Review Highlights

Peaceful Worship Place

Reviewed February 17, 2017
Tassaduqhussain51
Multan, Pakistan

All reviews stone town narrow streets twin spires mass community built marseille
Reviewed June 18, 2018

beautiful church. simple ceremony, and seems like a very warm uncomplicated community. I do beleive i have found my church while in Stone town. It felt like home.

Reviewed May 14, 2018

The church is located in midst of stone town mazes, with an ambiance of an old Arabic culture, friendly neighborhood, just scenic for day time photography.

1  Thank mwasapi
Reviewed December 29, 2017

This catholic cathedral is tucked away down the labyrinth of narrow streets in Stone Town. It is difficult to find but worth visiting. It is magnificent and was built by the French by the same architects who built Marseilles Notre Dame Basilica. The twin spires tower over the Zanzibar skyline
Well worth seeing

Reviewed February 17, 2017

St. Joseph’s Cathedral is a Roman Catholic Church in the Baghani area of Stone Town in Carhedral Street. It is an important historical building which was built by French missionaries between 1893 and 1898. Its twin spires are similar to those of Marseille’s church. The cathedral interior is painted with murals from the Old Testament, many of which have deteriorated over time. The cathedral is in regular use by the Catholic community of Stone Town.

1  Thank Tassaduqhussain51
Reviewed December 9, 2016

St Joseph's Cathedral Church is a historic attraction in the heart of Stone Town. The narrow streets are lined by rows of shops selling artifacts, textiles, paintings,jewelry, fruits. I was surprised that many people do not know of this church. There were no visitors except us. The Saxon made it a point that we make a donation before he opened the door. The interior of the church is beautiful and well maintained. There is need for further renovation as the structure is old. A place for a silent prayer and to observe the beautiful glass panels and statues. I could also meet the Vicar of the Cathedral and interact with him. More people should see this attraction which is a historic place located right in the heart of the town.

Reviewed May 7, 2016

I attended the 9am mass, which is in Kiswahili. The unexpected part is that the mass took two hours; it seemed this is the normal routine, so if you are going to the 9am, plan for that. But staying the full two hours is so worth it, because they have an AMAZING choir! This is the first time I've heard a church using hymns in an African language and style but accompanied by an organ, and it's fantastic. I run the music program for my parish in Kinshasa, so this was a very special treat for me. I had to pull out my iPhone and record some of the music to share with family at home.

If you're looking for an English mass, I'd guess the 7am is a good bet. When I arrived at 8:30, there were several Indian families and a couple other ethnicities milling around who had attended the earlier service. Don't know anything about the 4:30pm mass.

2  Thank ColleenSreya
Reviewed June 2, 2015 via mobile

This was a beautiful old church, unfortunately we were not able to go inside. The exterior was very pretty and the history related to us by the guide was fascinating.

Reviewed November 2, 2014

The mass times on Sunday for this church are:
1) 7:00am
2) 9:00am
3) 4:30pm

The mass at 9:00am (which I attended) was conducted in Kiswahili. Not sure about the other times.

20  Thank SRI P
Reviewed August 21, 2013

We were wondering around Stone Town and stumbled across St. Joseph's Church. It took us a bit to find the entrance since the regular front entrench was locked, but once we figured out how to get in - it was great! We walked around the grounds and eventually went into the church where there was a wedding taking place! What an experience to get to see the ceremony with an amazing choir!

Reviewed May 23, 2013

This is an area abundant in religious monuments and buildings. Over 50 mosques and many Christian churches and Hindu temples. This cathedral would be the best choice to see as a building representative of the Christian faith in this area.

1  Thank David V