“Disappointed”

Ranked #28 of 31 Hotels in Lusaka
Johannesburg
“Disappointed”
Reviewed 10 April 2008

The Chrismar Hotel is not a very bad hotel by Zambian standards, but I would certainly rate it below average for these reasons:
1)Cleanliness of reception are: cleanliness of carpet leaves much to be desired
2)Internet: On my first night I bought 24 hour internet access. I was able to do some work on that evening and the following morning. On the second day, I wanted to buy a further 24 hours access. I went to reception at 16h30 and was told that they would send the IT Manager to my room to give me the password and connect me. When he was still not there 1 hour later, I called reception to enquire and was told he would be coming soon. I eventually went down to reception again at 18h00 and was told that he had already gone home. To cut a long story short, we finally agreed that he would assist me the following morning when he comes in at 07h00. 2 hours later, he was still not there. I wrote this review at 10h10 just before checking out (for the last time at this hotel) and I was still not connected to the internet.
3)Room Service: on my first night I ordered room service and left my plate in my room the following morning. When I came back to the room in the afternoon, my plate and those of 2 other rooms were lying in the corridor. When I went to bed at 20h30, the plates had still not been removed. I notice this morning that someone removed them….but left a few chicken bones on the floor.
4)Airconditioning: The aircon in my room turns on, but does not emit any cold air. In the 2 nights here, I turn it down to 18 degrees and leave it on through the night but still sweat at night.

For these reasons I have looked around and found some very nice Guest Lodges costing much less than the Chrismar Hotel. I will be staying in them the next time I’m in Lusaka.

• Disliked — general poor service (internet, room service, cleanliness)
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Alexandria, Virginia
Reviewed 18 February 2008

I was pleasantly surprised by the accomodations at the Chrismar. The hotel was clean and felt secure. The rooms were spacious and had modern amenities. My only complaint would be that the water presure was very low and flushing and showering took some getting used to. The jacuzzi tub in the room was a nice amenity but as mentioned earlier, the water pressure issue may not have made it worth while. Would not mind staying over again.

Stayed February 2008
Leeds
Reviewed 8 August 2007

Most of our stay at the Chrismar was great - very good value and the rooms off the covered courtyard at the back of the hotel are gorgeous. However, even though we were at the furthest point from the bar, and having asked about noise levels before we booked, the thumping of the live music at the weekend guarantees you won't sleep until the early hours. It's a real shame, as otherwise I would definitely recommend it. Admittedly they did stop the music at midnight on Saturday night rather than 1am after we complained, but a fellow traveller informed me that the night before it went on until much later than 1am. Apart from this, the bar is really nice particularly in the weekday evenings when you get a braai to keep you warm, and the bar/catering/cleaning staff were great. Also it was a shame that the advertised services (e.g. internet cafe and salon) did not exist!

• Liked — Bar
  • Disliked — Noise at night
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank LeedsPipster
Zambia
Reviewed 18 January 2007

Whilst the hotel is brand new and there are obviously teething problems the service was outstanding with friendly and hospitable staff. The rooms are comfortable with really spacious bathrooms. Enjoyable stay.

Stayed December 2006