“Good Location, Nice Hotel”

Wonstar Hotel Zhonghua
Ranked #285 of 586 Hotels in Taipei
Reviewed 1 October 2016

This hotel is located at a corner of the crowded shopping paradise - Ximending. I had stayed here many years ago and in this revisit, it has been renovated. This room is clean and tidy. The room size is comfortably big as compared to many other hotels. Free bottled water, canned drinks and simple snacks are provided in the room when I checked in. Airconditioning is adjustable to suit one's comfort, though a little noisy. The frontdesk and housekeeping staff are helpful and polite. When I requested for a room on higher floor, the frontdesk immediately made the change without any question asked. There are good varieties for breakfast in the cosy restaurant and an excellent coffee machine. I have stayed in many hotels in Taiwan, I will rate this hotel as "A" among hotels of its price range.

Room Tip: Higher floor with window facing the main road for better view.
  • Stayed: October 2016, travelled on business
1  Thank Tangent113

Reviewed 4 July 2016 via mobile

Let's get 1 thing straight. There are 2 Wonstar in ximending. ZhongHua and ximen.
ZhongHua is the newer hotel.
Stayed for 4d3n with my family.
Location is at the outside of ximending.
Front desk is always smiling and greeting you. Whenever I ask them qns and they are always very helpful.
Check in and check out was smooth.
Email the hotel for some queries and will always get a reply. Thanks Emma!
Breakfast is simple and good.
Love the freshly brew coffee every morning.
Turn left from hotel- mos burger 24hr, a steamboat restaurant.
Turn right around the corner, another 'local buffet' and further down a family mart. Local beef noodle on much further right.
Exit ximen mrt 6. Walk straight along the main road and its there.. 5 mins walk.
Opposite the hotel is a 2 floor high store that sells facial wash/cosmetic/socks/snacks/drinks/wine/everything....
Room is comfortable and big.
Hot toilet seat. Love the shower.
Bath tub for minimum deluxe room.
There is a terrace on 9th floor. And ready hot water there.
Overall my family had a great stay and will return.
Thank you Wonstar for taking good care of me and my family.

Stayed: July 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank Joshua P
Reviewed 15 March 2015

This is by far the most terrible hotel I have ever stay! If I could give "no star" rating, I will. Room was old, carpet was dirty and hallway was dark. When I check in, the room smile musty so I asked for another room. The front desk told me no other room available and I have to upgrade to next level room. Because I reserved two nights so I have to paid for two nights difference first. This is new to me because I have not stay for second night yet. After I check into second, the room still smile musty and I found the carpet on a corner of room was wet.

I was not able to sleep that night because room was so cold and when I asked front desk and staff said the hotel has no heat. I requested to deliver extra blanket but no one bother to deliver it to me. I have called second time. The wall was so thin that I can heard every move at the room next to me. Since no heat in the room and the noisy next door I decided no to stay for second night and called the front desk asked to check out next day. Front desk staff told me they will not refund me for the second night. This is terrible, terrible hotel.

Room Tip: Ask to view the room you are going to stay before pay for it and pay it with cash.
  • Stayed: March 2015, travelled solo
2  Thank MaxMei
Reviewed 6 January 2015 via mobile

I have stayed at the Ximen branch of this hotel before, and it was decent. This is the first time I stayed at the Zhonghua branch.

Pros:
Great location, a short walk about 5 minutes or so from the MRT. Every taxi driver knows this branch (which is good because don't have to clarify). Room sizes are decent.

Cons:
Bathroom is pretty small and dingy, and room is very dim. The hotel is pretty old, and while staying there it was winter, but the room heater doesn't work. Aircon worked too well and we didn't switch it on after a few days because it was too cold (even after turning to the max warmth). The thermostat made some clicking noise which was distracting.. main issue was that the water stopped on 2 different days. First day they told us that the pump tripped, and they are not sure when they'll fix it. It was at night and we couldn't wash up after a long day. The next morning was slightly better but the water still splutters. I called the reception again and the lady said if we need to wash up, we could use the bathroom for staff or if we need to shower, we will need to go to their Ximen branch (not far but utterly ridiculous). It got better but 2 days later there was no water again! Now they said that it wasn't the pump, but something else not working. They had a water truck coming to supply water but it was only coming at 0230. In the morning?! Wow.

Anyway I do not recommend. They didn't apologize as well.. ugh. I will not stay there again.

• Stayed: December 2014
1  Thank ArielSOng
Reviewed 23 November 2014

Location is at the quiet end of the Xinmending area. 10-15mins walk (a straight line) to the Ximen station. Plenty of shopping and eating options nearby. The famous Yonghe soy milk shop is a 3mins stroll away. They operated every morning around 6 to 2pm. Drop by and enjoy Taiwanese style breakfast if you are sick of the hotel breakfast which is the same food everyday.

Room was quite bad in my opinion. Very dated and badly needed a renovation. Bad impression right at the beginning. First, the door to our room was opened when we first arrived. First thought was "was the room not ready yet for check in?, "was the housekeeper still trying to clean the room?" All the other hotels that I have stayed in, they don't just leave the door wide open when guests check in. Then, one of the lamps was not working and we had to call to send someone over to change the bulb. And the worse part is, there was no heating and the air conditioning was freezing cold! No matter how we tried to adjust the thermostat, nothing worked. The average daily weather was around 19deg in Taipei (we visited in Nov). We gave up and turned off the air conditioning and opened the windows instead! It was noisy to keep the windows open. It only got quieter when it was late at night. And so we "survived" the stay. Free wifi, was alittle unstable at the beginning, but after that it was working fine.

The hotel was pretty strict in the check in and check out time. Check in was at 1500. We arrived at 1430 and was told to wait. On the check out day, we got a reminder.

On a positive note, I would like to compliment the front desk staff Kaka for providing a good customer service. She always greeted us whenever we walked pass, was very patient and sincere.

Overall, I would not stay here again, There are better options out there...

Room Tip: Ask for a room with windows!
  • Stayed: November 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 November 2014 via mobile

Stayed for 4 nights at this hotel. About 5 mins walk from Exit 6 Ximending Metro Station. It is located along the main road beside Mirada Shopping Centre. Room is small and clean, in this case large suitcase is not recommended as there is limited space to walk about. The bathroom also has a bathtub. Hotel also serve breakfast. Although variety is not much but still acceptable. The best i liked is the braised meat rice 卤肉饭。

Tips: Be sure to try some of the delicious food within the Ximending area like Ah Zhong Mian Xian 阿宗麵線 located along Emei street.

Stayed: November 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 November 2014 via mobile

It was my first time in Taipei and decided to stay here since I saw they have a good review. I got myself a suite room in the 9th floor. I really didnt like the room. The carpet was so dirty, the room smelled like dead animals and i requested for an extra bed which i paid, but only got a matress on the floor! I did not get what i paid for and i dont think people should be staying here! The staff are also rude and not even welcoming. I carried all my luggages up while they only watched me struggle.

Stayed: October 2014, travelled with family