“Nice for drinks!”

La Petite France Restaurant and Rooftop Terrace Bar
Price range: US$12 - US$40
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Reservations
Description: La Petite France prides itself on delivering authentic French cuisine in a refined and elegant setting. The roof terrace wine bar is the place to go for early evening cocktails and a wide ranging winelist. The views across Kampala's golf course are outstanding.
Reviewed April 10, 2012

Nice rooftop patio with an amazing view. very nice appetizers.

Reviewed March 4, 2012

Living in Kampala just got better with the opening of La Petite France Restaurant. We had read about it in Uganda's The Eye Magazine and decided to give it a try on a quiet Sunday afternoon. We started with cocktails under the sails of the rooftop terrace bar (the mango-chilli daiquiri is fabulous) and then proceeded to the open-air dining space with its high thatched roof reminiscent of an up-market safari lodge. The tables were beautifully set, with no detail overlooked. Everything was impeccably clean and absolutely shining. Sunday's a la carte menu is somewhat limited because the outdoor barbeque is in action all day. Nevertheless, there are still many wonderful choices. My husband started with a melon fan flavoured with fresh mint sauce, had the boeuf bourguignon as a main course, and creme brulee for desert. I took advantage of the barbeque and enjoyed an ample piece of tender steak, a chicken fillet, and a pork chop. The steak was probably the nicest beef I've ever had over the years we've been living in and/or visiting Kampala, and it was perfectly cooked. The same can be said of the chicken, which was a delicious white meat fillet, very moist and delicately flavoured with a light touch of barbeque sauce. My meal included a green salad and jacket potato, and my husband's was served with dauphinois potatoes and a very large portion of sauteed fresh vegetables. We ordered a 2006 red wine from Graves, France which went very well with the food and at about $35, didn't break the budget. Our entire meal, including pre-lunch cocktails and tips, came to slightly less than $100. Definitely not cheap, but worth it for the quality of food, professional service, and lovely atmosphere.

1  Thank Wahzah
Reviewed February 19, 2012

Sundy afternoon, after 2 prodigious downpours and some DIY at the house, I was looking for a "good meal". I ordered Steak Tartare, it was delicious, beautifully pre-prepared. I followed with pan fried fillet steak cooked "bleu", amongst the best pieces of steak I have eaten and the Bernaise sauce was near perfect. Beans cooked beautifully, not "sodden", chips were OK but I know how difficult chips are with Ugandan potatoes. Bar waiters attentive, waitress service could be a bit better but overall a really enjoyable afternoon with a great view.

Reviewed January 30, 2012

I really liked this restaurant. It was not too many people there this Wednesday evening, in fact I was the first to arrive. The waiters were eager to please, but also gave room for me enjoying the view and the warmth of the Ugandan evening.

Next time I will try more of the items from the menu. I am looking forward to it!

Reviewed January 13, 2012

La Petite France seemed like the perfect addition to the city's bustle: located on a quiet leafy, lane in the city's upmarket Kololo, I must acknowledge that the ambience in the restaurant is superb. After two visits, this is my only kind remark. Where to begin?

We ordered our steaks 'medium-well' and they came back raw. This would be fine if it was simply an error born out of growing pains, but three other friends had the same problem on different occasions.

The staff literally hovers around one's table; a perfect example is that my ashtray (with one ash in it) was changed after the first puff of my cigarette. The French manager watches his staff like a hawk, to the point that one cringes for them. He, too, was constantly within earshot of my table. Wanting to ensure good service is fine, but this was certainly too much.

Wanting to give the place a second chance, we visited the attached 'wine bar' a couple of weeks later. Disappointingly, only one choice is offered when ordering by the glass. Unless you come in a group and plan to share, one may as well go to the local bar to have the same selection.

We were also disappointed to find the chef engaging with a party who was using profane, vulgar and racist language. When we asked the group to lower their voices, one of the men (drunk, naturally) told us to 'focus on our own conversation'. The staff did nothing and we were shocked to see the chef come out and starting joking with the group!

Finally, the food is overpriced.

Kampala has too many other great options (Mediterraneo and Emin Pasha's Brasserie, for example) to waste your money here.

TobyMaddison, Owner at La Petite France Restaurant and Rooftop Terrace Bar, responded to this reviewResponded January 13, 2012

We are sorry that Discerning D's visits to La Petite France were disappointing. We hope that she will return again for a more enjoyable experience. Kampala is notorious for poor service and our Management Team prides itself on interacting with and providing dedicated and efficient service to all our patrons. We hope that all our guests behave with consideration for others and do not approve in any way with profane or unpleasant language.