“Charged twice and still waiting.....”

Ramada Resort Accra Coco Beach
Ranked #67 of 91 Hotels in Accra
Sydney, Australia
“Charged twice and still waiting.....”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2011

I have a lot to say about this hotel. I booked and paid through Hotels.com and then was made to pay again at this hotel.
I will be adding to this review when my refund comes through!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: Do not even think about the staying in those little hut things outside.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ASmileCostsNil

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
  • Korean first
Lyons, Colorado
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2011

During our two day stay, the hotel ran out of water by 7 am each morning, and remained out all day. This means not only could we not get late showers, it meant no toilet flushing. On the second day we asked for buckets of water so we could flush the toilet. After we asked 3 times with no response, my husband got very angry and loud, and they finally provided a bucket of water.

Besides that, the shower was broken. The general layout was odd, with a tiny step down to the bathroom that was easy to trip on, and slick tiles on the floor. Power went out once (probably not their fault). I asked about internet access, and was told it cost $30 per hour. The food was okay if you chose carefully (pizza was great). Do not order the "Shrimps Cocktail". In a stemmed glass, it was a tiny amount of lettuce covered with a two-inch thick pink whipped-cream like stuff that must have been mayonnaise. There were a few tiny boiled tasteless shrimp in there somewhere, but it was so disgusting I couldn't eat it.

We did like the buffet breakfast that came with the room.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank Patty F

Travellers are raving about these Accra hotels

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2011

The location of this hotel is ideal for those who need to chill out after the hectic nature of Accra city centre. The grounds of the hotel appear to be well tended, and there is access to the beach: it feels like an oasis of calm in that madhouse of a city.

The hotel confirmed my email request for a reservation, which marked it from its contemporaries as having basic customer service skills. Rosina and Ellen were lovely. I requested a room close to the sea, and was given the lovely chalet 426, just yards from the beach, but completely safe (it's walled off, plus there's a security guard permanently stationed close by).

The room itself was much better than I expected - great air conditioning, crisp white sheets, flat screen TV and lots of channels. Breakfast was quite an interesting affair - a mishmash of Western and African cooking, but, in my opinion, without a clear identity. It would have been nice to see more Ghanaian elements in this resort. I fear that the drive towards Europeanisation has led to something of a lack of identity. Anyway, breakfast was buffet style, but with lots of waiters hanging about so I got a little confused about what to do/what to let them do. I served myself, in the end. The butter deserves special mention - it was sliced, on beds of ice, so you served yourself a slice or two (which rapidly softened in the Ghanaian humidity). Not bad, but perhaps little sachets would be less messy.

The hotel was fantastic in helping me obtain a hired car and negotiate a good price. Despite being off shift, Ellen (or Rosina, I've forgotten whom - sorry!) contacted me when I returned that evening to provide me with the car details for the following day. The hotel was also brilliant at connecting me with a guide, David, who not only drove me all the way to the Aflao (Togo) border (and back!), but helped me navigate the maze of immigration, policemen and customs officers encountered along the way. Ghanaians in my experience are kind and helpful people, but this went above and beyond as I was given a history of towns and villages we travelled through. The hotel deserves special mention for helping to make that happen.

I believe in constructive feedback so I must also mention aspects that could be improved on within the hotel.

I had to ask for extra toilet paper as they were a touch on the conservative side. The wardrobe in the room was huge, but the drawers had fallen through and could not be used. The duvet seemed to have been thrown atop the wardrobe, and I wasn't sure if it was clean enough to be used - I ended up going without. It would be helpful if it was neatly folded and placed inside the wardrobe so guests know it's for their use.

The sink stop in the bathroom kept stopping up the sink completely, and the little knob adjusting it wouldn't work, which was a little annoying. Also, the shower in the bath came to a maximum shoulder height (and I'm only 5ft 6) - taller people would have had to stoop ridiculously just to have a shower. I was also not sure whether the window in the bathroom (which was at chest level when standing in the bath) was see through or not. I ended up draping a towel over it just in case.

