“What do you want to see ?”

Ramada Resort Accra Coco Beach
Ranked #69 of 92 Hotels in Accra
Lagos, Lagos, Nigeria
“What do you want to see ?”
Reviewed 5 January 2012

My family and I arrived the Ramada from Lagos at 03;00hrs ! We were dead tired after the time consuming drive ( I drove ! ) and only wanted to flop into our beds.

I've titled my review "What do you want to see " because, as with life, it all depends on your perception, outlook and experiences, If you wish to see it as a wonderful place to stay ( which we did ) then you will.......but at the same time if you wish to see it as a place with multiple flaws and nit pick every detail....then you'll see it as such too !

The reception of the hotel wasn't too inviting nor did the infrastructure look too pleasing either at that time of the morning ! The front office staff were alert and were most helpful in offloading all our luggage.....we don't travel light !....from our vehicle.

Our room was good, the air conditioning worked well and the kids were happy.

In the morning my perception of the Ramada changed for the better.....We could now see the place in daylight and it seemed far more appealing. We had a buffet breakfast, which was an event in itself, in a thatch roofed restaurant with an ocean-view. The food was good..please try the passion fruit juice, we all couldn't get enough of it !

The Ramada also served a buffet dinner, which to our delight, we found was free ! We looked forward to every visit to the restaurant.

There was a Christmas party for children with enough activities to keep our children busy and a live band on Boxing Day.....altogether, with the swimming pool, interesting things to do that kept us from going out.

The Ramada staff are a credit to their organization.....I forgot my bag at the breakfast table with our passports and cash....silly me !....and the staff kept it for me in a safe place until i came in to collect it. It could have been much worse as i've been to hotels where you would never see that bag again.

All in all we have a very pleasant stay and were kind of sad to leave. Value for money wise the Ramada is excellent.....our room, with the extra bed for the kids was $175/night.....we've stayed in $500/night hotels in Accra and the cost differential is not justifiable considering what the Ramada offers you.

Our family will surely be back.....a visit to the beautiful restaurant is enough reason.....when next we're in Ghana !

A word of note....The Ramada is far from the city center and with Accra traffic you could spent upwards of 1 hour getting to the main city. I don't believe that this is a location for a business traveler, unless, of course, your business is in this locale.

As a family destination it is an ideal place to unwind with your kids...or if you're a couple/alone, a good place to rest and relax by the ocean.

Hope this helps my fellow travelers !

Room Tip: Always take a room in the new block. We had a friend arrive before us who stayed in the chalets and...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank eriksbmw

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
  • Korean first
San Diego, California
Reviewed 9 December 2011

The Ramada at Coco Beach in Ghana has nice staff who try hard. Our flight was late which is not that unusual for Accra. While we were late our hotel pickup was even later so we did not get to the hotel until 230am. The rooms were waiting for us but in one room we had requested a rollaway which was not there and no amoint of conversation at that hour of the morning got us one.
We had called days earlier about one of the executive cottages to see if it could sleep two seperately with some privacy and we were told yes. Not even close. It is a cute enough room to stay in but the rooms in the high rise are larger and better for non-related traveling companions just wanting to share the cost of the room.

The resturant staff work hard as well but lack a certain attention to detail. The quality of the food is very inconsistant, especially the breakfast. The oven baked pizza is excellent if it is delivered on time. But twice it came very late and hard been sitting on a warmer until it was dry and crunchy. Again, inconsistant.

I might stay there again if i had too but it would not be my first choice.

Room Tip: Get a room in the high rise, do not bother with the executive cottages.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
atlanta
Reviewed 25 November 2011

We were a little nervous about former reviews, but decided to give it a go with our group of 11. We stayed for 2 nights and enjoyed it. The hotel property is gorgeous. The hotel did not seem like it had that many guests and that was fine with us. The pool was excellent, breakfast was better than any other hotels we stayed at during our trip and the rooms were very nice. The buffet dinner, in which we paid $25 per person, was overpriced and there was not a lot of food, but I guess they made up for it at breakfast which had everything from fruit to oatmeal to pancakes. The property is located on a wonderful private beach which we basically had to ourselves--you can't swim there, but it's excellent to watch the sun come up. The pool was great and security is excellent. The only downfall is that it is about 30 minutes from central accra, so once you are in, you're in. You also have to go through a little town which seemed out of place, but once you get on the property --through gates, all is well and there is 24 hour security walking the grounds. Sarah was our manager and she was an excellent hostess. We would stay again and recommend it highly. Business center was good as well, but our WIFI on our IPads did not work in our room--the only downfall.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank 30plusclassics
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 24 October 2011

I have a lot to say about this hotel. I booked and paid through Hotels.com and then was made to pay again at this hotel.
I will be adding to this review when my refund comes through!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: Do not even think about the staying in those little hut things outside.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ASmileCostsNil

Travellers are raving about these Accra hotels

Lyons, Colorado
Reviewed 5 October 2011

During our two day stay, the hotel ran out of water by 7 am each morning, and remained out all day. This means not only could we not get late showers, it meant no toilet flushing. On the second day we asked for buckets of water so we could flush the toilet. After we asked 3 times with no response, my husband got very angry and loud, and they finally provided a bucket of water.

