All reviews sunset walk local maasai masai guide ngorongoro crater one night guided walk rocky outcrop africa travel shifting sands watch the sunset evening sunset masai village charge devices maasai warrior relaxing stay unique setting beautiful sunset
Reviewed April 19, 2015

We stayed here as part of our safari arranged by Expedology Safaris. The lodge was so unique and the views were amazing! This was also the camp we stayed at when we completed our Big 5. We got a rare opportunity on our off road game drive to see a huge male leopard. We also saw a few cheetas as well. It was a great two days on our march across Tanzania.

Date of stay: March 2015
Reviewed April 10, 2015 via mobile

When first told that I would be sleeping in a tent in the Serengeti I thought to myself "that's not going to happen" - as I am not really one to like to share my room with "critters".

So imagine my surprise when pulling into this spectacular place and now saying that I want to come back over and over and - yes - sleep in those tents !!

Located in some sort of massive rock formation standing in the middle of the African plains, the "camp" has a wonderful bar, restaurant, common areas including an outstanding perch at the top of the rock where you can enjoy a view second to none of the surroundings and sunset and sunrise (if like me you are up that early).

There are more luxurious camps in the region, but none that I have stayed to have such a location and opportunity to do a walking safari along a gorge where all types of animals frequent, and a staff so proud that they literally give you the clothes if this backs.

Great great stay.

Date of stay: April 2015
Reviewed April 2, 2015

Olduvai Camp was amazing – we had such a great experience there! We loved the sunset walk with our Masai guide and they even set up a special honeymoon dinner for us! We also got a lovely bottle of wine in our room - so welcoming, thoughtful, and wonderful!

We made lots of new friends with the people we dined with every morning and evening, and the entire atmosphere was very convivial and fun. The bar is open-air - so much fun to sit and relax in the evenings with a big glass of Tusker exchanging stories with other travelers.

We took a walk to the Masai village - it took about 3.5 hours. It was interesting, but felt a little like we were intruding on people's lives. Still, they were very welcoming and it was really interesting to see how they lived.

Our tent was so great - in the morning, we could see giraffes crossing the plain in front of our tent from bed! We couldn't have asked for a better place to spend a few days. We'd like to thank the staff of Olduvai for giving us such a special experience!

1  Thank Sara H
Reviewed March 3, 2015

I don't know how else to put it. It was almost surreal, having these tented lodges in the middle of the safari. We used Olduvai Camp when we booked our Expedology Safaris trip to the Ngorongoro Crater. The combination of the this camp (resort?) and safari was eye-opening. It was my first and one of my fondest memories. I'm hooked and hope to go back soon!

Date of stay: February 2015
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Wesley C
Reviewed March 1, 2015

Only reason I did not give 5 stars is that the beds and the food were not quite up to the level of the other camps at which we stayed. On the other hand, the prices at Olduvai Camp were quite a bit less. The setting and the interaction with the local Maasai guides is magical, mystical, inspirational, spiritual. Hope to come back. Won't ever forget our two days here. Ask for Kitende as your Maasai guide. We bonded so strongly with him - he became a friend and mentor.

Dave