I posted a Do Not Disturb sign on my door, but when I returned one evening, it was obvious that housekeeping had gone in. To be fair, they helped remove the annoying sink block and provided new towels, but it would be nice if one's wishes were adhered to.

In terms of food, I would recommend sticking to Ghanaian dishes - I say this based on an oversalted fried shrimp dish. Ghanaians know their cuisine well, so stick to the path well trodden, I'd say. Also, the bar never seems to have any change - should be an easy fix for an annoying issue raised by several guests.

Lastly, the number of waiters/stewards in the indoor restaurant is baffling. I realise there should be an effort to provide individual service, but when I found myself surrounded by no fewer than 4 stewards on my last morning, all asking if I wanted tea or coffee, I had to admit it was a little much. Also, and it pains me somewhat to say this, there was a hint of overfamiliarity by the male staff. It's nice when people take an interest in your trip/visit, but on my last morning I had my shoulder grabbed by a waiter/steward (he wanted my attention for some inane request around football). Thankfully, a simple cold stare corrected that and I had no problems afterwards. It would just be nice to remind the staff to refrain from overfamiliarity with all guests, Caucasian or African (as in my case).

I guess the theme of this review is the excellent customer service mostly by the female staff who seem to go above and beyond the call of duty. The hotel itself could do with some modernising - it wouldn't do to rest on its laurels and accept good reviews as reasons for stagnancy. Hopefully they will continue to improve.

Room Tip: Be nice and smile nicely with the front desk
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank RhoLondon
Horsham, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2011

We trusted previous reviews on trip adviser on this hotel. Wish we hadn't! T.V was broken, they didn't fix it until I complained on 5 occasions, the website advertised in room hair dryer, so I didn't take one, when I asked about the hair dryer, they said there are no hair dryers! The advertised "beautiful"Coco beach is filthy, if you walked on it you literately were walking on sewage and rubbish. The website advertised a Gym, the Gym was closed and we were never informed of this when booking. The staff were rude, extremely complaisant and some what smug when talking in their language in front of you. We took a cab everyday to enjoy another hotel pool because the Ramada pool was shabby and tired. Can't believe that a repeatable name like Ramada would put their name to this hotel. Actually considering contacting trading standards on this one as it it totally advertising facilities that don't exist!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank rarelycomment
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2011

We did not regret staying in the hotel, from the pick up the driver was very polite and nice. The receptionist Ellen was really nice and were welcoming. she even gave us a line which we used for the duration of our stay. All rooms have wifi access. The food is good. The pool was also really cool. Breakfast was good and it was changed everyday. We got a complimentary massage and the staffs were also very nice.The view from the chalet of the beach was really good. Sarah and Rosina were also very helpful whenever u requested for help. One of the guys at the bar named Stone was also very nice. If i do accra again i will definately stay there.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank kym2011
Akranes, Iceland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2010

First time in Africa, such an experience in Accra while staying here. Honestly, we were a bit worried because it is quite far from the center but the hotel has the bus service and felt very safe. Depending on traffic - 30 minutes to 1 hour from Kotoko International Airport.

Hoever this hotel did help us and offer not a bad deal at all. The hotel was a small but pleasant hotel, with average rooms.
The fact i dont like as the 'double bed' room contains 2 single beds pushed next to each other.

Apart from that, the staff welcomed us with all their hearts and always show their happiness and make us feel very safe. Bottom line is we like it very much

• Stayed August 2010
2 Thank Hallsimon
UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2010

I stayed in the Ramada Coco Beach recently with a group of 20 sixth form students from the UK. It was the best place we stayed in Ghana by some distance - very good rooms, nice pool, food was very good (great pizzas!), staff were very attentive and friendly. Great beach location although the beach is not safe at night. Building work mentioned in earlier reviews seems to have been completed. Even had a big screen to watch World Cup matches!

Stayed June 2010