“South Africa and Kruger”
Review of South Africa

Map
Satellite
Map updates are paused. Zoom in to see updated info.
Reset zoom
Updating Map...
London
3 helpful votes
“South Africa and Kruger”
Reviewed April 19, 2009

I recently travelled to South Africa with a group of 8 family members aged 12 to 83. It was the first experience for all of us and the first customized trip we had ever been on. Was it ever GREAT! It was a bit of whirlwhind. We were gone 16 days (from Canada) and stayed in 7 different accomodations and visited 4 countries. (South Africa, Botswana, Zambia and Zimbabwe). I would highly recommend this type of trip to anyone. We booked through Wild Journeys (www.wild-journeys.com) and they made sure everything went like clockwork.
Cape Town was beautiful. Kruger park was amazing. We hadn't been in the park 5 minutes and we saw Giraffe and Rhino. It was like being in Jurassic park! We stayed in the park for a few days and moved to different camps. Our guide stayed with us the entire time. He made sure we had the best wildlife experience possible, pointed our birds and fauna and even made us a light breakfast each morning. As we were a small group, the guide was able to tailor the trip minute by minute so we saw lots of game. We also went for a short time to a reserve in Sabi Sands which was amazing and allowed us to get up close and personal with the animals. We came home with over 5000 photos between us. The Kruger portion was great though because you felt like more a participant and could be the one to make the great sighting.
Victoria Falls was amazing. Make sure you visit both the Zambia and Zimbabwe sides. The changing visa fee was a little annoying but the time on the Zimbabwe side was fantastic. I've never been on such a jam-packed trip but I really felt like I had a mental break better than any other, and we all agree it was the trip of a lifetime. Logistics and accomodation all exceeded expectations. Take good binoculars, very little luggage, and good sunscreen. Don't bother with books to read - you won't have time. Custom tours rock - make sure you trust the tour organizer to do their job and don't try and micromanage them. Anybody know of a group that does the same thing in Egypt?

3 Thank Leopardlunch
Exeter, UK
80 helpful votes
“Helpful travel agents”
Reviewed November 3, 2008

When my wife and I toured South Africa in 2008 we used the services of go2africa from Cape Town. They handled two tours, hotel booking and an internal flight, co-ordinating at every stage with us and keeping us in the picture by regular email. They didn't try to sell expensive packages once we made it clear that this was a budget trip. We would use their services again if the need arose.

Plus: efficiency, clarity, recommended for anyone who wants to piece together an itinerary in SA from the other side of the world

Minor minus: emails to me (married male) from the (female) agent handling our booking which began "Dearest David"

4 Thank matforddavid

Been to South Africa? Share your experiences!