“Oasis from the madness”

Ranked #52 of 203 Hotels in Kathmandu
Sunshine Coast
“Oasis from the madness”
Reviewed 6 February 2012

I have just returned from 2 stays at this hotel when arriving in Nepal and again upon returning to the city. It was a fantastic experience both times and a refreshing break from the madness that is Nepal. Both times I was put on the Club floor which was great, i really loved the Lounge, I am an early riser and found relaxing in the lounge with good expresso coffee (pods) my paper and laptop a great start to the day. The room was well appointed and very comfortable, however the bath robe was way too small for the average western build. And wireless was very expensive and slow and only available for 1 device, each device you wanted to connect cost more, so with an iPhone x 2, a laptop and iPad it was ridiculously expensive, I found it easier to get a local sim card and swap it between devices was just as fast and way cheaper.The concierge and security guys who organised taxis etc were a blessing helping with negotiating the language barriers fair prices. The young lady on the Duty Managers desk Sujita Baniya was especially welcoming and very helpful, she greeted me on arrival both times and expedited my check in and check out, and seemed to be on duty whenever I was in the lobby and enquiring if there was anything she could help with, a great ambassador for Crowne Plaza. I dined in the buffet restaurant, the one past the lobby and found the food and selection not very inspiring. On the other hand a night in the Chinese restaurant was first class. All in all after experiencing blackouts, no hot water cold cold rooms when travelling outside Kathmandu the Crowne Plaza was a pleasure to return to, and I am very happy to recommend to any intrepid traveller, and yes I would go back again especially if they could find a bath robe that fitted and packaged the internet more reasonably.

Room Tip: try to get even number rooms on the 5th floor
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
SPradhan, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Kathmandu-Soaltee, responded to this review, 6 February 2012
Dear Trevoz

It was a pleasure having you stay with us during your recent visit to Kathmandu.

The team was overwhelmed to read your kind words of appreciation and we thank you for sharing such inspirational compliments on Trip Advisor.

It has always been our utmost focus to provide our guests with personalized service that meets high standards of hospitality and it is motivation from discerning guests such as you which encourages us to give our best.

We thank you for your recommendation and support and look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back to Crowne Plaza Kathmandu - Soaltee.

Warm Regards,
Front Office Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (174)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Zagreb
Reviewed 5 February 2012

I stayed in Crowne Plaza twice during my trip to Nepal. It is real refreshment in the area, but according to western standard it is just OK.
I was in the two different rooms, the difference was only in having bath or shower. The rooms were comfortable (not so big) and clean. If you have roses in your room as a decoration, there is a big chance that you will have some bugs with them, so don't put any food on the table.
Al Fresco restaurant had a good food, not so satisfied with the China garden. Buffet breakfast has a variety of food, especially of fruits. Once I used a room service, dinner was almost cold.

If you are a priority club member, you are entitled to some extras and you'll be told about it during check-in. This is not a guarantee that it will be delivered to you, even if you complain! If you pay with the points, you must have the paper copy of the reservation.
Wi-Fi exists, but it is really expensive.

The service was OK. The staff is polite, sometimes too aggressively polite.
Hotel area is also OK. You may walk to the Durbar in 20 minutes, nice interesting stroll.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
Dear belpb31

Thank you for sharing your recent experience with us on TripAdvisor.

We have noted your observations and are addressing the same.

We look forward to welcoming you back to experience the warmth and indigenous Nepalese hospitality at Crowne Plaza Kathmandu – Soaltee.

Warm Regards,
Vientiane, Laos
Reviewed 30 January 2012

Stayed in this hotel twice, at the beginning and at the end of our Nepal trip. First we stayed in the old wing, for the second time we were booked into better rooms in the Prince wing. Travelled with 2 children.

Pros:
A nice green and calm area within the chaotic Kathmandu.
Breakfast is good and serves both Asian and Western food.
The "Al'fresco" Italian restaurant is probably the best in the country.

Cons:
Front desk staff needs some refresher training on customer service.
Booked into smoking room despite of non-smoking member preferences, no change on request.
Old wing urgently needs a renovation or at least a thorough cleaning.
New wing noisy and the room vibrating due to proximity to generators.
Cost of internet service is ridiculous high.

Although not bad overall, this hotel does not live up to its brand name and the price level.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
SPradhan, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Kathmandu-Soaltee, responded to this review, 3 February 2012
Dear tghu

Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to provide feedback about your experience.

Your analysis about our property and services made us aware about your satisfaction and dissatisfaction thus providing us a great opportunity to improve our services.

Once again I would like to thank you for your constructive feedback and take this opportunity to invite you back for your next lodging needs and experience the difference.

