See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed October 12, 2013

We (my husband and I, in the mid - fifties, from Germany) just returned from our Nepal trip and a second stay in Kathmandu, Dolphin Guest House. For the first stay, we had a double bed room with internal bathroom, very small but clean and always with hot water (which is not standard in Nepal!! At all, not in the budget hotel). Electricity is always a problem because of arbitrary cut off of power by who knows who . But there is always emergency illumination in every room an bathroom (my experience at least). When we returned to Kathmandu after two and a half week, we had a double bed room with shared bathroom - and this is the reason for one star less: I assume, that this is - in contrary to the bathrooms belonging to only one room - are not cleaned up as carefully. The quality of beds is the average nepali quality - everywhere where we stayed in hotels it was the same - so it is okay for this price.
What we liked the most:

- Mr. Joshis an his staff`extraodinary kindness who give help whenever you need it, for example, when youre looking for a hotel in another city, a bus ticket etc.
- the roof garden !!! Nice flowers, nice view (at all: you can see the golden roof of Swayambunath at night - very nice!)
- the breakfast - rolls - hmmmmmhjammmy....

Tomorrow we will try our present for breakfast - Nepali organic coffee, an we will remember the good times in Kathmandu...

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed July 21, 2013

We are a couple in our fifties just back from three weeks Nepal in July.
We arrived in Kathmandu without accommodation plans, had a coffee and chose the Dolphin Guest House based on Trip Advisor reviews.
We were delighted with the choice.
The guesthouse is in the north of Thamel but only a pleasant walk to all parts of Thamel and a little further to Durbar Square.
We stayed at the Dolphin twice, before and after a trip to Pokhara.
It ticked all the boxes, quiet, secure, clean, good sized rooms and hot showers.
The real bonus however was the service and friendliness of Surendra and his staff who were more than happy to talk and help. They were great sources of information about what to see, how to get there, what to avoid and general cultural information.
Surendra booked our Pokhara bus trip and his staff got us to the bus in the morning so we didn't get lost. They were constantly anticipating possible needs (umbrellas if you need them - and it was the monsoon, wi-fi, advice on eating places, prices you might expect to pay etc) as well as happily fielding our direct questions.
Surendra speaks a number of languages including English and French (we believe he is quite competent in about eight of them) and I am very grateful for his patience in conversing with this elementary Australian French student trying out his skills, or lack thereof, with him. It was a highlight for me and entertained my wife who could see some basic return for my two years of lessons at the Alliance Francaise.
A very pleasant experience which we recommend to others.

Room Tip: The staff will no doubt tell you that the rooms on one side of the hotel have bathrooms while those on the other side have a shared bathroom. We had the former during our first visit and the latter by choice when we returned after travelling elsewhere and were happy with both but there was no competition for the shared bathroom at the time. We understand the sharing was between two rooms only in any event.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank DannyandLinda
Reviewed May 31, 2013

I was pleased to stay there. Yes, there may be places around with bigger rooms for similar budget, but overall it’s excellent. The hotel staff is very kind. Breakfast in the terrace is tasty (the coffee!) and relaxing. Didn’t have a computer, they left me use one downstairs. The place is well maintained. Hot water all time even under power shortage. More importantly, it is safe. The door is constantly watched.
I did not know KTM or Nepal before, and during my 3 days there, the owner suggested a program of visit day by day, which I followed. Flawless, great time. I would have not dared take buses or go to the places I’ve been without his guidance. Also of good advice when I queried the price of things and taxis. Very friendly and resourceful.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed May 22, 2013

I experienced the Dolphin as a quiet and relaxing place at the brink of the busy Thamel quarter. The host (Mr. Joshi) is a very cordial person and nice to talk to on possibly every issue a visitor could think of, from informations on daytrips around Kathmandu, the appropriate taxi fare to any sight and also interesting background informations on Nepali culture and traditions.The rooms were always nice and clean, hot showers were available at any daytime as well as Wi-Fi and the rooms were taken care of on a daily basis. Another nice feature of the Guesthouse is its quiet rooftop terrace where it is also possible to have a hearty breakfeast in a relaxing atmosphere before one starts into the bustling streets of Kathmandu!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed May 20, 2013

The Dolphin Guest House is run by Mr. Joshi and his wonderful manager Barbarat, they both go out of their way to be helpful and obliging. We were picked up at the airport, no charge and taken straight to the guest house. The rooms are typically Nepali with big blankets to keep you warm if necessary, very clean sheets, light airy rooms,constant hot water and working plumbing! Wardrobes,bedside tables etc.There are power cuts but usually not that much of a nuisance. Location is great, down a tiny back street but only a 5 minute stroll to Thamel where all the action is, very little street noise at night, there is a lovely roof terrace with a pretty garden complete with sparrows.........we even had a complimentary pot of tea when we arrived. You can also leave anything you want in a secure room if you go to Pokhara trekking, which is what we did, spending our last two days in Katmandu before returning to the UK. This is value for money with a cheery smile.

Room Tip: Go for the rooms on the 3rd floor, little bit lighter..........
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends