“Good quiet hotel”

Ranked #93 of 203 Hotels in Kathmandu
Warrington,England
“Good quiet hotel”
Reviewed 13 April 2012

Enjoyed our stay here , had a room at the back on the top floor , very peaceful as everyone gets up early in Nepal. Room was very clean and spacious with TV and fridge when we had electric! Good location just on the outskirts of Thamel .
Nice rooftop seating area with good views . Free Internet available down in reception.
The hotels travel agent got us good flights for Pokhara and recommended what turned out to be an excellent hotel in Pokhara (Trekkers Inn) getting us the same rates as Agoda.
If I ever get back to Kathmandu then I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: The higher the floor the quieter the room.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank dwl321

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Christchurch
Reviewed 12 April 2012

By Nepalese standards the Tibetan Guest House in Kathmandu is very good. Excellant restaurant, plenty of hot water and friendly helpful staff.

Room Tip: Ask for superior room.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank caerlaverock
A
Reviewed 9 April 2012

I have been in a standard room in this hotel and I think I passed my worst night in Nepal. the room was not clean. the bed-sheets were also dirty and I couldn't sleep very well. in all areas in Hotel there was a bad smell. there was no WiFi in rooms and if you want to use WiFi you should sit in the bar in the first floor. but in the bar there was not enough electricity outlet. also in rooms there was not enough electricity outlet. although the electricity was disconnected for a long time. the elevator was old and corridors were not clean so much. all the time in night, the bark of dogs, drunk scream and noise of cars and motorcycles disturbed me and I couldn't have a calm sleep. I don't suggest this guest house. staff were not friendly and you should pay for everything.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Majid A

Travellers are raving about these Kathmandu hotels

Maroochydore, Australia
Reviewed 21 March 2012

I had picked another guest house to stay but our trekking agent had put us up there. We kept an open mind as we were about to take part in a 10 day trek and wanted to be open to anything. Gulp, the room was truly sad. I had to clean most surfaces before I unpacked. The only place I felt was ok was the bed. Everything else needed a good wash. From their curtains to carpets to the bathroom. Bring ear plugs, we couldn't sleep peacefully for the time we were there. Stay there if you have too but when we finished our trek, we did stay where I had initially wanted. Cheaper, cleaner and much more comfortable...

• Stayed February 2012
3 Thank KMSM44
Burlington, Canada
Reviewed 29 February 2012

Travellers to Nepal should understand some fundamentals about 3 star hotels in Kathmandu:
1. Thamel is still the heart of the tourist shopping/restaurant area
2. Internet connections are frequently intermittent even when your laptop tells you you are connected.
3. Hot water isn't guarranteed
4. Power interruptions are frequent.
I have been visiting Nepal quite frequently since 1969 and most often stayed at the Kathmandu Guest House. This time, because of noise from construction and night clubs that often continues into the small hours around the KGH I opted for the Tibet Guest House and was not disappointed.
Location is on the fringe of Thamel so still within walking distance of all shops & restaurants and most of all QUIET at night.
Rates are also very reasonable especially if you book through TripAdvisor or Agoda - I paid US$30 for a deluxe room. First room I stayed in (215) was "iffy" but second time I was very happy.
The restaurant and the food was ok but I do prefer to eat out especially in Thamel where there is a great variety of choices all within a short walking distance.
Generally I found the staff helpful and friendly but I do speak Nepali so obviously that helped.
I will definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Best room I stayed in was 204 (1 king sized bed). Avoid 215
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Adrian G
Detroit Lakes, Minnesota
Reviewed 22 February 2012

We chose this hotel on the recommendation of friends. The location was perfect for moving around the city. The rooms were a little small, but generally clean. The staff were helpful and friendly and always recognized our arrivals and departures. The breakfasts, which were not included, were reasonably priced and quite substantial. The rates were competitive and were actually lower than advertised due to "low season". Good wi-fi to purchase. Would stay here again if I return to Kathmandu.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank gpotvin
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 7 February 2012

Have stayed at TGH many times over the years. The total experience is what keeps me coming back. The hotel did away with the buffet breakfast (2011) which was always a great way to have a nice relaxed start to the day. The dinning room staff seems to be new with very few able to UNDERSTAND English. Order was seldom correct. The desk staff is outstanding. Never a problem with them or a problem that they can not correct. Watch out for "Jim Carey" as he will pull your leg in a heart beat, all in fun. The rooms are fine except they are never cleaned to western standards. I don't know if it is the Tibetan thing or not but the tea houses on the trekking circuit seem to have the same problem with not understanding the need to clean. The bell men all cheerful and very professional. The rooftop is one of the best in KTM. It seems they are trying to replace the aged carpet in some areas and cover the hallways which are stone and carries the least sound all over the floor. Hope these comment help. I did not want to be a bad reporter but I told it like it is and how it has been. I enjoy the place and the people and will continue to return.

Room Tip: Stay away from the rooms on the left side of main building. These are close to a family building th...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple