“Great Hotel”

Ranked #48 of 852 Hotels in Bangkok
Las Cruces,NM
“Great Hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2012

We stayed at the Renaissance Hotel in January 2012 for 4 days. The hotel is located 30 minutes from the international airport. We had a hard time finding it because the taxi driver doesn't really know where it's at. Finally, after 3 attempts he found it,since it right across from the Intercon Hotel with a big" I" sign in Sukhumvit/Ratchaprasong Street. Our check in was smooth and easy. We got in our room right away since it's it's 3 am. The hotel is located in front of the BTS station and shopping mall. What I love about this hotel is it's convenience to everything.We are platinum elite so we have access of the executive lounge with free breakfast and hor d'oeuvres. The rooms are modern and spacious and the beds comfortable. The pool,spa and the exercise areas are located at the top floor overlooking the city. I had a massage at the hotel and it was relaxing which helped me unwind after a long flight. The only downside with Thailand is that we have difficulty communicating and they can charge you more money than what you want to pay if they know you're a foreigner. For example at the airport the AOT booth will charge you 1100 baht but if you go down the first floor you'll find a taxi that will take you to your hotel for 350-400 baht fixed price.If ou're more of a seasoned traveler you can take the metered taxi but if you're new to the area use the one in the first floor with fixed price to take you to your hotel. You just have to learn how to bargain for a fair price. Overall we enjoyed our stay at the Renaissance hotel and hope to stay there again in the future.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (557)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2012

We stayed at Lebua at State Tower in the beginning of our trip before going to Chiang Mai. We stayed at Renaissance Bangkok at the tail end of our trip on our way home. I didn't think Renaissance could top Lebua but it did for a few reasons. The location was better for our needs - shopping and dining options are plentiful and closer. The breakfast buffet was just as fabulous. I didn't use the pool but it looked heavenly and in my opinion an indoor pool makes much more sense if the hotel is in the middle of a big city like Bangkok. Service was good, we had to wait about 15 mins for our room but it wasn't a big deal. We were on the 10th floor but the view was still fabulous and the rain shower head in the bathroom was so relaxing. The room wasn't huge but it was very well designed and laid out. Appreciated the little things like the channel guide in the tv remote holder and the information booklet in the room that had tips on shopping and attractions. Their "navigator" desk in the lobby had answers to all our questions. Don't miss the "Food Loft" in Central Chit Lom across the street for the relaxed, affordable and fun dining vibe. (On the same floor, you can actually find a good selection of books in English.) I will definitely stay here if we ever get the opportunity to visit Bangkok again.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Manchester, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2012

I recently spent three nights here while on a business trip to Bangkok. It was my first time staying at this hotel but hopefully not my last. The hotel is very conveniently located near the Chit Lom BTS Sky Train station with inexpensive access to other parts of Bangkok as well as an easy route to and from the airport. The local area has shopping and restaurants within easy walking distance. Upon my arrival, I received a warm welcome at the hotel. The restaurants, executive lounge, and fitness facilities are excellent. My room was very well appointed. The work station for my computer was exactly what I needed; the bed was comfortable; and the bathroom had both a shower and a separate tub. The bathroom was interesting because it was separated from the rest of the room by glass instead of walls. Screens could be lowered for privacy.

Breakfast at the Flavors restaurant is incredible. The buffet includes several different types of cuisine as well as fresh juices, coffee, and tea. It was an incredible spread, but it is also the source of my only complaint about my stay. I paid a little extra and booked a room that included breakfast with my stay. This was confirmed upon my arrival. For whatever reason, I was approached all three days and asked to pay for breakfast. I signed the bill knowing that the charges would be deducted on my check-out if they ever showed up on my bill. Unfortunately, on Day 2 of my stay, a restaurant employee insisted that I could not add the meal to my room charge and had to pay with cash or a credit card. I explained that breakfast was included in my room rate, and she insisted otherwise. I asked to speak to the manager, and the issue was quickly resolved. Unfortunately, a similar thing happened on Day 3. I asked the young lady working the entrance of the restaurant if she would call the manager to confirm that breakfast was included, but instead of doing so, she insisted that she was right and that I had to pay. Instead of being seated, I had to leave the restaurant and find a manager to confirm that my rate included breakfast. The manager called the restaurant and confirmed to them that my rate included breakfast. When I returned to the restaurant, the young lady who refused to seat me the first time was angry and embarrassed. I said nothing to her of the incident, and she seated me at a table, but if looks could have killed, I would not be writing this review.

In spite of my issue at breakfast, this is a fantastic hotel. The staff is very helpful and welcoming. When I come to Bangkok in the future, I intend to stay here again.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Greg A
Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2012

The location is excellent for shopping, eating, and hopping on the sky train to go any where in the city. The rooms are modern and clean with wood floors and a very nice shower and a separate tub. Breakfast is pricey but if you can catch it free with your stay a lovely buffet with food from around the world. We also enjoyed our spa treatments. We will stay here again for our next visit to Bangkok.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Cathy W
leeds
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2012

Very nice hotel located fairly centrally. We got a taxi from the airport which was probably the easiest way to get here and it took around 40 minutes. As I was a Marriott card member we were upgraded to a club room on the 21st floor which was really nice. Some people have complained about the bathroom which has a glass screen which is opaque, but if this bothers you there are some blinds that you can put down that cover the glass partition. We found the hotel really comfortable with very friendly staff and there was also a huge selection of food for breakfast. The sky train is also a 5 minute walk from the hotel which is very handy. The MBK is around a 30 minute walk from the hotel which has a whole host of shops and there are also many other malls close by. I wouldnt hesitate to recommend this hotel.

• Stayed February 2012
1 Thank devdulai
New York, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2012

We were here 5 nights, in a corner "studio suite" (really just a large room) with great views. The hotel is very well located, right in the middle of the area with the high end malls and other top hotels and restaurants, and the Sky-train station is right next to the hotel. The staff is superb without exception. Everyone greeted us warmly every time we came or went. The club lounge is excellent, with a great breakfast and a big buffet and open bar in the evening. There are several fine restaurants in the hotel, and a vast array within walking distance. It's totally safe and secure. And it's all new and attractive. It's possible to spend much more money in Bangkok and you'll get great service, too. But this place is very competitively priced.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jack_3B
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2012

This is by far the best hotel I've stayed in. From the moment I arrived, to the moment I left, I was made to feel at home. The staff were absolutely amazing. Beautiful spacious rooms, amazing food and one of the best locations in Bangkok (shopping, transport, restaurants) - what more could you want. Whenever I come to Bangkok, I won't stay anywhere else. Highly, highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Corner Suites give you an amazing view of Bangkok.