“Close to an oasis in busy Dar!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Swiss Garden Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Dar es Salaam
Swiss Garden Hotel
Ranked #51 of 103 Hotels in Dar es Salaam
Simrishamn, Sweden
“Close to an oasis in busy Dar!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2012

Stayed there for nearly a week and can just say the hotel was spotless. The prices can be discussed as they are a little high considering the overall standard - but if want to preserving this hotel I am happy to pay for it as well. In dar you have a plethora of alternatives regarding accomodation - from simple hostels to super-lux high-end resorts, From 20US per night to 250US -and thats a real difference, isnt it! This hotel is in the range of around 100US, which many of the areas's hotels are, but there are something special about this place. It pose a special charm and somehting close to cosyness. I was told, it since its opening has been looked upon as an oasis in busy Dar, and sure it still is, even though Dar has become as busy as you are having construction sites on two sides of the hotel compound! Thats a real pity indeed because somewhere along the road it takes away some ot the hotel's core since the sound which appears from time to time from the construction. And really, i did not care much either about it - i was to busy Working. overall, the hotel has everything a hotel should and i strongly recomend it to as many persons as possible. Its a pearl to preserv!!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank Hannesofsweden

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Dublin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2011

The room rates are just okay compared to other hotels in Dar,This is a nice basic hotel; clean rooms, with safe, fridge, AC, fan, free wifi and a computer you can use in the reception area for a fee. They do a nice breakfast of eggs, fresh homemade bread, cheese, pancakes, good yoghurt, fresh fruit, fresh fruit juice.

Room Tip: Rooms number 07,08.12A are quieter
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
5 Thank TansaniaDublin
Barcelona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2011

This is a nice basic hotel; clean rooms, with safe, fridge, AC, fan, free wifi and a computer you can use in the reception area for a fee. They do a nice breakfast of eggs, fresh homemade bread, cheese, pancakes, good yoghurt, fresh fruit, fresh fruit juice. They make dinner too but you need to let them know earlier in the day. The breakfast and dinner are served at a group table which is a nice way to meet other people. The wine was good too. The only problem is the construction next door (not their construction) which starts at 8am and ends at 6pm all days apart from Sunday.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank AndyFranc
Suffolk, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2011

This is the fifth time that I've stayed here, so that's something -- I am here for a week or two at a time. It's spotlessly clean, friendly, a green oasis, and great to come back to after a heavy day. Breakfast (and by now I've done it 30+ times) starts with fresh fruit and some home-squeezed juice. There's cheese, home-made bread, jam, peanut butter, coffee, cereal, tea, and they will make you an egg or omlette as well.
The construction next door was bad one night -- the Chinese construction crew was pouring concrete, and it's too hot during the day (for the concrete) but I didn't need earplugs -- just turned the airco and the fan up to drown it out. The other nights were quiet.
Beds have nets. I usually have them wash a few things, but I avoid travelling with anything that needs special care.
My only complaint this time was the internet (free wireless, normally), but which this time was very on-again off-again. I'm going to send an email to them about this, because I really rely on it. I'm sure they'll do something about it.
Dinner (tell them in the morning) is as described: soup, veg, bbq meat and fish, rice, and a desert of fresh fruit.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
4 Thank Ozne1990
Cambridge, MA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2011

We'd read great reviews of this hotel and were looking for a small, quiet setting for our stay in Dar. As soon as we arrived in the charming garden setting, and entered our cute, and spotlessly clean room, it seemed to be everything we were looking for! Except it ended up being anything BUT charming.

First, there is a massive building being constructed literally next door, and the workers were pounding away all day and at all hours of the morning. The staff mentioned nothing about this, except there was a tiny note from the manager apologizing for the inconvenience. I couldn't even concentrate on reading a book for 10 minutes .

Secondly, and worst of all, was the service. The people working at the desk were extremely terse and downright unhelpful. We asked them basic questions about where we could find a craft market, and the response was "I don't know." We pointed to one in our guide book, and we asked if it was open that day - still, the response was "I don't know." We asked for a map, and we were told they didn't have one. Completely useless! To make matters worse, we had been staying there to attend a friend's wedding, and asked the laundry service there to steam press our dress/suit/tuxedo for us, which were already clean, but had gotten wrinkled in our suitcases. They ended up WASHING the tuxedo in water and ruining it....THE DAY OF THE WEDDING!!! Not only did they deny having washed it and thus absolving themselves from any sort of responsibility, but they then had the nerve to put the laundering fee on our room bill - as if having a ruined $800 tuxedo the day of the wedding wasn't bad enough!!!!

Ugh. Simply awful service. We were were glad to have checked out early and would not recommend it to anyone based on the horrid service we received.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mazzoo

Travellers are raving about these Dar es Salaam hotels

Berlin, Germany
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 November 2010

We spent one night at the Swiss Garden Hotel on the way to Zansibar.
The rooms and the hotel/garden area were clean without any frills.

The breakfast doesn't deserve the name breakfast. Only plain toast but no fresh fruit, bread spreats, eggs or anything like that were offered. Not the kind of start in a new day one would want.

Giving the fact, that we paid 98$, we cannot recommand the place. Especially, as there is a large construction site right behind the hotel. The night was over at 6am.

Also, the pickup service from the airport arranged by the hotel is absolutely overpriced (25$). If you arrive at daytime, get your own cab and don't pay more than 20.000TZH.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
Annapolis, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2010

As far as I am concerned, I would not stay anywhere else in Dar Es Salaam - why bother when you have the Swiss Garden Hotel?

After a long trip through India, this place was a haven to me. It was extremely clean, had reliable though slightly slow internet service, and the dinner was very good. It was $75 per night for my room which in Dar is not so bad. Tanzania is not as cheap as some parts of Africa, after all. Dinner was probably another $15 and usually included grilled beef tenderloin, fish, chicken and a good buffet of freshly cooked side dishes to choose from. Note that if you don't have your own computer, you can use the one in the lobby for a small fee. If you don't have an ethernet cable for your laptop, they'll lend you one for free. Breakfast is included and it's decent. The dinner area does have a lot of mosquitos, unfortunately, and I recommend repellent and long pants/long sleeves for supper (they really should buy some kind of bug zapper). They have a generator for any power outages and they use it appropriately.

The beds are clean and comfortable enough, with mosquito nets. There are extra blankets and the rooms have A/C. The bathroom looked newly renovated and was nice, with water pressure in the middle range. The people they recommend for taxi service are all polite and reliable. There was some construction going on at the property next door, unfortunately, so earplugs were necessary for a good night's sleep. It's off of United Nations way in a quiet place, not in the exact center of town, but it's close enough by cab to whatever you need.

The real kicker for me, though, was the service. I came back to this hotel after a stay in Zanzibar where I became very ill with some stomach bug. I was dehydrated and was so sick I could not keep water in my stomach. I asked the SGH staff which clinic I could go to at 9:30 at night, and they sent me to the Aga Khan private hospital with the manager's son and his friend to ensure that I was okay. The young men filled out the paperwork at the hospital, handled the errands to the pharmacy and the pay-as-you-go billing, and stayed there with me for three hours while I had an IV drip. It was well past midnight when I was released, and the manager's son went out into the night and found us a cab back to the hotel. They were caring and concerned the whole time and refused to take a tip or any money from me that day or the next.

Good people run this hotel.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled solo