Kathmandu, Nepal
Reviewed 23 January 2012

I had stayed here to celebrate new year eve and had a blast during my one night stay here. had booked club room with the facility of club lounge with mind blowing treatment of food and wine. room is good with every amenity u r looking for service is just amazing too and vicinity of hotel is just fantastic and iam sure will plan for my next stay here very soon.

Room Tip: book club room to get the excess of club lounge to treat urself with good food and drink of ur desir...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Bhuwannp
SPradhan, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Kathmandu-Soaltee, responded to this review, 1 February 2012
Dear Bhuwannp

Thank you for your thoughtful comments. We appreciate you taking the time to make us aware of your delightful experience during your recent stay.

We are delighted to know that you enjoyed the services and the amenities offered to you as our privileged Club Room guest and our gala New Year Event.

Thank you once again for taking the time to share your experience, and we look forward to welcome you again at Crowne Plaza Hotel Kathmandu - Soaltee on your next visit to Kathmandu, Nepal.

Bangkok
Reviewed 21 January 2012

Let's face it, Kathmandu is not normally a place you would go to looking for some of the finer hotels in Asia. Most are old, badly managed or beset by inefficiency.

The Crowne Plaza is not a new property and I believe it was recently refurbished. The coffee shop now looks a lot nicer than a year ago, and the food is really good. You look forward to getting up early to hit the lavish buffet breakfast.

The service overall is good, with attentive staff easily dispensing 'Namaste' as you pass them. They are helpful when they need to be. However, as with so many hotels in South Asia, their problem-solving skills are below standard and they require plenty of time and patience to do things outside their usual routine. Holding an event here is still a challenge as holding one in all Nepal hotels.

The rooms are nice according to the Crowne Plaza, but no mini-bar, which was a surprise. Otherwise, everything works well., and the room has a very good TV screen and channel selection.

This place is a far from the airport, so allow sufficient time to get there. The area surrounding it is, well, sort of a mess. But this is Kathmandu, where pockets of grandeur exist amongst a sprawling, busy city. I like the Crowne Plaza for a restful stay in Kathmandu. It is one of the better accommodations in the city.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
SPradhan, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Kathmandu-Soaltee, responded to this review, 2 February 2012
Dear Chattan

Thank you for sharing your feedback !

We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay at our hotel and especially enjoyed the food and beverage offerings, ambience and service of our new coffee shop. It is truly rewarding when a guest recognizes our staff’s efforts and takes the time to write about it.

The team at the hotel looks forward to having you back with us and assure you of another great stay and dining experience.

Avon Park, Florida, United States
Reviewed 20 January 2012

Most rude, arrogant, antagonistic desk staff I have ever dealt with. I experienced three arguments with staff. The first regarding extending my stay an extra day. I checked with four different staff members over a period of three days to make sure arrangements had been made. I was told no problem. Not one of them actually did anything. I was called the last day and asked why I was still there, and told I would be charged a higher rate for that day because I had not made arrangements. The second involved the plumber. The toilet in my room would flood to the top, but not flush. He told me that the handle needed to be pushed again when it reached flood stage and then it would work. All the toilets were like that, he said, and acted like I was crazy. I started using the toilet in the lobby, which ironically did not flood. The third involved my last meal; I was part of a group that had arranged for our meals to be provided. I went to the lunch room with other group members. The waiter tried to charge me without telling me, because they considered me no longer part of the group since I stayed an extra day. No need to tell me that, no apologies for misunderstandings. Instead, they yell at me in the lobby "What part of English do you not understand?" A fourth incident involved an unusually high credit card charge I received later for a phone call I had made, but they simply chose not to respond to any of my communications asking for clarification.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
6 Thank Thom64
IHGCare, Guest Relations Case Manager at Crowne Plaza Kathmandu-Soaltee, responded to this review, 24 January 2012
Dear Thom64,

Thank you for your review. We would like to follow up with you on your experiences at the hotel.
I have sent you a private message in an effort to obtain more information about your stay.
I look forward to hearing from you and of being of further assistance,

^Katie J
Case Manager
IHG Care
Kabul, Afghanistan
Reviewed 18 January 2012

This is the best hotel in the region , all services are of top quality.

Room Tip: Rooms on the south side are quieter
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
Dear Habibrahmat

Thank you for spending time to write a review on Tripadvisor.

We are pleased to receive your nice review of our hotel, and your satisfaction with our services.

We hope that if your travels bring you back to Kathmandu, you will give us an opportunity to extend our warm welcome back to Crowne Plaza Hotel Kathamandu - Soaltee.

Warm regards,