“Great location for a couple nights in the city”

Hansar Bangkok Hotel
Ranked #40 of 859 Hotels in Bangkok
Portland, Oregon
“Great location for a couple nights in the city”
Reviewed 10 April 2012

We arrived late one evening to stay a couple days en route to Phuket. The hotel was beautiful. The staff was extremely helpful and polite. The included breakfast was the best we had in Asia. The minibar is included, though sparse. The pool is refreshing and has a great view of the city. The gym is modern and well equipped. We had a city view suite and the bed was large and comfy. The shower was amazing (but the floors are slippery when wet, so beware). The location is close enough to the action, yet far enough removed from the tourist areas to feel relaxing (adjacent to the Four Seasons and the St. Regis). We hired a cab driver (who goes by the name Potato, so you'll remember him) for a whole day. We spent the entire day being driven the the Grand Palace, various temples, local spots for lunch, shopping, frequent stops for drinks, and ultimately the Soy Patpong area for a crazy night of cocktails, dancing and countless offers of fake designer goods, lady boys and ping pong shows. All this, while he and his air conditioned car waited for us, for about $30 US (which included a generous tip). We heard legend of how the Thai mafia runs the Patpong district, so it was likely no coincidence that a tuk tuk tried to charge us $100 US for a 5 minute ride to our hotel. Guess I can't blame him for trying, but the final score ended up being 1 for us, 0 for the tuk tuk driver.

Keep in mind that the drivers all try to rope you into canal and other tours where they get a cut of your entry fee. Make your own agenda and tell your driver what you want to do and you'll be fine without feeling railroaded into some nonsense fish farm tour that cost you an arm and a leg. Once we insisted, Potato was on the same page.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank travellerrrrrr

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (395)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Hobe Sound, FL
Reviewed 9 April 2012

I stayed here for 2 nights at the end of my month long trip through Southeast Asia. I was exhausted and I felt like I landed in a little home. I stayed in the studio suite and after walking around I thought, "I want to live here." My second thought," I'm taking a long, hot bath." This is modern elegance meets extreme comfort (a really comfortable mattress! a lovely huge bathroom! ) meets efficient design. Now reallistically one tenth of my kitchen wouldn't fit in here, but it had one... and a little clothes washer/dryer. I actually got to wash my travel jeans before my 37 hour journey home... without them smelling like bad potpourri! Not to mention a lovely little bar, two restaurants with great food, a first class breakfast buffet (I knew I was back in Thailand when I tasted the fresh fruit). I would highly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 April 2012

We stayed here as a couple on a tour of Thailand in March 2012. The rooms are very spacious and the contemporary decor is very chic and of excellent quality.

The hotel is well located being just a short stroll from the sky train terminal , as well as walking distance fromSiam Square and all the Luxury designer stores.

We stayed at 11 hotels during our visit and this was amongst the best .The beds are the most comfortable anywhere , te spa is very good but expensive compared with outside.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 8 April 2012

So, apparently this place is affiliated with SLHW ("Small Luxury Hotel of the World").

To be fair, it is a nice property with nicely constructed furnishings and a half-decent breakfast (I have experienced many in Asia, especially Bangkok). The things that I notice most are as follows:

1. The room has *way* too many mirrors - especially in the bedroom. This is particularly bad feng shui, and I find sleeping rather difficult.

2. Service is a tad too casual. This is supposed to be a luxury hotel - however, they treat their guests like friends / buddy's (especially the concierge).

3. Some of the staff have pretty good english - most, however, struggle to understand what you are requesting for, no matter how slow you speak.

4. The gym is pretty nice, with good quality equipment.

Next time, I'd rather pay a few $$ more and stay at The Sukhothai (excellent!) or Four Seasons (very nice!).

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
67 Thank rtw_traveller2012
Tokyo, Japan
Reviewed 7 April 2012

Great room - the Edge suites are well worth the additional cost. Especially if you have work to do. Free wi-fi was excellent. Choice of 3 good restaurants. Vue bar was good value, expensive otherwise. Liked the gym and pool - not too flash, but great for an hour or two. Skytrain was so close it was a real bonus. So easy to get around.

