“Lilongwe on the up”

Ranked #4 of 82 Restaurants in Lilongwe
Cuisines: Healthy, Cafe
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Situated at The Gable End complex, Lark offers a range of salads, wraps, sandwiches and burgers, (and a weekly specials board) all with a healthy twist! Childrens menu available, as are milkshakes, home made iced teas, fresh juices, coolers and delicious coffees - including "Red" coffees. The only supplier in Lilongwe of Satemwa Tea Estate's fusion teas! Childrens playground on site too!
Reviewed February 26, 2017

It is great to see places like Lark Cafe in Malawi. It is also nice when a good establishment invests to improve itself. I had a fantastic haloumi and avo sandwich with a guilty pleasure of a brownie for dessert. Both were very enjoyable.

The atmosphere was friendly and welcoming while the decor reminded me of sometime I spent in Cape Town. I look forward to making this a "must" on my future trips down from the North.

1  Thank Mzuzu_MD

Reviewed February 21, 2017 via mobile

A lovely cafe situated in area 43. Jean is an amazing chef and I particularly love the soy chicken wraps it's a beautiful Cape Dutch inspired coffee shop with plenty of flair. The waiters are excellent, something that is very rare to find in Malawi. Highly recommended.

Trysh H, Owner at Lark Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded February 22, 2017

Thank you so much for that very heart warming review! Im so happy you enjoyed it x

Reviewed February 18, 2017 via mobile

Nice place, good ambience , nice playground, very Good light meals. A good place to lunch in family espacial with small kids

Reviewed February 16, 2017 via mobile

I find my self at great restraint writing this review, or better a review of a review, any one who's been to lark can honestly say that the court yard area is by far any persons definition of a prison yard..... and if so then it must be in a country where stupidity is the crime......

Reviewed February 15, 2017 via mobile

The food is delicious and the new location is cute, but under construction, so it's not at it's best shape

BUT!!!

The waiters serve others at a quicker, faster pace than I've ever received. And when I mean others, I mean caucasians(WHITES).

I am Malawian and I have to wait for about 15minutes before a waiter notices or even attends to me. I then wait for a whole hour to receive a sweet soy chicken wrap that I ordered at 12:00pm and it's 12:55pm and coincidentally the white men that came thirty minutes after me, received their meals. I honestly believed that with the change of location, this cafe would have more than improved its service, because right now I feel this place profiles blacks. It is certainly not the first time I've received this type of treatment from Lark, it always happens and that's why I refuse to dine and rather just pick up a takeaway. I am beyond disappointed, I've never felt so disappointed in my life.

And I was literally the only black person customer .

Shame

Trysh H, Owner at Lark Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded February 16, 2017

Honestly Judith .. I am shocked at the level you have taking this 'issue' - (first on our Facebook page, then to our company email, and now on Tripadviser - surely just one of these would have been sufficient? To publicly slur us and make false accusations regarding racism is of great concern.

The caucasian person who you allege was served before you had actually ordered before you and had been sitting in the courtyard - he then moved to the other side so you wrongly assumed he had only just arrived and ordered. We have showed your facebook post to all our staff, who have confirmed that the caucasians had ordered before you. As I'm sure you noticed, all our waiters and staff are black Malawians, so accusing them of being racist towards other Malawians is incomprehensible and we have certainly never instructed them to prioritise white customers over black customers - it certainly appears that if there is any racial issue here, it lies on your side. not ours.

All management were present at Lark yesterday and we feel that if you had such a strong complaint it would have been far more appropriate to come and speak to one of us instead of writing such a damaging public complaint on Facebook. We have many black person customers every day at Lark who seem to enjoy their time with us, and have never shown any feelings of being racially discriminated against.

As I have already mentioned this was our second day of opening and we had many stumbling blocks, which everyone else has been so understanding and supportive about.

You have taken this issue totally out of context and have made hurtful and false accusations. It has insulted all our staff and our integrity and we are 'beyond disappointed'.