“Beautiful cathedral and mass”

More attraction details
Owner description: This 1987 Romanesque cathedral’s stately spires can be seen from the sea as you approach Stone Town.
Reviewed May 7, 2016

I attended the 9am mass, which is in Kiswahili. The unexpected part is that the mass took two hours; it seemed this is the normal routine, so if you are going to the 9am, plan for that. But staying the full two hours is so worth it, because they have an AMAZING choir! This is the first time I've heard a church using hymns in an African language and style but accompanied by an organ, and it's fantastic. I run the music program for my parish in Kinshasa, so this was a very special treat for me. I had to pull out my iPhone and record some of the music to share with family at home.

If you're looking for an English mass, I'd guess the 7am is a good bet. When I arrived at 8:30, there were several Indian families and a couple other ethnicities milling around who had attended the earlier service. Don't know anything about the 4:30pm mass.

Date of experience: May 2016
"sunday mass"
"community"
"marseille"

Reviewed June 2, 2015 via mobile

This was a beautiful old church, unfortunately we were not able to go inside. The exterior was very pretty and the history related to us by the guide was fascinating.

Date of experience: June 2015
Reviewed November 2, 2014

The mass times on Sunday for this church are:
1) 7:00am
2) 9:00am
3) 4:30pm

The mass at 9:00am (which I attended) was conducted in Kiswahili. Not sure about the other times.

Date of experience: November 2014
21  Thank SRI P
Reviewed August 21, 2013

We were wondering around Stone Town and stumbled across St. Joseph's Church. It took us a bit to find the entrance since the regular front entrench was locked, but once we figured out how to get in - it was great! We walked around the grounds and eventually went into the church where there was a wedding taking place! What an experience to get to see the ceremony with an amazing choir!

Date of experience: July 2013