Besides that, the shower was broken. The general layout was odd, with a tiny step down to the bathroom that was easy to trip on, and slick tiles on the floor. Power went out once (probably not their fault). I asked about internet access, and was told it cost $30 per hour. The food was okay if you chose carefully (pizza was great). Do not order the "Shrimps Cocktail". In a stemmed glass, it was a tiny amount of lettuce covered with a two-inch thick pink whipped-cream like stuff that must have been mayonnaise. There were a few tiny boiled tasteless shrimp in there somewhere, but it was so disgusting I couldn't eat it.

We did like the buffet breakfast that came with the room.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank Patty F
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 May 2011

The location of this hotel is ideal for those who need to chill out after the hectic nature of Accra city centre. The grounds of the hotel appear to be well tended, and there is access to the beach: it feels like an oasis of calm in that madhouse of a city.

The hotel confirmed my email request for a reservation, which marked it from its contemporaries as having basic customer service skills. Rosina and Ellen were lovely. I requested a room close to the sea, and was given the lovely chalet 426, just yards from the beach, but completely safe (it's walled off, plus there's a security guard permanently stationed close by).

The room itself was much better than I expected - great air conditioning, crisp white sheets, flat screen TV and lots of channels. Breakfast was quite an interesting affair - a mishmash of Western and African cooking, but, in my opinion, without a clear identity. It would have been nice to see more Ghanaian elements in this resort. I fear that the drive towards Europeanisation has led to something of a lack of identity. Anyway, breakfast was buffet style, but with lots of waiters hanging about so I got a little confused about what to do/what to let them do. I served myself, in the end. The butter deserves special mention - it was sliced, on beds of ice, so you served yourself a slice or two (which rapidly softened in the Ghanaian humidity). Not bad, but perhaps little sachets would be less messy.

The hotel was fantastic in helping me obtain a hired car and negotiate a good price. Despite being off shift, Ellen (or Rosina, I've forgotten whom - sorry!) contacted me when I returned that evening to provide me with the car details for the following day. The hotel was also brilliant at connecting me with a guide, David, who not only drove me all the way to the Aflao (Togo) border (and back!), but helped me navigate the maze of immigration, policemen and customs officers encountered along the way. Ghanaians in my experience are kind and helpful people, but this went above and beyond as I was given a history of towns and villages we travelled through. The hotel deserves special mention for helping to make that happen.

I believe in constructive feedback so I must also mention aspects that could be improved on within the hotel.

I had to ask for extra toilet paper as they were a touch on the conservative side. The wardrobe in the room was huge, but the drawers had fallen through and could not be used. The duvet seemed to have been thrown atop the wardrobe, and I wasn't sure if it was clean enough to be used - I ended up going without. It would be helpful if it was neatly folded and placed inside the wardrobe so guests know it's for their use.

The sink stop in the bathroom kept stopping up the sink completely, and the little knob adjusting it wouldn't work, which was a little annoying. Also, the shower in the bath came to a maximum shoulder height (and I'm only 5ft 6) - taller people would have had to stoop ridiculously just to have a shower. I was also not sure whether the window in the bathroom (which was at chest level when standing in the bath) was see through or not. I ended up draping a towel over it just in case.

I posted a Do Not Disturb sign on my door, but when I returned one evening, it was obvious that housekeeping had gone in. To be fair, they helped remove the annoying sink block and provided new towels, but it would be nice if one's wishes were adhered to.

In terms of food, I would recommend sticking to Ghanaian dishes - I say this based on an oversalted fried shrimp dish. Ghanaians know their cuisine well, so stick to the path well trodden, I'd say. Also, the bar never seems to have any change - should be an easy fix for an annoying issue raised by several guests.

Lastly, the number of waiters/stewards in the indoor restaurant is baffling. I realise there should be an effort to provide individual service, but when I found myself surrounded by no fewer than 4 stewards on my last morning, all asking if I wanted tea or coffee, I had to admit it was a little much. Also, and it pains me somewhat to say this, there was a hint of overfamiliarity by the male staff. It's nice when people take an interest in your trip/visit, but on my last morning I had my shoulder grabbed by a waiter/steward (he wanted my attention for some inane request around football). Thankfully, a simple cold stare corrected that and I had no problems afterwards. It would just be nice to remind the staff to refrain from overfamiliarity with all guests, Caucasian or African (as in my case).

I guess the theme of this review is the excellent customer service mostly by the female staff who seem to go above and beyond the call of duty. The hotel itself could do with some modernising - it wouldn't do to rest on its laurels and accept good reviews as reasons for stagnancy. Hopefully they will continue to improve.

Room Tip: Be nice and smile nicely with the front desk
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank RhoLondon
Horsham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 March 2011

We trusted previous reviews on trip adviser on this hotel. Wish we hadn't! T.V was broken, they didn't fix it until I complained on 5 occasions, the website advertised in room hair dryer, so I didn't take one, when I asked about the hair dryer, they said there are no hair dryers! The advertised "beautiful"Coco beach is filthy, if you walked on it you literately were walking on sewage and rubbish. The website advertised a Gym, the Gym was closed and we were never informed of this when booking. The staff were rude, extremely complaisant and some what smug when talking in their language in front of you. We took a cab everyday to enjoy another hotel pool because the Ramada pool was shabby and tired. Can't believe that a repeatable name like Ramada would put their name to this hotel. Actually considering contacting trading standards on this one as it it totally advertising facilities that don't exist!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple