All reviewsbeautiful courtyardfour poster bedcolonial stylelovely oasisocean roadsmall poolsmall hotelindian dishesair conditioningrestaurant offersclean roomsquiet areabusiness tripfresh fruitinternet accessbreakfast buffetrestaurant staff
Reviewed August 15, 2018

I stayed in this hotel for 18 nights on business, and am very happy with my stay. The hotel staff - from the associates at reception to the kitchen staff to the housekeeping staff - are exceptionally friendly and helpful. I loved that the bathroom in my room was brightly lit (so I could accurately do my makeup) and well-ventilated. The bed is very comfortable, the wifi is fast and dependable. The outdoor dining area is BEAUTIFUL, and the restaurant food is great as well (please order the garlic naan)!

My only complaint, and it is quite minor: (1) my room was not well lit... because I was in town on business and needed to do work at my desk, this wasn't ideal. But I could see the lighting being ideal for a couple on vacation, for example.

Stayed: July 2018
DinishAntony, Group General Manager - Protea Hotels by Marriott (Dsm/Znz) at Protea Hotel Dar es Salaam Courtyard, responded to this reviewResponded 5 days ago

Dear Sarah A

Thank you for staying with us and taking time to post this great review. I am delighted that you had a great stay and the STAFF ensured your comfort. We look forward to host you again soon. Asante sana, karibu tena!

Reviewed August 13, 2018

Clean room, comfy beds, good channel selection on TV, powerful shower, bottled water provided each day. Restaurant does great Indian food as well as other cuisines (fish and chips were great!). Pool area is lovely and has tables you can work at, although wear buy spray!! Breakfast was really great, lots of fresh fruit and avocado. You can order eggs, pancakes too. Waiting staff were always very nice and helpful, reception staff could be a bit friendlier. Gym was well equipped.

• Stayed: July 2018, travelled solo

Dear Louise L

Thank you for staying with us and taking time to post this candid review. I am delighted that you had a great stay and the STAFF ensured your comfort. I have duly noted your comment about the reception STAFF and apologise for the same. GUESTS usually compliment about their efficiency and friendliness, sorry that you did not feel so, I am sure it was not intentional. We look forward to host you again soon. Asante sana, karibu tena!

Reviewed August 11, 2018 via mobile

We stayed few nights in this hotel, that we appreciated for the good breakfast, comfort and courtesy of the staff. It takes some time for the room to be cooled as AC is linked with the wall-key and it is a bit noisy. We had good rest as we had a long trip . The last day there was pest control, so not the best during a stay, but we understand it is necessary

Stayed: August 2018, travelled on business

Dear Egix2013

Thank you for staying with us and taking time to post this review. I am glad to hear that you had a great stay apart from the AC and fumigation on the last day. Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconveniences caused. We look forward to host you again.

Reviewed August 9, 2018 via mobile

Protea was very responsive over email when I needed to book a conference and hotel room, and let me handle the payment from the States so that I didn’t have to put a business expense on my personal card once I was there and could use a colleague’s corporate card.

The rooms themselves are fine—the A/C works, the WiFi and hot water works, etc. The bed feels like someone made a bed-shaped concrete block and put sheets on it to trick you into thinking it’s a bed. Someone came into my room at dusk and sprayed “for bugs,” which I hope means mosquitoes. The pool is cute and it’s nice to sit outside and have a meal at the restaurant. I wasn’t overly impressed with my dinner or the breakfast and lunch buffets, but I managed to find something to eat and quality buffets are hard to find.

The conference rooms don’t have all the necessary items to hold a conference and I had to test the tech the night before and the morning of because various things weren’t working (they don’t provide an HDMI to USB dongle, and I failed to bring one, but they made it work and let me borrow a laptop. Their laptop had an illegal version of Word, so one of the activities where we live-edited a document was impossible because you could open, but not edit or copy, a document). One of the A/C units in the room didn’t work so everyone was sweating. A photographer randomly came into the room to take photos and later sold them with the Protea Hotel logo at the bottom for $5/a pop—but we weren’t warned and he didn’t ask permission. NONE of the 10 markers in the room worked for longer than a word, so I couldn’t take notes on the provided (and paid extra for) notes sheets at the front of the room without switching markers every three seconds.

The hotel was great about arranging an airport transfer and eventually righted an overcharge for more nights than I had booked that my jet lagged and exhausted self didn’t catch the mistake of at check-in. Although, there was quite a bit of push-back and I had to see the manager and wait for like 20 minutes to do so, and even he just kept offering to switch my room when the issue was that I was leaving the country and couldn’t stay in any room in Tanzania so didn’t want to be charged for it...

I wouldn’t have a conference here again, but I might stay here as a guest again if other options were booked or they were significantly cheaper.

Stayed: August 2018, travelled on business
DinishAntony, Group General Manager - Protea Hotels by Marriott ( Dsm/Znz) at Protea Hotel Dar es Salaam Courtyard, responded to this reviewResponded August 12, 2018

Dear Rachel C

Thank you for staying with us and taking time to post this review packed with constructive criticisms. We thank you for the compliments and appreciate you highlighting areas where we can improve. We have addressed some of the issues you mentioned and are working on others. We apologise sincerely for the inconveniences caused and hope that you will allow us to host you again and offer a 100% satisfactory experience.

Reviewed August 1, 2018

The moderate size of the hotel and its colonial period courtyard overlooking the swimming pool and outdoor dining area made for a most pleasant stay for me and family. We stayed in a lovely, spacious room that was always kept clean and comfortable by staff. Meals were outstanding--a massive array of foods at a buffet breakfast and an extraordinary choice of dishes for lunch and dinner. An excellent staff responded immediately to any requests. We had an extremely pleasant stay at Protea.

Room Tip: If you need a large room, ask if the Chamber, a spacious room, is available.
  • Stayed: July 2018, travelled with family