“Excellent in any way”

Li. Xiang Apartments
Ranked #146 of 290 Speciality Lodging in Taipei
Reviewed 7 July 2014

I stayed at Li Xiang for 4 months and I was really happy with the place, I can just highly recommend this hostel.
The staff is very, very friendly and trustful. Their English is pretty good, so communication was never a problem.

The price:
For a longer stay like mine, Li Xiang might seem pretty pricey on first sight. But when you take all the advantages and convenience into account, I don’t think it’s overpriced at all. The only additional fees I had to pay was electricity, everything else is included in the rent. And even electricity was very cheap: I paid 3000 NTD (100 USD) for 4 months with heavy use of the AC.

The location:
Li Xiang has a really good location. If you are studying at National Taiwan Normal University (NTNU/Shida University), the location couldn’t be better. It just takes 5 minutes to go to campus.
Also, the hostel lies inside the Shida night market, which means you have plenty of restaurants around, you can do simple grocery shopping, there are stores for stationary goods and of course a lot of small clothing shops.
However, Li Xiang lies in a side alley, which means it’s pretty quiet at night. If you book a hostel close to a frequented street, it can be very loud at night, since the windows are badly insulated in Taiwan.

The room:
The room is pretty small, but has everything you need. The mattress is big enough for two people, and most important - it’s comfortable. Many mattresses in Taiwan are really hard.
Also there is a TV with some english-spoken channels, like HBO.
The bathroom is more or less modern and very clean. There is enough pressure on the shower as well.
BUT: In the winter months (January/February, maybe March), it can get really cold in the room, since Taiwanese buildings are insulted really badly. It can get down to 13 C degree in the room!
In the spring, summer and autumn, it will get really warm and humid in Taiwan. However, the AC works really well in the room, and it has many functions as well.

Cleaning/amenities:
The room gets cleaned once a week, as well as changing the bed sheets and the towels. I always found the cleaning to be very thorough, with a lot of attention to detail. This is very important to me.
Also there is Wi-Fi available. I experienced some irregularities from time to time, but usually you could get a fair 20 MBit/sec.
In the top floor there is a water dispenser and a washing machine, free to use. Also you can hang your clothes there to dry.
The disposal of garbage is very simple: Just fill any plastic bag, and when it’s full you can leave it in the stairways for the staff to pick up. This might not sound as important, but trash disposal is usually kind of a hassle in Taiwan, since you have to bring your trash to a certain place at a certain time, where you have to hand it to the trash truck.

All in all I was very happy with Li Xiang and can highly recommend it to anyone, if for a long or a short stay.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Ueli K

Reviewed 29 May 2014

I enjoyed my stay at Li Xiang and definitely would be visiting there again when I am back in taipei. The location was indeed superbly located and for a couple with near zero planning for our taipei itinerary, we had no prob with reaching most of our destinantion with the train station just 5 mins away. In addition with the amount of food and shopping available at shida night market underneath u, u were never get hungry. However I think for guests who stays for more days, a free change of towels and bed sheets will definitely make my stay even more li xiang :)

• Stayed: May 2014
Reviewed 8 October 2013 via mobile

Li Xiang hostel allowed my wife and I to share a single bed room together as all rooms were fully booked. The room is very cosy and clean, fully equipped, and even desktop computer was provided in the rooms. What my wife and I appreciate the most is the locations! Below is the ShiDa night market which I find is of a bigger night market and many of the shops offer lower prices compared to others. Traveling to other places via public transport or cab from Li Xiang hostel is very convenient too since it is located centrally in Taipei. Most importantly, it is very value for you money!

• Stayed: October 2013
2  Thank ScorpHo
Reviewed 12 May 2013

seems like the hostel has a few rooms for each floors up to the top(6th or7th floor).
You can see a little bit of a tip of Taipei101 from the top, and location is convenient to see around, especially 师大夜市 Shida night market, where lots of university students and youngsters get together.

The room I stayed in was cozy and fashionable.
The bed was a little bit hard but big enough for two or three people to lie down.
The washroom was not separate with shower as typical as Taiwanese washroom.
I could use free wifi and SONY Bravia with no trouble.

Washer on the top floor is free to use, they set a detergent beside too, but a staff told me the dryer was out of order when I visited so you have to hang your laundry on your own. Despite that, I have to make it to meet up with my friends, and they helped me dry my laundry while I was away, besides they folded my laundry and tidied up into a paper bag with no crease.
So impressed staff are really nice. Although they don't speak English so much, a young staff, maybe in the 20s, who I met there, tried hard to explain things about the hostel to me and listen to my poor English and Chinese.

The security is good since they use magnetic sensored key.
They didn't take credit card.

I guess you need to book a room as early as you can before you visit, especially when you visit during busy business hours, such as weekends or National holidays.

Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 26 March 2013

we went for this coz of the following reasons:
1.fastest and friendliest and clear respond when booking or any questions.
we had a very good first impression of them.

2.the location is very near to mrt taipower station exit 3..basically u just need to turn right after the exit and walk straight on till you see the correct lane to turn right.
not more than 5 mins walk.

3.its in the shida night market.the area itself is quiet and peaceful.taipei main station is just about 3 stops away and xi mending is well easy to get to from their alternate line.

4.room is great for 2pax,it was spotless clean when we check in.wifi is free and great.tv channel endless to choose from.check out super easy..and entry security is good.so u dont need to worry if its safe to put ur yhings in room..although we were not provided room cleaning service.but it did not bother us for 4days3nights.probably they had a solution if someone stay for long period of days and wants their room clean?

overall,great hostel.with ur own bathroom..

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank jeraine
理想家, 經理 at Li. Xiang Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded 17 April 2013

Dear valued guest,
Thank you for choosing Li-Xiang Hostel and giving us your feedback for further improvement of our service and facilities.We sincerely appreciate your encouragements so that we may provide even greater comfort and enjoyment to our guests in the future.

We look forward to welcoming you back on your future visit.

Regards,
Li Xiang

Reviewed 14 March 2013

The location is really good! It's close to a famous night market(so,a little bit noisy),and only 10 mins walk to the MRT. Though it's small, still enough for us.
The shower is tiny,but the toilet and the shower are separated by a sliding door. It really surprised me! And I like it!
There are a big size TV and a desktop in our room,and they also have wifi!

Overall,it's a very cheap,nice and comfortable hostel. I think I'll go back there next time!

• Stayed: March 2013

We look forward to welcoming you back on your future visit.

Regards,
Li Xiang

Reviewed 11 December 2012

I stayed on this hostel during 5 weeks. I think the stuffs are excellent, always trying to help. The room was clean, well equipped, even though a bite small. The hostel is very well located: very close to a tube station and next to a night market. Based on my stay there, I highly recommend Li Xiang Hostel.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Mariam B
理想家, 業者 at Li. Xiang Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded 12 December 2012

Thanks,Mariam.
you are also a wonderful guest. hope to see you soon!

-Wen^^