All reviews boutique hotel home away from home lounge area hot water the hustle and bustle central thamel an oasis location is great rooms are clean internet connection peaceful place small hotel kathmandu guest house no lift deluxe room tourist area agh
Reviewed October 5, 2012

By far and away the best place we stayed in, in Nepal. So friendly, and room superb! HIGHLY recommended. From the welcome, through to the well decorated bedroom - top notch. Gutted they were full on our return to KTM two weeks later.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed September 23, 2012

Familiarity can be quite comforting and reassuring at times. This was my second stay at the AGH having spent 4 nights here 13 months ago. Arriving late in the evening my wife and I were greeted by a warm embrace from Nabin and Prakash, the manager and owner of AGH respectively.

What do I love about the AGH? It's not so much the fact that we had a free upgrade to a super deluxe room, or the memorable dinner that Prakash hosted us to on our second night. The AGH just has that special something which makes you feel completely at ease and at home,

Great staff, lovely interior design touches with the right amount of romance, rustic-ness and quirkiness. A charming courtyard to chow down the delicious breakfasts, with free wi-fi to boot. And all this right in the heart of Thamel. A perfect oasis.

If you are looking for a typical 5 star hotel with its typical facilities, the AGH is not for you. The AGH has only 18 rooms, no elevators, gym or sauna facilities but in my book, staying at the AGH is a 6-star experience. It has that special magic befitting of the best boutique hotels.

And yes, do count on me to be back here again next year.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank KBWong
Reviewed September 20, 2012

I have no idea what a boutique hotel is, but the descripion did seem to fit this place. I really liked it, stayed for three nights, then went trekking then another three nights. The room was lovely, the staff were brilliant and very helpful (especially the breakfast waiter), it just seemed very tranquil before you step out into the madness that is Thamel.
I even booked my trek through the crazy travel guy associated with the hotel, no matter how crazy you think he is, trust him, i got stuck at the airport when my flight got cancelled, and he sorted a change of flight (twice) and change of destination out for me.
Only downside, it was not cheap, there appearred to be cheaper hotels of similar setup in Thamel. It was off season but the prices seemed high season. But I didn't stay at any of the other hotels and I shouldn't gripe too much becasue it really was a great stay.

Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Ean C
Reviewed September 12, 2012

My friends and I stayed 4 nights and we were extremely happy with our choice. A very beautiful boutique hotel with amazing staff. Room comes with wifi access, complimentary fruit and drinks (from bar fridge). Free morning paper as well. Location is right in the heart of Thamel. As electricity cuts are common in Kathmandu, this hotel has their own power generator so you are assured of hot water and electricity 24/7. The day and night managers gave us the feeling of being at home. On our last night, we were given complimentary dinner - Nepali cuisine. It was really an enjoyable stay for us and we will definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: If you are travelling with elderly, request for rooms on level 1 as there is no elevator. The hotel owner has his own travel/ trekking shop which is conveniently located within the hotel premise.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Azhar_Ali11
Reviewed August 31, 2012

Stayed there for 5 nights. Very friendly and helpful staff, very clean, rooms nicely decorated, just not too spacious according to our standards. Great inner yard, breakfast ok. Plus, free fruits, free newspaper in english. No elevator. Best location, right in the heart of the Thamel where all the bars and tourist shops are. Would definately stay there again!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends