“In a quiet central area”
Review of Hotel Tibet

Hotel Tibet
Ranked #41 of 210 Hotels in Kathmandu
Reviewed 18 February 2012

In general I had a decent experience at Hotel Tibet. I stayed there twice at the beginning and end of a Himalayan hiking trip. Similar to another reviewer, I found my first room to be quite cold. But the showers are gloriously hot, which felt amazing after my week of hiking. The front desk staff are generally helpful. The rooms also have satellite TV, which was a comfort when I fell ill and had to stay inside for 2 days. The hotel is also very close to an excellent travel clinic--the CIWEC Travel Clinic, should the need arise. My only complaint is that the cleaning staff repeatedly congregated outside my room on their breaks and spoke quite loudly. When I was trying to recover from the flu, all I wanted was quiet. I spoke to the manager and he was very apologetic. Ultimately I'd much rather stay at Hotel Tibet than in some other more crowded place in the Thamel area. There's also a big grocery store close by for bottled water and snack purchases--another bonus.

Room Tip: If your room is cold, do not hesitate to ask them to change!
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank Travelogue1964

Reviewed 2 February 2012

I was elated with my stay in Hotel Tibet. It is owned and run by a Tibetan family, the ambiance and architectural details were authentic, the food was good and the kitchen was very accommodating to personal needs. It may not be five star but my room was very clean and perfectly comfortable. The showers were great and the Tibetan maids sweet and efficient. In fact, I found the entire staff to be very accommodating. The front desk was always helpful in directing me to Thamel which was a 10 or 15 minute walk and other sites. I loved the atmosphere: the place was full of Tibetan art, furniture, and carpets and the lobby was alive with trekkers on their way to high adventures. I, too, felt that I had spent a week in Tibet. Thank you, Hotel Tibet!

Room Tip: I was on the front side, second floor.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank LushkaNico
Reviewed 11 January 2012

Hotel Tibet looks very nice externally. The rooms however can vary depending whether you are facing front or rear. Rear is bad. The first room we had was clean but cold as the heater didn't work. The second room we had was dirty but warm as he heater did! The showers however are lovely and hot! Service varied. Front desk was bad and restaurant was good. I feel the hotel is too expensive for it's standard and location which is not close enough to anything significant. The outside terrance is great for ambience especially in the evening when the fire is lit.

• Stayed: December 2011
1  Thank GGSINGH
Reviewed 6 January 2012

As you may have read how I left the hotel I have booked in Kathmadu due to unacceptable hygiene and crokcoaches issue earlier....I checked in to Hotel Tibet on the same night at 11PM after calling the hotel to ensure there is a room.

Mr Karma picked up my call politely and offered me a room! I went to the hotel, checked in and felt like i have been saved from a slump!

Hotel Tibet is off town, which provided a sense of calm and peace. It's clean, charming and most importanly the staffs are friendly. Breakfast at the courtyard is wonderful especially during the month of October when temperature is cool and nice. Food at the restaurant is good and Illy coffee is available too (very important for me as the local coffee is too thin for me).

Decoration of the hotel and room is very detailed, with Tibetan paintings, carpets and of course Tibetan costume staffs :) I love the atmosphere and it feels like I have stayed in Tibet for 2 nights!

There should be more quality hotel like this one in Kathmandu! Once again, Mr Karma, thanks for taking my reservation at the wee hour, appreciated that very much.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank EvaTravelTheWorld
Reviewed 5 January 2012

This property is located in a quiet area, just in front of the Radisson. The building looks interesting from outside, but once you enter you find a very dark front desk. The decoration is Tibetan style, but unfortunately the lobby is not inviting enough to appreciate it. It has elevator.
My room in the 3 floor was big, with a refrigerator, and double bed with a soft mattress. The carpet had a lot of stains, and the courtains were dirty. Again problems with the water. When we opened the faucet and the shower to check the water, it runned brown for several minutes, until it got clear. It has a small air conditioner unit in the wall facing a small terrace. Be careful when turning it on for cool air or heated, could throw dust into the room.

The breakfast was simple, without fruits. People with lactose problems should ask the staff to prepare eggs without milk. The dinner was average.

Internet is not included in the room, so be prepared to use the PCs available in the lobby and pay for fraction of time, or use the wifi from your room but you will have to pay around 385 Rps for 24 hours. Finally, the hotel charged the local travel agency which helped me to make the reservation for Dec.31. So when making the reservation look carefully about the internet service. If you make your reservation with a local travel agency, ask them to include the service in the rate.

Remember that in Kathmandu is a rule to have the light going and coming, so if you have your computer connected, mind the power surges.

There is one good supermarket nearby, some shops and a Chinese restaurant dark enough to run outside and look for another place (not too much around the area except for the restaurant inside the Radisson). 15 minutes walking from this property to the Thamel. At 10 minutes you will have the Garden of Dreams (with a good restaurant inside).
I pay for this hotel US$98 (expensive for what I got, but it seems it was the best offer for the night of December 31, and scaping from the noisy and dusty Thamel).

I think that previous reviews, don't match with the property I stayed at.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 January 2012

An excellent mid-range choice in Kathmandu. We stayed at the Hotel Tibet twice, at the beginning and end of a two week tour, and we had a wonderful time. The hotel is in a safe and quiet location, a 10 minute walk from chaotic Thamel. It is easy to find, as it is located next to the Radisson.

Our rooms were both clean and spacious. They had sofas, televisions and heaters. There was always hot water. We found the staff to be very obliging. Breakfast was fair; omelettes made to order, cereals, yoghurt. There is an 'illy' coffee bar in the restaurant, which was most welcome, and the outdoor seating area with fire pit provides a lovely atmosphere in the evenings. The roof terrace has great views of Kathmandu.

We would definitely return.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 December 2011

Haven't stayed here, but had a grand tour and a couple of meals. Beautiful hand-painted and hand-carved trimmings throughout the hotel with great attention to detail. Each room has hand-picked carpets from the family-owners' carpet business, and very old black & white or sepia photographs of Tibetans adorning the walls. The executive suites have a shared, but private, terrace that overlooks the Boudhanath Stupa. The rooms are lovely, spacious, well-equipped. The meals were fine, though breakfast service was rather slow. A lovely place. The only downside is that it takes a while to get to Thamel or Patan with all the traffic. The upside is... it's at Bouddha!

Room Tip: The executive suites are very nice, but the standard rooms are every bit as nice!
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends