“All day dining - breakfast, lunch / brunch on Sunday's and Public Holidays, dinner ... excellent every time”

The Lakes Restaurant
Ranked #23 of 321 Restaurants in Kampala
Cuisines: African
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

During my recent staycation at the Kampala Serena I enjoyed three breakfasts, a brunch and one dinner and the only downside was, as we say in German, Die Qual der Wahl. Plenty of choices both hot and cold dishes, all well prepared and presented and especially on a day when breakfast is followed by brunch, dinner can be skipped as there will be no space to put anything into oneself but perhaps a Jaegermeister.
For those who prefer a glass of bubbly to start the day, that is available too and on the house!
Arguably the best offering is the Friday Seafood Night with prawns, sea fish and lake fish, leaving nothing to be desired.
I highly recommend The Lakes for visitors to the city who want to try eating out because here no one leaves disappointed.
Service by the way was impeccable, plates cleared when signalled and cutlery replaced and every new pot of tea comes with a fresh cup ... Serena for me stands for quality and the best there is in Eastern Africa.

Reviewed 2 November 2017

My latest review focuses on the Sunday Brunch I sampled recently when staying at the hotel on business.
For those who fancy a glass or two of bubbly, one is offered when entering the restaurant and a refill, as observed, is always an option.
Indoor and outdoor sitting gives one a choice of fresh air versus air conditioning, the latter preferable on a hot humid day as that Sunday turned out to be.
There are three places I'd go to for a Sunday lunch, when including the out of the city Lake Victoria Serena four, and the Lakes just has to get the crown as the best, vis a vis food, service and value given the cost of a lunch.
An excellent selection of starters, hot dishes, salads and of course desserts leaves no taste buds un-tickled and this gives the opportunity to sit down, eat one's way through the various dishes on offer - in small quantities I hasten to add - and read a newspaper or book on the side. After all, that is what brunch should be all about, the leisurely advance from breakfast into lunch and beyond.
Juices are available from the buffet though soft drinks, beers and wine are added to the final bill.
Commencing at noon did I spend a good 2 1/2 hours eating my way through the food selection before duty called again.
Next on my horizon will be the seafood night which takes place every Friday and which may just see me take a trip into the city when I am back in country for the festive season.
Given how often I eat in fancy hotel restaurants during my travels, the Lakes ranks in the top 10 percent and that should tell the story.

Reviewed 11 October 2017

Great cuisine and excellent service. This was an outstanding dining experience. Very high standard. Seafood was perfect. Highly recommended.

Reviewed 19 July 2017

The lakes is always well set, with an extensive menu. The food is well cooked and well presented. Good choice

Reviewed 6 June 2017

The breakfast buffet is truly excellent with a huge range of choices. There are fresh juices of all sorts, foods from all around the world, and very attentive staff. I personally enjoyed the outdoor seating option that was available.