“Its only a 3 star guest house, so dont expect much”
Review of Residencial Halima

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Maputo
Residencial Halima
Ranked #30 of 41 Maputo B&B and Inns
Pretoria, South Africa
“Its only a 3 star guest house, so dont expect much”
Reviewed 6 November 2010

Keep your expectations low. This is a family run guest house at around 60USD a night not a 4 star hotel.
It’s a little basic and suffers from mosquitoes but it’s clean and has everything you need, Including free wireless.
The women of the house (and they are all women so women travelers may feel more secure there) are all very friendly and helpful (But perhaps not the most efficient)
Breakfast is good and a good location up a cul de sac and close-ish to the diplomatic, development agencies and UN offices.
Be certain to follow up on bookings and other instructions.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank Dtruth

Families
Couples
Knoxville, TN
Reviewed 10 August 2010

I will start by saying I have never written a review before but feel that I am not helping other travelers avoid the problems that Residencial Halima caused me if I didn't write one now. I live in the US and I am not too hard to please, hence why I have not written a review before. I was traveling in Mozambique with a group of 15 and had been trying to make my reservations with Halima through email but was not having very good results or prompt responses (should have been my first hint of a problem). As the time for my departure approached, I decided to call instead. I asked politely if anyone spoke English and the girl who answered said she did. I made reservations for 7 rooms with private baths and was told the total would be $490 USD. I asked if I needed to put down some kind of deposit and she said no. I asked her name and wrote down her name and the date and time I talked to her. I also asked if they could arrange transportation from the airport if I needed it- she said yes. I called back the next day and told her I would not need transportation but just the 7 rooms and asked again if I needed to leave a deposit. I left the US three days later. When we arrived 10 days later, after dark (about 6 PM) with 15 weary travelers, the girl and the desk looked at me wide-eyed and said she didn't have any rooms. I explained I had reservations and told her who I had talked to and the date and time (the problem became clear when she opened up the 'reservation book' and all that was there were 5-6 crumpled hand written sheets). I finally discovered that this was the girl I had spoken to on the phone and she said I should have 'called again'. I am not sure how many times she expected me to confirm a reservation but I figured 3 emails and two phone calls was MORE that sufficient. We asked her to call around and find us another place to stay but soon discovered that there was a conference going on in Maputo and there were no rooms available in our price range. They finally rudely offered to let us stay there and showed me the rooms we could have for $400 USD- 4 rooms instead of 7 one of which was a storage room and three people sleeping on the floor AND 5 people not having a bathroom with a shower or tub- just a sink and toilet! She knew we could not travel that night to where we were going because it was not safe and she also knew there were no other places for us to stay and that this was their fault but still would not lower the price below $400. They also did not have enough towels. We had just spent time in the bush at a village and were looking forward to showers but had to share towels between 3-4 people (these were not family members) and try to take a 'showers' in a sink. The only thing I can say good about this place is that the breakfast was good the next morning. DO NOT TRY THIS PLACE!!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with friends
3 Thank AngieCKnoxville

Travellers are raving about these Maputo hotels

Maputo, Mozambique
Reviewed 24 April 2010

We stayed in this guesthouse for more than 1 month during March-April 2010. My husband had tried out other guesthouses in Maputo but found this guesthouse far superior. The guesthouse is situated in a calm area of Maputo, at the far end of a dead-end street. During the week one hears the children of the nearby school cheering and singing, which we found pleasant rather than disturbing. The guesthouse is family-owned and all members of the extended family pass through the house sooner or later.The price-quality ratio is very good. Because of our extended stay, we paid 60 USD per night for a double room, including breakfast and laundry. Our room was spacious, had a bathroom with shower and bath en suite, a fridge, a terrace and a split airco-unit as well as a big fan and a good wireless connection. Swimming in the large pool or hanging around in the garden is a real treat during the hottest days. Breakfast is generous and they serve excellent coffee. I had searched the internet before for a guesthouse in Maputo without coming across Residencial Halima and we finely found this guesthouse by word of mouth. We warmly recommend this guesthouse .

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business