See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed May 19, 2016 via mobile

The hotel gave away our confirmed business booking of 4 rooms without informing us. This was done because a large tour group arrived.
They tried to find another hotel for us but it was very sub standard
Completely unacceptable. I will be taking this up with Protea hotel senior management.

Trip type: Travelled on business
1  Thank jeremyBruce
Reviewed May 15, 2016

I'm sure I've said this before, but at a Protea Hotel (80% of them... the other 20% are specialty hotels and quite something to stay at) you can expect a decent stay generally.

I've seen recent reviews of this hotel such as "not Marriott standard" and "old"

First off, Marriott purchased the Protea Hotel Group about 2 years ago... Protea Hotels was originally founded in 1984 (not terribly old) - from what I understand, they purchased old hotels and managed others on the owners behalf.

While the hotels are old, some of them heritage sites (protected from modification of the outside of the building - modification inside is allowed, modernization is allowed)

You'll find, in a Protea Hotel, that while they might not be up to 5/6 star European hotels standards, they are always clean, neat, friendly and modern inside. (probably because this particular hotel is a 3 star)

In my experience... toaster at breakfast works. Breakfast doesn't taste precooked. It's a decent stay and decently priced for Africa (that's not in South Africa)

Reviewed May 2, 2016 via mobile

But such great staff! Zonealina( sp?) was great on the front desk. She helped us in many ways. And Andriano in the bar/ dining room was especially sweet. He took care of us so well. Played bartender, and then served us our meal. Empty hotel- cause of the time of year? The room needs updating, the bathroom is too small. But have nothing to compare this to in Windhoek so far.

Date of stay: May 2016
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed April 26, 2016

I am used to Protea hotels being great stays but this 3 night stay was absolutely disappointing. Room allocated stank of cigarette smoke in a hotel which states it is a non-smoking institution. It was so bad that it was almost impossible to sit in the room let alone sleep in it. I complained twice to the reception and the hotel manager but nothing was done until I checked out. I ended up paying for something that I could not use. Once I checked out, staff descended on the room to attempt to freshen it.

Breakfast was hopeless on the first day - pre-cooked food (Bacon, sausages, etc.) was ice-cold and there was no milk put out. The bread toaster was broken and could only toast on one side only. No improvement on the second day either.

I also facilitated a training course there for two days the first day of which was chaotic with no coffee laid out and too few tables for the delegates to sit at.
Ended up paying for everything with no hint of compensation for poor service, cold food, and smelly rooms. I did receive an apology from Hendrina the conference manager though.

To crown it all, ants or termites have started to build a nest in mud on the one wall !!

I will definitely not use the hotel again unless I have to.

Room tip: Ask to see and smell the rooms first. Do not pay for anything until you have seen the room.
Date of stay: April 2016
3  Thank DennisCom
Reviewed March 29, 2016

Yes, some of the infrastructure is a bit dated as mentioned by other reviewers, but all is tidy, clean and in good working order. In general the hotel offers all you need for a comfortable and convenient business stay. Centrally located. Comfortable bed and sufficient space to sit and work - just replace uncomfortable stool with one of the chairs. Staff were very helpful and friendly. Food in general was good, just missed fresh fruit at breakfast. Will return w/o complaint.

Room tip: East facing rooms probably offer best views but also on a busy freeway (noise wasn't a problem for me).
Date of stay: March 2016