So far, this is the worst experience I've had with a hotel/apartment (anywhere in the world).
We booked a room for 30 days, but after 4 days, we actually moved to another hotel (for 4 days) and then rented an apartment after that. This is despite the fact that we knew we couldn't get back any of the money we paid.
First, the good things:
* The location is pretty good. Close to an MRT station, and Shida is a nice area.
* The owner and employees are pretty nice.
The not so good things:
* The roaches. These are the very scary monster variety of cockroaches. And they're in the tiny room with you. For me, this is a deal-breaker. I simply can't handle living and sleeping with roaches.
* The size. Whoever took the photos of the rooms is a genius. We have lived in tiny apartments/rooms in NYC, Tokyo, Taipei, Europe, and elsewhere. Li Xiang, though is less than half of the smallest room I've ever seen (and all rooms are pretty much the same size). Plus, the bathroom is barely separate from the bed area (i.e., it's not fully walled off).
* The noise. This is a lesser concern for me, since I don't generally mind noise. Still, you can here everything from slightly coughing in other rooms to even the building next door.
* As we found out, there are much better places in Taipei for around the same amount of money.
Definitely a disappointing experience.
We did ask if we could get any of the rent money back. And to be completely fair, the owner had absolutely no obligation to return any of it. Still, also a little disappointing that he didn't care enough about our experience to try to make it better in a small way.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- At Li-Xiang Apartments, we provide short-term monthly accommodation for backpackers, exchange students, business personnels, people on leisure trips, etc. Here you don't need to pay the high daily rates of a hotel, and at the same time, you don't need to give a two months deposit as is the case of a regular long-term apartment in Taiwan. ... more less