the streets around the hotel when looking for restaurants, people were friendly and helpful. At day time all the streets seems to be full of so called touts who wants to show you around or lead you to one of the tourist restaurants that have higher prices. I would definitely not mind staying at Riad Arous Chamel a next if I get the opportunity to get to Tanger again.

• Stayed: April 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank ErikaGohde
Reviewed November 5, 2016

we stayed for 5 nights in this place. the riad is rather small but very beautiful and cosy with simple and tasty decoration
the location is perfectly situated in the medina and very close to the kasbah
the combination quality - price combined with charm, location and excellent service is really a perfect deal `
Very friendly and smiling service
Breakfast on the terrace is a perfect start of the day

some points for improvement
- our room had an external but private bathroom which was perfect as such
the bathtub should be refurbished
- on some days there was this nasty odour in the house coming from the sewerage this was may be not a problem for the house but more from the public sewerage system
in that case it would be good to put perfumed candles or incense
- a last comment : and I really want to be careful and respectful and I do not want to harm or comment anybody on his religion or bring him into problems with his job because of that.
I am in a muslim country and I do fully respect the muslim religion . The multiple muezzin call for prayer is a part of the culture and I like it.
The only annoying thing has been that at the first morning muezzin there was a member of the personnel taking care of the night service, who participated in the prayers. And this prayers and songs were done very loudly and the echo went through the whole Riad and was waking up all people. So no problem with the prayer of course but the early morning prayer could be one a bit more silently

Room Tip: all rooms are similar and all are best location - on the lower levels you have less stairs
  • Stayed: October 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed April 23, 2016

I stayed in the Riad Arous Chamel for 3 nights and the highlight was the tasty breakfast on the rooftop terrace every morning.
The location quite central in the medina and you're everywhere in no time. The rooms all have windows to the inside of the building which is very nice since it blocks out a lot of the noise from the streets. The rooftop terrace is among the highest points in the surrounding medina and you have a wonderful view over the whole medina from there.
Every morning I met the french owner of the place, Jilles, there and we had a nice chat. He and the housekeeping staff were very kind and helpful all the time.
But be aware for the rest of the staff, I wouldn't trust them a bit. They try to give you tips and places to go to but you always end up in some cousins place with horrible tourist prices. I only asked for a place to have a small dinner in and I was let to a restaurant with full blown tourist menus for 15€ which was quite expensive for tanger. Needless to say I left as soon as my "guide" was out of sight to a small place I found earlier with fair prices, excellent food and nice staff. Also a taxi to Chefchaouen would cost 120€ according to him, I found a private driver over the internet for 80€ which was perfect. He also arranged a taxi on my last day to bring me to the harbour. It was a grand taxi which shouldn't be used in the city, instead you normally take a petit taxi which would cost you about 10 dirham at most. At the harbour the driver asked for 100 dirham for a trip of 2-3km, a total ripoff but I was so fed up at this point that I just didn't care since I saw europe at the horizon already.

To sum it up: I can really recommend the hotel, breakfast and the location but be VERY aware of the staff since they try their best to trick you and rip you off at any time.

• Stayed: April 2016, travelled solo