• Stayed April 2012
2 Thank Brian C
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 5 April 2012

I really surprised why the Hansar Bangkok gets such high ratings. I travel a lot myself and really looked forward to the Hansar stay but must admit that it is over-rated. I think a 4 star deluxe rating would be more appropriate for this hotel. The check-in was ok but the 2nd floor check-in deskwith two recptionists andntwo guests chairs was busy indeed with guests all over the plqce. Perhaps such an "Executive floor style" check-in is not suitale for a 90 room 5 star hotel. The staff was good and attentive but the hotel lacks a lot of international 5 star standards. As an example they do not have a guest directory!! When I asked "why" they told me 'the hotel is only open since one year and the directory is coming soon"! The room service menu s poor in means of presentation, design and certainly selection. The prices in main dining room are very expensive and certainly 5 star plus levels. A steak at the main restaurant is over 50.- USD and a room service Beef Burger was almost 20.- USD (however it was a good quality burger but arrived almost cold at my room). The coffee which supposed to be a Thai gourmet blend was terrible with bitter after-taste. The bakery cafe has a strange design and I could hardly identify the cakes in the display case as it had a strange wooden fence in front. I wanted a non alcohol beer at the bar but they didn't understand what this is. The breakfast was good and plenty.

The suite room was ok but suites in other 5 star hotels are much superior. However the rates at Hansar are cheap at about 240.-USD/night. In any case I rather pay more and get a more livable deluxe suite space. At Hansar they place too much emphasis on the bathroom which I think occupies about 40% of the suite. I felt that the bedroom becomes a part of the bathroom which I did not like. They do have large sliding doors to seperate the bathroom from the bedroom but once they closed the bedroom becomes a box. The TV in the bedroom has a strange location and the bed is a mattress on the elevated floor which makes it very uncomfortable to get out of the bed (however the bedding/linen was of good quality). The bed side controls are also poor without any master controll and one has to get up to close lights. The "do not disturb" sign is located next to the entrance door and I had to get out of bed to find it. Usually all such controls are on the bed side in 5 star hotels. The living area is again small compared to the bathroom and the writing desk had no electric plugs nor a telephone (at least I could not find them). There was no TV guide hence I had no clue what channels are available and I started to switch up and down the program latter. The free mini bar was well stocked and appreciated but cannot make up for the shortfalls.

Another design "eye soar" are the hall ways from the elevator landings to the guest rooms; they feel like garage corridors and feel dirty.

The pool itself is nice but the sun-bed area is small and mostly covered with lots of trees hence Imhad to move my sun chair ever 15 minutes to catch some sun. Around the pool are also some meeting rooms and they did have a seminar in progress. I must say these "two" don't mix....namely business attire and bikinis.

Last but not least I was disappointed about the "view of the Bangkok Sports Club" which they praise on the web site. I never had any view of anything but concrete with the building across from my bedroom just 20 meters away and I could see the people clearly...so needless to say that I closed the curtains which is a shame on a high level floor.

Sorry to say but the Hansar Bangkok was a disappoinment towards the high expectation I had based on the tripadvisor ranking.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
133 Thank Werner R
Ireland
Reviewed 4 April 2012

When you arrive there is a major fuss made about you and you are ushered to the second floor reception. You are then shown to your room. That's it really service wise. Any time we asked the concierge anything they appeared too busy to help and even when they weren't busy it was as if you should know everything about Bangkok yourself and why are you asking us! One night we asked where was a nice bar to go to and the response was well you wont get in wearing that! I was wearing long shorts like most of Thailand in 35 degrees of heat! Not very 5 star if you ask me and quite condescending! Another night we said we would ask the concierge about the weekend market for the next morning as we knew they would be too busy the next day to deal with us! We were told to ask in the morning-when we came back the next morning they were of course too busy! Really nice room and pool but that's all that was 5 star about this hotel!

• Stayed March 2012
184 Thank Silvermouse82
Hansar-Hotel-Resorts, Manager at Hansar Bangkok Hotel, responded to this review, 5 April 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

First of all, I would like to express my sincere apology to hear your disappointment about the concierge department. At Hansar Bangkok Hotel, we take pride in ensuring our customer’s satisfaction. Unfortunately, we did not meet your expectations. If you would be kind enough to contact me at dor@hansarbangkok.com I would like to offer my personal apologies and find out how we can improve of service and standards for valued travelers such as yourself.

Yours sincerely,